• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Liam King

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koji98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Everyone that I know are pretty much considered "geeky", so I never had to really introduce anyone to anime, but I would probably go the same route with FMA and Death Note, though a friend of mine got back into anime after nothing since the toonami years with Beck.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
re: GATEWAY DRUG -- I've had success introducing anime to some of my friends, though I have to admit that these friends were easier sells because of what they already liked; Fantasy, Science Fiction, Mystery/Suspense and Horror novels. Most of them are women, so I go with Mushi-Shi, Moribito, Le Chevalier D'Eon, and Twelve Kingdoms as the "gateways" for the literary crowd. I've hooked a bunch of Urban Fantasy readers with Trinity Blood, and they absolutely love Baccano!!. Monster has won over some of the Mystery/Suspense reading holdouts lately, and they are finally giving some of the other stuff a chance and really enjoying what they are seeing.

Granted, these are probably fans that the industry doesn't want; women, usually over 18, and turned off by fan service. "otaku" stuff is completely wrong for these people. They always ask me first about titles since they want to avoid the otaku shows (yes, this includes BL and yaoi, as well as the boobie-and-bobblehead shows). Sometimes they go looking on their own and find someone who "sells" them on a show they end up hating, so I try to warn them about that kind of stuff in advance. Unfortunately, those titles kind of turn them away from anime, so I have to keep plugging the good, story/character driven titles.

- Book readers have been the most receptive to anime, at least in my experience. I always start them out with shows that have a dub, but that usually is not so important to them after they get into it.

---------------

---and thank you, Mr O'Brien, for your work on so many shows I love. I think you are one of those voice actors with "range', since sometimes I don't even recognize you in one role to the next (Dr. Tenma vs. Lloyd Asplund, anyone?). I am very sorry you had to deal with a "shota" stalker, though I thoroughly got a kick out of hearing about it. (My imagination had the kid cosplaying as Ciel Phantomhive. Very Happy )
fmagrave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
For more obscure anime that may have some newbie appeal, try Dennou Coil, Toward the Terra and Shigurui.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
Being late at night I'll just say I have yet to listen to the ANNcast yet. However I saw in the break down the topic of Range so I thought I would chime in on that.

There is range in the English anime world although not all the VA's have it. The best example of range in my opinion is Brina Palencia. The fact that she played Yui in Negima, Ai Enma in Hell girl and Maho in BECK still blows my mind. On top of the fact that almost all the other characters she has done sound very different. Normally I am able to tell who every VA is in a show without help from ANN or Wiki however whenever Brina is in a show I always guess wrong.

This is just one of the VA's I respect alot for the insane range she has. There are others as well however I'm to tired right now to bother going into making a big list.
Modandrocker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
I've been using Summer Wars to gateway people into it. Other gateways I've been using: Samurai Champloo, FMA, Deathnote. Follow-ups I used depending on their reactions from those: FLCL, Baccano!, Ghost in the Shell SAC.
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
If you're talking about mass appeal, then yeah, it's kinda hard to find something recent that a broad national audience could latch onto. You'd think shows like Death Note, Paranoia Agent, and Samurai Champloo would be good candidates, but none of those really faired all that well on Adult Swim.

A title that I think could work on that level would be Hellsing Ultimate. Unfortunately it's not all out yet, and even if it were, who knows whether or not FUNi would distribute the rest of the show.

Seriously, what the hell is going on with that title? Why haven't we heard anything for more than a year now? I thought during the con season someone would ask about it and we'd get some answers, but apparently that never happened.

Anyway, if I'm the one introducing someone to anime, I always reach for an older title. Being a good two hour action flick with a dub makes Akira an excellent, albeit very obvious choice. Can't go wrong with the historically proven gateway to fandom, heh.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't think you've gotta be offended by RIN. I for one was just shocked you didn't hate it. Serious or not I thought it was just painfully awful.

If you actually took the plot seriously than yes it was awful and didn't make much sense in the end as well

Uh yeah...I get that but what I said is that however you take it I couldn't stand it. Well, sort of reaching a point of 'so awful it's hilarious' anyway.

Quote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Circumstantial nothing. This is exactly the problem. No new fans. No unique, new gateway anime. You know though, I think a big part of the problem is a lack of new blood on the Japanese side. The old guard is disappearing. As you guys said, Shinaki is pretty far from mainstream. I hope Hosoda can attract some new fans because other than him there aren't many people of note in recent years.

They're plenty of new directors the problem is none of them are terribly good and all the best ones we got in the 80's and 90's aren't actively involved in the industry anymore

That's basically what I said. Certainly there are new directors.

Quote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I mean no disrespect to anime VAs but I have to think there would be very little 'do you know how I am' attitude because the answer is going to be 'no' as far as 99% of the population goes.

Fix'd

Okay...'Fixed' kind of only works if you're making a major change. If you just slightly change the wording to add a word that was pretty much implied already it's sort of pointless.
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
I paused right before the Liam interview to respond to the first twenty minutes of the show.

First off: No new theme song? I hope this gets explained later on in the episode.

Next: I think Justin Sevakis should write a sternly worded article about the decline in the quality of anime in the hopes that big-shots in Japan will notice the article and make a big deal about it. Lightning could very well strike twice! I agree with you 100%, and I think it's pretty pathetic when the new shows I most look forward to watching these days are just remakes of older series.

That said, I would not hesitate to recommend Hellsing: Ultimate or FMA: Brotherhood as gateway shows for anime. And I believe Karas has a Batman-like appeal to it that I think could go over well with a lot of newcomers. After those first few joints, I'd probably proceed to shoot them up full of Gurren Lagann and Code Geass -- maybe even some Code Geass R2 if we were really on a bender. And finally, once I know this person is ready for it, I'd get them to chase the Dragonball Kai.

Incidentally, I doubt I would have any problem recommending Mnemosyne to someone who likes over-the-top smut, in general.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
huh, i didn't listen to you guys over the holidays/the last like 2-3 casts. But listening to this i remember why i enjoy it Neutral

Manglobe's segment in Dante's Inforno is cool? that's awesome to hear. Maybe there's hope for them. Was getting skeptical after Sacred Blacksmith :\

mmm.. recent gateway drugs? I definitely agree the quality of recent anime has dropped..

But, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, I still recommend 90s shows. The shows are awesome, and anyone who writes them off as "old" and won't give them a chance is just really missing out <.<. I'd definitely still recommend like Bebop, Trigun, Noiseman, and Akira and stuff to people.

I gotta agree with you guys about the Makoto Shinkai thing. I love his movies, but i hardly ever find myself recommending it to people unless they say they want something like that.

but, good none-otaku-pandering shows.. do they have to be licensed..? O_o. Kaiji, Casshern Sins, Xam'd Lost Memories, Cencoroll, Eve no Jikan. Kaiji is earliest of those airing at '07-'08

I'd like to think that whatever the new shows AdultSwim gets will help out. But then I look at Moribito .. <.<. at least that show looked nice?

-

huh. I really enjoyed listening to this weeks guest. in this latter casts i'd been finding myself less interested in the guests.. but I liked this one. Good anncast this week.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
Modandrocker wrote:
I've been using Summer Wars to gateway people into it. Other gateways I've been using: Samurai Champloo, FMA, Deathnote. Follow-ups I used depending on their reactions from those: FLCL, Baccano!, Ghost in the Shell SAC.

I'd add R.O.D., The Girl Who Lept Through Time, Princess Mononoke & Spirited Away to that list, just off the top of my head.

Samurai Champloo was the cool anime that I was thinking about (again off the top of my head) as a good gateway. Wonderful animation, dub, music, story, music, action... it's a very solid, enjoyable title that goes over well with a Western audience. In '04-'05 it was THE cool show on campus (next to FMA).

More recently I'd point to Moribito, although I wish they'd put more action into the later half -it was another really solid, well above average title I'd recommend to others.

I totally agree; the creative powers that be in Japan need to stop slowing poisoning their fan base with wave after wave of ultra niche titles and get back to telling great stories with great animation.

For me, I got back into anime in early 2004 after watching R.O.D. on CN and was blown away. Akira was the last real anime I'd seen, and that was back in High School. My point is: it was interesting/cool shows like it and Cowboy Bebop (among many others) that hooked me deep, NOT harems or moe. It's the hope of finding other gems that keeps me interested.

And we need more influential, iconic characters like Spike Spiegel of Bebop Fame!

I understand that these niche titles make money (for how much longer?), but the larger audience, as well as the untapped audience, aren't being serviced or brought in. And as everybody knows, people will go elsewhere for entertainment if they aren't getting what they want (like towards video games).
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
I actually didn't mind the Honey and Clover dub. Razz
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

And we need more influential, iconic characters like Spike Spiegel of Bebop Fame!

nowadays the biggest male leads are ones like Kyon from haruhi
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
I've been kind of making that point about the fanbase, and that despite how much free and legal content you put online, it won't get people into the fanbase because you still have to activity access those sites and sit and watch on your computer. Flipping on the TV at 4 PM every weekday to take in two hours of anime is quite different, especially when it's on Cartoon Network, which I assume almost all cable providers have these days. NCAA Division I football players at my school remember DBZ and Gundam Wing and how awesome they were. You don't anything near that kind of coverage with anime today. So it's definitely not fansubs, it's a lack of easily accessed and passive content, like having it on cable at a decent time. So it's probably just going to go back how it was before 2000 in terms of size.

It almost doesn't matter what you play as much as it matters when you play it, and how you advertise it.

As for getting people into anime, I'd still stick to stuff like AKIRA and maybe Gundam Wing. Just old stuff with good budgets and aren't boring. For recent stuff, Casshern SINS and Claymore are a good start.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
I've converted 3 so far this year. Although 1 of them saw evangelion and a couple of shows on toonami. Samurai Champloo (Dub) is what I used to open up for the 2 who haven't really seen any anime. Then I moved them onto Death Note (Dub), and then lightened it up with Gurren Lagaan (sub). Although with people who have seen any small amount of anime, Soul Eater (sub) has never failed for me. It's 4 for 4.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
Not sure why but I was cracking up when Zac pronounced Bobobo. Mr. O'Brien gave away too many hints as to who the girl was lol.
As for awesome gateway anime, I'd go with Utena. Can't go wrong with dark disturbing girly goodness, my artsy friends tend to enjoy this title. NANA is a good one for girl friends who aren't anime fans. For kids I'd go with something a little more American like Kaleido Star with American characters but deep enough storylines that it isn't insulting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6