• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Delays, Cancels Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
MB claims that they were told to release it this way by the Japanese company, but I'm pretty sure they could've handled the release far better.

I thought that was Bandai who was told that.

And anyways, what MB was starting to do was 6-7 episode quarter sets, not 3-4 episode singles. And at the way they were pricing them, two of them basically cost about the same as a 13 episode set from FUNi or Sentai.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
If Media Blasters shuts down, it really wouldn't be as big a deal as Bandai:

This seems to imply the loss of Bandai was a big deal.

Good joke. I laughed. Very Happy
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Uh yeah, the loss of an anime licensor with tons of great titles and mostly high quality English versions of those shows/movies (thanks to using Animaze for some of them) was a pretty big deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, I miss Bandai. If only they could have spit out My Ordinary Life and Gosick as planned before departing NA's fair shores. By contrast, MB's passing won't be as traumatic because they've been on life-support for ages now and their glory days are long past.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
So....the Fushigi Yuugi OVAs is cancelled. *runs towards Amazon.com for Pioneer Box Sets*
So is Kite (my anime club VP is going to flip).
And Ai no Kusabi is delayed.....again.

Just...ugh.

I can't believe MB still did the 6-7 ep per disc release. They hardly had any interesting shows/OVAs in the first place so why use such an older model while other companies now release either 12-13 ep Box Sets or the whole series in a complete collection?

Didn't US companies stopped doing that in the 2000's?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
MB claims that they were told to release it this way by the Japanese company, but I'm pretty sure they could've handled the release far better.

I thought that was Bandai who was told that.

And anyways, what MB was starting to do was 6-7 episode quarter sets, not 3-4 episode singles. And at the way they were pricing them, two of them basically cost about the same as a 13 episode set from FUNi or Sentai.

I think they both claim to be told that.

Still, it does leave a lot of hassle for collectors to collect so many volumes. Releasing any show in anything less than a dozen or so episodes is risky these days.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
They have apparently lost Rurouni Kenshin

WHAT?!

Yup, they did!

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=377729058977020&id=134953719921223

They also no longer have the Berserk TV series.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=379261815490411&id=134953719921223

As for Giant Robo, I won't be surprised if they no longer have that either judging by the status of their Litebox set and their response to a question about a possible Blu-ray release.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=375314342551825&id=134953719921223

Lynx Amali wrote:
WELP.
Time to pick up those GGG Season Sets after all.

FFFFFFFFFF.
Evil or Very Mad

Be grateful, they have been using STACKpaks lately for their complete collections that are over 6 discs (see Moribito, Genshiken, their final release of Lion Voltron & Rurouni Kenshin seasons 2 & 3 from the complete collection box which I used to own) and GaoGaiGar is 10 discs so odds are that they would have done the same so buy the season sets while they're still available.

Blood- wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I hope they relinquish the Squid Girl rights so that someone else could pick it up. I think a company like NISA or Sentai (boo hiss at Sentai though because it would DVD only) could find a way to make it break even, if not profitable series.

What makes you think it would be DVD-only if Sentai gets Squid Girl?

He's probably thinking there won't be a dub for season 2 and Sentai still has their stupid "No dub = No Blu-ray" rule in effect.

Last edited by NJ_ on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I've read (and it seems plausible) that it was actually the b&m retailers that forced R1 distribs to drop the 3 to 4 eppie per volume release strategy. They wanted titles to take up less shelf space. Frankly, if it wasn't for that, I have a feeling distribs would still be trying to push that on us.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
not possible, the anime bubble burst a long time ago when geneon decided to pull out.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Um.... Let's see. Bandai licensed:

• Cowboy Bebop
• Haruhi
• Gurren Lagann
• Code Geass
• Outlaw Star
• The Big O
• Wolf's Rain
• Eureka Seven
• The ENTIRE GUNDAM FRANCHISE

So... YEAH. It IS kind of a big deal. Rolling Eyes
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

He's probably thinking there won't be a dub for season 2 and Sentai still has their stupid "No dub = No Blu-ray" rule in effect.
If Sentai were to end up licensing it, wouldn't the chances of Season 2 getting a dub be more likely since they also use BangZoom? They did continue dubbing K-On! from where Bandai left off.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Ronin Warriors
Planetes
Vision of Escaflowne
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Jin-Roh
Kikaider
Blue Submarine No. 6
Banner of the Stars
Lucky Star
Silent Mobius

Loss of Bandai Ent was certainly a bigger impact than it would be to lose MB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I've read (and it seems plausible) that it was actually the b&m retailers that forced R1 distribs to drop the 3 to 4 eppie per volume release strategy. They wanted titles to take up less shelf space. Frankly, if it wasn't for that, I have a feeling distribs would still be trying to push that on us.

Since b&m retailers and now mostly irrelevant, could distributors return to the singles system? That would be a way to get more money from us, if they wanted to.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Um.... Let's see. Bandai licensed:

• The ENTIRE GUNDAM FRANCHISE

Small correction, not the entire franchise.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
So... YEAH. It IS kind of a big deal. Rolling Eyes

All you did with that list is show a one-sided argument in favor of the company. Question: where are the rest of the titles? You know, those that fans didn't buy because they thought they were crap?

Don't answer. It's a rhetorical question, because I already know the answer. We are consumers, and we buy what we want. Yeah, there was a time I was excited to read news on what Bandai was going to release, then BAM! The company seemed to really be upset with R1.

Specifics? No, but there was an underlying feeling they were getting pissed off we were a selective bunch. Their products changed, and not what they used to be. Cost cutting measures which cheapened their product to retain an R1 price point.

I blame R1 just as equal, and whether or not people agree, watching Bandai suffer wasn't how I want to remember them, so it was best they did "go to the farm".

Just like some here are requesting MB do. Bandai also canceled titles, remember? Hell, we even lost the chance to get Gosick.

But thankfully, some around here firmly believe a company's departure means another R1 company will pick up the license.

Time will tell if the assessment is accurate.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Since b&m retailers and now mostly irrelevant, could distributors return to the singles system? That would be a way to get more money from us, if they wanted to.

Provided this is actually true they could try that...but the distributor dumb enough to do it would effectively be committing suicide as the others would keep their prices the same as they are now and watch as fans abandon ship for that company. Pretty much how an oligopoly(which the R1 market is at this point) works. It's also why pretty much every distributor had to conform once one of them decided to go for the boxset format.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8