• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Schedules Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Films in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I thought Bandai would never release them, though. Wasn't Zeta a flop?

I for one was worried that "Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation" wasn't getting the R1 DVD release when it started to look like "Gundam Wing", "Gundam SEED", "Gundam SEED Destiny", and "Gundam 00" were the only "Gundam" Anime welcomed by most of the Otaku crowd in North America, but I like these Anime anyway. Plus, it's possible that "Zeta Gundam" T.V. series flopped in North America because 1) most Anime fans in North America perceive all things Universal Century Gundam as being too old-fashioned, and 2) most Anime fans in North America seem to have no love for any Anime of between 1960s and 1980s, perceiving all old Anime as being lame.
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Typical I gave up waiting and finally downloaded a fansub version only last month not that they were keepers but then very little of anything is worth watching more than once.

Still I do find it humerous that Tomino actually only wanted to do the film re-edit because he never liked zeta. I believe if I remember correctly that along with victory he actually asked his fans not to buy the dvd releases of either tv series.

These movies also create Tomino's corrected gundam timeline 3 gundam movies then the 3 zeta movies and finally Char's counter attack with everything else removed and concidering double zeta does anyone really mind.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Ushio, it was Victory Gundam that Tomino disliked. And the Zeta movies aren't really considered canon the way the original movie trilogy is.

spoiler[CCA couldn't follow the Zeta movies anyway, since it's implied that Char died. That, and the Neo-Zeon just suddenly give up at the end of the movies and leave. ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Generally speaking, I treat the movies in question as alternate canon since they reflect a different outcome that Mr. Tomino himself, for better or for worse, considered valid and plausible. With so many official alternate universes already in the franchise, this would be but a mere "alternate Universal Century" if you want to label it in any particular way. I'd say that's probably the best way to look at the Zeta movies.

Regarding Zeta Gundam itself, I liked the show and recognize its influence but it's not necessarily a masterpiece in my eyes, particularly if viewed through the same critical -or even cynical- lens that are often applied to modern productions. Nevertheless, it's worth watching at least once.
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
With so many official alternate universes already in the franchise, this would be but a mere "alternate Universal Century" if you want to label it in any particular way. I'd say that's probably the best way to look at the Zeta movies.

That's exactly what I have been thinking about "Gundam" for a few years. Plus, it wouldn't make sense for Sunrise to do the "Gundam Unicorn" Anime if the "Zeta Gundam" movie trilogy is meant to decanonize the "Zeta Gundam" T.V. series, the "Gundam Double-Zeta" series (which continues from the "Zeta Gundam" T.V. series), and the "Gundam: Char's Counterattack" movie (which continues from "Gundam ZZ") on account of "Gundam Unicorn" is meant to continue from "Gundam: Char's Counterattack".
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's silly to argue about canon in Gundam, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
I thought Bandai would never release them, though. Wasn't Zeta a flop?

I for one was worried that "Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation" wasn't getting the R1 DVD release when it started to look like "Gundam Wing", "Gundam SEED", "Gundam SEED Destiny", and "Gundam 00" were the only "Gundam" Anime welcomed by most of the Otaku crowd in North America, but I like these Anime anyway. Plus, it's possible that "Zeta Gundam" T.V. series flopped in North America because 1) most Anime fans in North America perceive all things Universal Century Gundam as being too old-fashioned, and 2) most Anime fans in North America seem to have no love for any Anime of between 1960s and 1980s, perceiving all old Anime as being lame.

It is still exactly as you said, which is why these are sub-only releases.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just got my order of the two Zeta Gundam sets (along with Soul Eater P2, One Piece S2P6, and Kanon boxset) in last week and will start watching soon. I'll definitely pick these movies up, even if the quality is more debatable apparently.

Also, could someone clarify for me: I CAN watch Char's Counterattack after seeing Zeta, right, or do I need to download ZZ somewhere? Because I've had CCA forever (came in my original Gundam movie set) and am hoping I can finally see it now after watching Zeta.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
It would probably help certain plot elements in CCA make more sense if you watched ZZ, but you could probably go from Z right to it and not be too confused.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Cool, thanks penguintruth.
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Heh, would these movies be good to watch for someone who's watching the series in reverse like me? (I got Unicorn and I just watched CCA.) I really don't think I'll ever feel like watching the whole Zeta series.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, watching Zeta and ZZ don't really help in watching CCA, since the most those two series get is a brief mention of Neo Zeon and the Titans, and don't really impact the movie in and of itself. As long as you've seen First Gundam, you pretty much have all the info you need to enjoy CCA.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Honestly, watching Zeta and ZZ don't really help in watching CCA, since the most those two series get is a brief mention of Neo Zeon and the Titans, and don't really impact the movie in and of itself. As long as you've seen First Gundam, you pretty much have all the info you need to enjoy CCA.

I really have to disagree. You won't entirely understand the political situation, for one, or the evolution of the technology, and some characters and character motivations will be a little off if you hadn't at least seen Z.

ZZ helps it along, too, especially given Char's switch from passive watcher to active participant in the evolution of man. You may think that a show that doesn't even feature Char would have no impact, but it does in the long run.
WiikendWarrior84

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
When is there going to be a pre-order available?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
You can pre-order on Rightstuf now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4