• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan to Spend 214.5 Million Yen to Train Animators

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I thought the figure of $400,000 to produce thirty minutes of animation was intriguing. Given that these are projects funded by the government, does that mean a half-hour of professionally produced anime costs considerably more than $400,000? I've sometimes heard the figure of $1 million per episode bandied about; that seems more plausible when compared to $400K for a project by an unknown animator.

The average budget several years ago was only around 10 million yen (~$100k). GitS:SAC was one of the most expensive, but even that couldn't cost 10x as much. So $400k for a starter project is a luxury.

In relation, any independent animation studio in N. America won't think a 30-min job is worth it below $300k for expenses.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
Apart from what previous posters have correctly said about the terrible pay for Japanese animators (or Japanimators, groan)...

"four 30-minute original shorts" doesn't sound promising. Four experimental OVAs that no-one will watch? With the same amount of time, they could produce a 6-episode series or a movie, both much more commercial IMO.

Last edited by eyeresist on Thu May 06, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dakaran

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:58 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I thought the figure of $400,000 to produce thirty minutes of animation was intriguing. Given that these are projects funded by the government, does that mean a half-hour of professionally produced anime costs considerably more than $400,000? I've sometimes heard the figure of $1 million per episode bandied about; that seems more plausible when compared to $400K for a project by an unknown animator.

that makes sense since who knows what kind of return they're expecting from these. Are they even gonna sell them? Who would buy an anthology of amateur works?

I would if it's great. I don't care if it's labeled amateur or pro because pros worked on it supervising the projects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2