• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Google: Unauthorized Manga Site Is Among Top 1,000 Sites

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I don't think the numbers of viewers shows an good example of the number of lost sales for the manga industry as a whole ...

It is, however, an excellent count of the amount of lost online ad revenue to the manga industry as a whole. Indeed, the bootleg aggregator sites cannot get the same quality of online advertising that a legit aggregator site could do, so if there are millions in online advertising revenue annually going to the biggest bootleg site, that is millions in advertising revenue that would potentially be available to the manga publishing industry.

And the viewer for translated manga would require a time consuming "scanlation back" process to put back into Japanese. As you note, the manga is already widely available in inexpensive and more convenient weekly serials in Japan, so there is less risk of the content on the legit aggregator cannibalizing the Japanese market.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
The question is though is can these developers continue at that rate though?

You mean, as opposed to creating 10 titles and hoping one of them is a tentpole title to support itself as well as the 9 others?

I can't count the number of game companies which folded its doors due to this. Now facing the larger remaining developers is online distribution so to combat this, they'll allow publishers to encode their games with DRM to those who are buying it while the "pirates" play for free.

How long do you think these businesses will last if they continue this?

Quote:
...as according to most of the sideline people these are start-ups trying to do what they feel is customer demand (or at least flipping a pure consumer into buying customer) and are still getting blasted apart.

Please define "sideline people" because most examples of those who use the "pay want you want" model seem to be very happy with the returns.

The biggest reason why: no middlemen to take away 80% of the revenues. It's staggering when one reads how the artists love this model because they're in control.

One needs to remember digital distribution ruins the "let's be millionaires overnight" mentality, and if content owners get a great deal of revenues with this model, it's all theirs, minus taxes of course.

I can't recall the group which did it, but they received over $400,000 for their debut album releasing it under this model. I recalled the lead singer said something on par with "No way would we have received this much through a label so quickly. Now we can focus on doing what we do best: music."

It should also be pointed out this model should not be the only one in use. As more content owners are learning, adding to this model is reaping rewards faster than any distributor can deliver.

Now granted, not every single artist will reap from this new business model, but then again, their chances are no different had they tried to find a publisher of their works, and we all know how stingy these companies are to find "bankable" artists.

I still contend those who create without being paid then demanding money afterward are foolish, foolish people. Put in place the fanbase first, then find ways to communicate with them such that they're more than happy to open their wallets.

The gaming industry has yet to learn this lesson, but a few independents are showing them just how effective it is. I'm sure EA is mulling this over as they continue putting DRM on their games so paying customers are annoyed, ready to become "pirates" themselves because of it.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Its hard to change consumer habbits, so I wonder what would happen if they shut the site down? Sence every manga fan uses that site, what would they do? If licenceholders would take advantage of the digital market it could realy help the industry, make somthing like crunchyroll, but with manga.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
sonickid101 wrote:
Its hard to change consumer habbits, so I wonder what would happen if they shut the site down? Sence every manga fan uses that site, what would they do?

Move to another bootleg site, which with the wave of new viewers will get a substantial increase in advertising revenue which will allow it to upgrade the site, and become the new incarnation of the site that was shut down.

Its a power law distribution, after all, and so while there is a tendency for a very few sites to have large multiple of views, there is also a tendency to have a large number of smaller sites. Given the number of smaller aggregators out there, and new ones constantly being established, there is an effectively unlimited supply in potential replacements for the aggregator that was shut down.

The RIAA in music tried a strategy of weeding out the bootleg distribution alone, and it doesn't work. Its like pulling dandelions up after they have gone to seed and without getting their roots. It just makes more space for new dandelions to take root.

Indeed, one of the main results of the RIAA efforts was that it pushed bootleg distributors to come up with distribution technologies that are harder to take down.

So as a complement to the weeding out of bootleg aggregators, its also necessary to have legit alternatives. The legit alternatives face the problem that the licensing system and practices in place are oriented to the old printing technology, not to the new digital distribution technologies, which leads to a lot of growing pains.

However, since the legit alternatives never face weeding out, they can pick up new viewers in each wave of weeding.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
sigh PJ when an independent company releases a game they make on their own as a direct download before, during and after the bundle how many middlemen are there? Or if your independent company only has one IP how many tent poles does your company have?

Whether it's 90% or 25% that's way to much for something that is released online like people say they want, can set (pay what you want bundle) or at a reasonable price of say $10 to $20 an investment but not bank or allowance breaking, and with no DRM at all. ( a DRM free game you can download as long as you have an internet and a computer, all regions and that is what they got for their troubles and you wonder why others are so hesitant to enter or are in terms of gaming moving to different platforms to express themselves?

This sense of entitlement, it needs to go, and fast, because if even doing what appears to be wanted has that kind of rate, then no wonder they would prefer alternative methods from that.

Last edited by LordRedhand on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
G00st543

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:

Whether it's 90% or 25% that's way to much for something that is released online like people say they want, can set (pay what you want bundle) or at a reasonable price of say $10 to $20 an investment but not bank or allowance breaking, and with no DRM at all. (0% from a DRM free game you can download as long as you have an internet and a computer, all regions and that is what they got for their troubles and you wonder why others are so hesitant to enter or are in terms of gaming moving to different platforms to express themselves?

25% is too high? I'm not too sure I agree with that, if you look at the rates for piracy on a single iPhone game, it's usually as high as 70%.

70% piracy, despite the fact that very few iPhone-OS-based device owners have "jail broken" devices (which is required in order to use pirated software on such systems). This is likely because pirates tend to consume more content and consume it haphazardly, than pay for it and enjoy it.

There will always be pirates, people who feel that they should be able to have everything for free, how they want it and when they want it. That sense of entitlement? It's not going to go away, and it's naïve to think it's going to.

If you feel that sense of entitlement needs to go away in order for things to move forward, we're all doomed. Our culture as we know it is going to fall into oblivion before we reach those requirements. Not just in anime, but world-wide in every IP-based industry. Because if there's a way to get it for free, they will get it for free... sometimes just for the SAKE of getting it for free.

These people are jerks, and there's a lot of them. We're not going to get rid of them either.

(Edit, Here's a link to one of the participants of the humble indie bundle's view on piracy's effect on the gaming industry, and where those numbers could be coming from)
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Seriously if paying a penny is too much for you, then you might have some issues that cannot be solved by downloading anything really (not an attack on you, just saying.)

And without a profit motive than what we get is a group of creatives that cannot sustain themselves by creating, they will have to move to something else to stay afloat, telling someone that a quarter of his created works were pirated is still demoralizing. Even when you say you can take it for a penny.

Also ones who are in support of such things have this amazing ability to demand change yet not really wanting to change anything, for example saying they should finance by character goods (they do that now.) that they should have see it before you buy it option (working on it, but yet somehow streaming, which is seeing it before you buy it is not good enough, we have too much video gamer mindset and go "ooh pictures" ) or the concept of working together with Japan and perhaps doing co-productions and more "original" works are met with resistance (as opposed to change that should/needs to happen.)

Put simply from some of the "justifications" I've heard protecting "culture" doesn't need to happen, it is pretty resilient without their stagnation. Preferably I wished there was someone confident enough in these ideas in 2003 to put a horse on the cart before every one jumped on the band wagon, but hindsight is 20/20
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
sigh PJ when an independent company releases a game they make on their own as a direct download before, during and after the bundle how many middlemen are there? Or if your independent company only has one IP how many tent poles does your company have?

Whether it's 90% or 25% that's way to much for something that is released online like people say they want, can set (pay what you want bundle) or at a reasonable price of say $10 to $20 an investment but not bank or allowance breaking, and with no DRM at all. ( a DRM free game you can download as long as you have an internet and a computer, all regions and that is what they got for their troubles and you wonder why others are so hesitant to enter or are in terms of gaming moving to different platforms to express themselves?

This sense of entitlement, it needs to go, and fast, because if even doing what appears to be wanted has that kind of rate, then no wonder they would prefer alternative methods from that.

Point 1: 25% is too high. Immorality exists in this world -- who knew?

Point 2: 25% is a heap lower than 90%, and from a business perspective that's an excellent thing.

It could also be said to show that the majority of pirates actually will put their money where their mouth is under the right circumstances. This is partly undermined because we don't know who chose to pay almost nothing, but at least these same ex-pirates can then join in universally vilifying the 25% who just take anything that isn't nailed down.

An improvement is an improvement, and the only way we can move towards achieving the perfect world where everyone is sensible and righteous, as you envision, is through a series of improvements. There's nothing that'll make it happen overnight.
G00st543

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Seriously if paying a penny is too much for you, then you might have some issues that cannot be solved by downloading anything really (not an attack on you, just saying.)

No offense taken, I didn't pirate, nor did I buy the humble bundle. By the time I got the paycheck I needed to give them a decent amount of money, the campaign was over. I was a little sad over that, to be honest. I wanted to support them so much. I guess I'll have to wait longer and buy the games myself.

Quote:
And without a profit motive than what we get is a group of creatives that cannot sustain themselves by creating, they will have to move to something else to stay afloat, telling someone that a quarter of his created works were pirated is still demoralizing. Even when you say you can take it for a penny.

Yes, you're right. Without profit incentives, IP based organizations can't continue to give their all into their projects. However, the bundle made quite a bit (check my previous post, I have the closing figures posted, and they include the numbers with and without merchant costs). And they were completely going against what larger orgs were doing to protect their work. 166k isn't a small sum of money. And it's money they wouldn't have otherwise had, given the fact that many of these games were past their prime and sales numbers were beginning to flatten.

[edit: as for the pirated comment... it really depends on perspective and intent. If my artwork was spread around, I honestly wouldn't mind. But maybe it's because my stuff isn't worth protecting. ]

Quote:
Also ones who are in support of such things have this amazing ability to demand change yet not really wanting to change anything, for example saying they should finance by character goods (they do that now.) that they should have see it before you buy it option (working on it, but yet somehow streaming, which is seeing it before you buy it is not good enough, we have too much video gamer mindset and go "ooh pictures" ) or the concept of working together with Japan and perhaps doing co-productions and more "original" works are met with resistance (as opposed to change that should/needs to happen.)

Read the link in my post above, I have a feeling that the amount of piracy has more to do with the people who will take anything that isn't bolted down than people being impossible to please. I honestly think that when they started doing these things, a least a small percentage converted and started buying stuff. Improvement is improvement.

Also, are you saying that the US and Japan working together would be a bad idea? Maybe I'm reading that wrong... but that could actually help quite a bit, if not with piracy... it will increase the number of fans who have a near-direct connection with the artists if my understanding of how that would work is correct. The fewer loops money has to go through, the better.

Quote:
Put simply from some of the "justifications" I've heard protecting "culture" doesn't need to happen, it is pretty resilient without their stagnation. Preferably I wished there was someone confident enough in these ideas in 2003 to put a horse on the cart before every one jumped on the band wagon, but hindsight is 20/20

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. Anyone who thinks piracy protects culture is mistaken. Piracy can facilitate the SPREAD of culture, but participation (either by supporting artists or creating art yourself) is what keeps it going.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
No your correct in the assessment of it being a good thing for them (Japan and U.S.) to work together, but by the powers of "I can lurk on forums and websites." and here there is a segment that feels it's bad move (maybe an echo chamber though) I feel it's a step that needs to be taken, considering demands for speed and demands for well series that are at least going to break even (although seriously no business strives just to break even, unless they are a non-profit.) But right now it be a step up if that was the average for your anime/manga series (one step at a time really, change happens slow regardless of how fast you want it to move)

As to the last points, um yes that is a raison d'etre for some fansub/scanlator groups and thank you for pointing out how weird that sounds. As to the other points those are ideas and points of contention I've heard from those who are more "forgiving" of piracy, so for example with the they should focus on character goods, those don't require an anime or manga to exist, so basically it's almost telling sequential artists and animators they are in the wrong job to express their creativity, as some people would be content with them expressing it in toys. It's kinda happening now as animators in Japan are leaving the field with new ones treating it more as a hobby to pass the time and move onto something else than stay.
G00st543

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
As to the last points, um yes that is a raison d'etre for some fansub/scanlator groups and thank you for pointing out how weird that sounds. As to the other points those are ideas and points of contention I've heard from those who are more "forgiving" of piracy, so for example with the they should focus on character goods, those don't require an anime or manga to exist, so basically it's almost telling sequential artists and animators they are in the wrong job to express their creativity, as some people would be content with them expressing it in toys. It's kinda happening now as animators in Japan are leaving the field with new ones treating it more as a hobby to pass the time and move onto something else than stay.

I'll disagree with you that it sounds absurd, in a sense. Once again, I got into anime and manga through fansubs and scans, and many others share the same story. The end result could be beneficial in some cases. What I WAS saying, is that saying things can continue going on from just piracy alone isn't going to help anyone unless people don't do it for money. The only way piracy directly helps culture is that in some cases, it opens up the floodgates to derivative works, which are important to the advancement of culture. This is actually one of the main reasons I tend to take the "piracy apologetic" stances.

I digress...

Character works, hmm... from an idealistic perspective: those who watch fansubs/pirated raws end up liking the material, and end up buying resultant merch. I don't believe that's really saying they're in the wrong business. The character works couldn't exist without the original content being there, because I believe people would need to care about them first, wouldn't they? I don't buy figurines, or the like, though I know that having seen and liked a product, regardless of whether or not I pirated the material, made me want to buy related goods. And looking at my manga collection, as well as my anime collection, it's worked.

Spreading the ways a creator can profit from a work isn't a bad thing, heck, if I could just directly donate to studios for the work I've pirated, I would, there's still stuff I need to pay for.

Last edited by G00st543 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
Great article by the way, G00st543. I feel the 1:1000 conversion ratio mentioned in Note 7 was probably extreme for some reasons specific to that game (e.g. they just priced it too high for the market), but considering the larger sample group and wide range of products involved, the iPhone statistics might give a fairly good example of the average rate of lost sales. Don't know if it takes into account apps that were legally purchased from jailbroken phones, though (assuming that's possible? Hacked PSP hardware is banned from making legal electronic purchases)

About spreading vs. supporting culture: I guess the point is that one sometimes leads to the other.

LordRedhand wrote:
so for example with the they should focus on character goods, those don't require an anime or manga to exist, so basically it's almost telling sequential artists and animators they are in the wrong job to express their creativity, as some people would be content with them expressing it in toys.

Come to think of it, that's basically the Transformers, G.I. Joe, My Little Pony, etc. business model. (Not advocating it -- it obviously draws the focus away from the narrative/etc. Just an interesting observation).

Last edited by Sven Viking on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
So um tell me what series did Twinkie The Kid came from, as certainly he is a character and has character goods. That was what I was getting at, in that you don't really need a series to base a character off of, sometimes that may come later (**cough**Hello Kitty... first product 1974, anime came in 1987 and a co-production when it "hit" so about 13 years after the character was designed and had character goods) but sadly the animation staff might not have been paid as much as someone who could make a character from scratch and turn it into a product (as it is riskier and your mileage may vary.)
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Obviously toys can sell without a cartoon, but the "make a cartoon to sell these toys" business model has proven effective (on children at least). Not that it necessarily does much for the non-toy-related art, since it's then subsidiary to the toys...

Outside of children, Evangelion socks and pipe-cleaners and whatever would not have sold as well without Evangelion. But actually focusing on merchandise seems like a bad idea to me.
G00st543

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
So um tell me what series did Twinkie The Kid came from, as certainly he is a character and has character goods. That was what I was getting at, in that you don't really need a series to base a character off of, sometimes that may come later (**cough**Hello Kitty... first product 1974, anime came in 1987 and a co-production when it "hit" so about 13 years after the character was designed and had character goods) but sadly the animation staff might not have been paid as much as someone who could make a character from scratch and turn it into a product (as it is riskier and your mileage may vary.)

Sven Viking wrote:
Obviously toys can sell without a cartoon, but the "make a cartoon to sell these toys" business model has proven effective (on children at least). Not that it necessarily does much for the non-toy-related art, since it's then subsidiary to the toys...

Outside of children, Evangelion socks and pipe-cleaners and whatever would not have sold as well without Evangelion. But actually focusing on merchandise seems like a bad idea to me.

You're right, and I have to say I wasn't thinking about those when I was writing my last post. What I was trying to promote as an idea was diversifying the ways of making monetizing IP, and I still don't think that's entirely a bad idea if done right.

However, I'd hate to see a fantastic series like Umineko turn into another pokemon clone, so I'll quiet down on this one.

So the question I'll have to bring up is... (and I know it's been the topic for a while) is piracy really that simple of an issue that the only method of scaling down it's negative impact is to demand that people stop? When the damage is done, how does the industry harvest money from the pirates who still want to pay? Who, for one reason or another (language barriers, legal concerns, they don't have a credit card, they're too young...) couldn't pay for the work? The damage is done, and the damage will grow, so what is there to be done about this? Is the damage that substantial? Fighting it directly hasn't worked before, and I get a little worried when companies like yenpress start wanting to get militant. I fully understand their view and their rights as a company to defend their licences, but there must be better ways.

[Just to note: As with anything, us coming to a full agreement on such a polarizing issue will be next to impossible. I have to say though, I enjoy the mostly-polite tone in this forum, it seems the civility rules are enforced well, I just wanted to comment on that.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11