• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Translated Manga Scan Aggregator Removes 350+ Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they took off Urusei Yatsura. How much of it was ever available in English even way back when it was in print?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
MangaFox forums are fun to read. Full of people complaining because they can't get their hands on licensed manga. Most of the series are already being released...They use these crappy excuses about censorship and whatever, to the extent where it obviously indicates they haven't been in the loop in years. Even the arguments about series being licensed due to scanlations is pretty much null because the series being taken away are already licensed.

I'm doubting any negotiations are going to work unless it's profiting the original author, publisher, and English publisher. Also, MF was willing to upload scans from actual English releases. That's just scummy.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
MangaFox forums are fun to read.

There has to be a post there somewhere saying "ANN forums are fun to read."
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
There's always IRC.

Though, it's not illegal to read (a copyrighted) something somebody else has copied. It is illegal to make a copy of it yourself and save it to your computer.

If someone tries hard enough, it's nearly always going to be possible to find these scans somewhere on the internet. Going after the aggregator sites will certainly inconvenience people who are just casually into reading scans, but it can't stop someone who's determined enough.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

Hey, probably. I spend a lot of those huge discussions just lurking. Though, MF's forums have no differing opinion. It's all "I won't pay for manga! Free forever!" and "That's it, I'll never read manga again" and "MangaFox, you are the greatest thing ever and did the right thing!". Most of these people don't think about the issue objectively. At all. Or are incapable. Either way, it's easy to counter most of their complaints.

Showsni wrote:

If someone tries hard enough, it's nearly always going to be possible to find these scans somewhere on the internet. Going after the aggregator sites will certainly inconvenience people who are just casually into reading scans, but it can't stop someone who's determined enough.

I think the publishers understand that. However, they aren't the beast they're looking for. People would be lost with aggregator sites and it's surely harder to locate a little known series without a conglomerate site. If the Shonen Jump scanlation team is killed off, then there's really only small game left.

Last edited by RestLessone on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The Article wrote:
...but a later update indicated that more titles had been removed at the behest of unofficial scanlation groups...

I find this kinda funny. See? Even the actual scanlators don't like these sites. I'm sure this goes doubly for the ones doing smaller, unlicensed series. These aggregator sites just expose them to a much larger audience than they really want, and bring them unneeded attention. And then there are the ones who stop distributing their works once a series gets licensed. If an aggregator site hijacked your releases and has them on a server, you'd have no way to get them out of circulation. I'm hoping OM goes down in the next few weeks. I know way too many people who read scans on there and never buy anything. One of them is a co-worker and even brags about it. Makes me sad.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm sad to see the series' removed. When a site that is basically around to upload manga illegally and is that popular on the net, something is very very wrong.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness, I was getting tired of all those Mangafox ads on fanfiction.net I don't even care about OneManga, because FMA was the only one I read and now it's over, I'm buying it anyway. I'm happy I never went to Mangafox, I have enough worries with viruses, I don't want anymore.

I don't get why they would have some of these titles, and I've seen one of them in my small town library. And there's not too much manga in my library system.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
including titles licensed by other publishers and titles unlicensed in North America
And that's when this became bullshit.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Glad they're now finally listening to scanlators about removing their "projects". Nothing more annoying than being a scanlator with a livid hate for aggregator sites and then finding the stuff you worked on uploaded to a site like that, but then again that's how the internet goes.

Total freeloaders now have to "work" for their pirated goods, or they could actually... work to own the actual goods. The later would be more preferable.
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

I've yet to find any other forum that's suggested boycotting Viz at their doorstep for those living in CA. Even though they were half-joking...

Though I guess people here in the ANN forums have said other equally entertaining posts.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Quote:
including titles licensed by other publishers and titles unlicensed in North America
And that's when this became bullshit.

Not really.

Did MangaFox do those translations?

No, they didn't.

Fan translation groups tend to look down on aggregator sites, and this is the first time I've heard of them managing to get a site to take down their translations.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
There's always IRC.

Though, it's not illegal to read (a copyrighted) something somebody else has copied. It is illegal to make a copy of it yourself and save it to your computer.

And since its not a religious crusade, but taking action to protect the market, the main thing is to prevent the brazen piracy that the predatory scumbag manga viewer sites engage in that make the bootlegs both cheaper and easier than legit channels.

There will always be piracy, but as long as it is cheaper but harder, the most valuable parts of the market for generating income for the artists will just buy it, whether via subscription, digital download, or order (conventional press or Print on Demand) of a paper copy.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Just reading the forums, and people can be kind of lazy "oh noez! Gotta buy them now!" There are PLENTY of places online you can buy them and if you live in a country that doesn't have any, just import! It's always an option.

Oh, and for people who say ANYTHING about not having a credit card/can't use parent's card/don't trust buying online, there is NO excuse not to buy a pre-paid Visa/MC at a store! Those things are all around and any kid can buy them.

Plus, Amazon has probably THE lowest prices of manga, plus no taxes (given for a couple states) and free shipping after $25!

Rightstuf too is great with their sales and also have free shipping in US and Canada.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd be surprised if Onemanga doesn't do something similar in the near future.
Oh well, pity the noobs who don't know how to use IRC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8