• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga: Monster Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:
ptolemy18 wrote:
ABCBTom wrote:
I was just recently writing up a blurb for how good this series was, and I was comparing some scanlations I found online with the CMX version. From the scanlations I saw, which weren't ripped from the CMX edition directly, it appears there was no censorship in the early volumes.

Not 100% certain, since it is not the Japanese originals, but I'm fairly confident this was uncensored.

I'll add that the CMX translation is also funnier than what I saw online.

Thanks for the information! So... my guess that it might have been censored was totally baseless. (What a relief!) Maybe I can go back and edit the article.

I went back and checked because I started second guessing myself. The two women are blown out of the springs due to the force of lizard man's landing. Switch to Cuervo, who hears the noise, and as we cut back to the two women, they're wearing magical towels that they got from somewhere unspecified. Since this occurs in the Japanese version as well, there's only one conclusion: These are living towels that Kasche summoned.

Ohhhhhh yeah. The sudden appearance of towels/clothing between chapters. I've seen that before, in "Bastard!!". Wink So indeed it was the same in both the English and Japanese editions (and I've edited the original article to remove the conjecture about CMX possibly censoring it).
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
swanjun wrote:
One question, though... Jason writes that Monster Collection ran in the more adult-oriented Comic Dragon. Is that still a shounen magazine, or is it seinen?

Comic Dragon turned into Dragon Age in 2003. I don't still have any copies of the original Comic Dragon magazine to check, but it's listed on Wikipedia Japan as a shonen magazine.
Laethiel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Elexin wrote:
I meant to ask before but never did. Am I just being incredibly blind or is there no 'easy' way to get to all the 'entries' in this series of columns?
It doesn't seem to be listed under any of the 'view' categories (though it is one of the many listed in the colums section, once you go to the individual months) but it really should be. It would be easier to find missed entries, and more people might actually find it and read it if it were more obviously situated Smile

Yeah, that would be helpful. On a related note, I've requested an RSS feed for this both in the comments on a previous column and by sending an e-mail to [out of date email address] - no luck on either count.
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, this manga sounds great and right up my alley. I hope I can find it. It's always been strange, because I absolutely love fantasy and all the fantasy trappings (lizard people included!), but I think I can count on one hand the number of fantasy anime AND manga I've deemed worthy of purchase. A lot of the RPG-ish titles always fell flat for me, either feeling really boring with overly archetypal characters, or had corny humor and poor production values. I've always suspected there were some good titles hidden within the sea of mediocrity out there, but I guess I need people like Jason to point them out to me!

This column makes me flail that I haven't read something every week!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
swanjun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Comic Dragon turned into Dragon Age in 2003. I don't still have any copies of the original Comic Dragon magazine to check, but it's listed on Wikipedia Japan as a shonen magazine.

Thanks! Smile
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Hmm, I thought I was pretty much finished with getting all the CMX series I had missed buying before the shutdown, but maybe I should add this one to the "to buy" list Smile

Awwwww... crud. More CMX manga for me to try to find. Like you, I thought I was more or less done, too (just got a big shipment in today).

Sounds extremely interesting, but I'm broke until the end of the month, dammit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2