• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: G Gundam Spawns New Manga with Original Anime Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darksharingan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:40 am Reply with quote
This sucks, every Gundam series is getting some kind of revival but not the best of them, Gundam Wing.

Seriously, it was WING that not only put Gundam on the map for anime fans but it also changed mecha anime altogether, before Wing, there was nothing that was deeply political and serious, everything was more emotional or comedic and just plain fun. But the military war and political theme best suits the robot genre and thanks to Wing most mecha tried to be like that (with some lame failures like Code Geass and Full Metal Panic).

If anything needs a nod right now, it's Gundam Wing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, how come Gundam X hasn't been expanded at all, its robots and characters don't even appear in the Dynasty games, Gundam X is an underrated series.
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
I wonder why. Don't the Gundam otaku in Japan hate this series with a passion?
Nope, they love it. Let it never be said that Japan can't stand to have fun with their serious shows (as numerous omake will attest).

darksharingan wrote:
Seriously, it was WING that not only put Gundam on the map for anime fans but it also changed mecha anime altogether, before Wing, there was nothing that was deeply political and serious, everything was more emotional or comedic and just plain fun.
Ahahahaha!
Oh, wait, you were serious. Let me laugh harder.

Wing was nowhere near the first mech series to have political overtones. Many had done it before, and far better, for decades. Wing definitely isn't as bad as many make it out to be - the OZ mass produced MS are some of the nicest looking of all the Gundam series, and for a token Gundam 'staunch pacifist' character Releena comes surprisingly close to ending the war halfway through the series - but it certainly wasn't innovative.

Last edited by edzieba on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
This sucks, every Gundam series is getting some kind of revival but not the best of them, Gundam Wing.

Seriously, it was WING that not only put Gundam on the map for anime fans but it also changed mecha anime altogether, before Wing, there was nothing that was deeply political and serious, everything was more emotional or comedic and just plain fun. But the military war and political theme best suits the robot genre and thanks to Wing most mecha tried to be like that (with some lame failures like Code Geass and Full Metal Panic).

If anything needs a nod right now, it's Gundam Wing.

First of all, are you serious? I know Wing put Gundam on the map in America but I mean, it wasn't like life-changing for mecha anime. (Also calling FMP lame=loss of credibility)

Second of all, are you not aware of all the supplemental material Wing had after the series was done. Heck, there's even a new Wing manga coming up in Gundam Ace in the summer that is already confirmed as canon
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:

That's really not true; people do point to the Gundam franchise as the father of the dramatic, political space opera robot shows, but it'd been that way long before Wing, starting with the very first Mobile Suit Gundam. The political subplots in later titles like Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed are just keeping in the tradition with what had been there from the start.
goins007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Nurse: Doctor we need you in the emergency room!

Marc Gahta: Not now I'm busy! [i]SHINING FINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man I hope he's not a proctologist! I'd be more worried about that burning finger he used later on...
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Maruna wrote:
As awesome as this is, There's something else I'd rather have Imagawa be scripting right now...

Yeah, me too.

"The Birth of Zangetsu the Midday" and the rest of the Giant Robo chapters.

That would be cool and all, but we have to be realistic here. I love the Giant Robo OVAs with a passion, but we have to be happy with what we can get. I'm pretty sure GR made negative money.

G Gundam, however, is an underappreciated, but excellent portion of the Gundam lineup, and should serve as a nice counter-balance to all the Gundam Unicorn stuff going on right now.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
OH HELL YES. Very Happy

Love me some G Gundam. Yahoo!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
This pretty cool. I liked G Gundam the best out of the various shows because it felt the most different. Obviously, there is the whole martial arts aspect instead of more traditional piloting, but the thing I liked most was the premise that the various nations acknowledged that they can't get along and that it's either the Gundam Fight or war.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
gerbilx wrote:
I would be so happy! Though, Marc Gahta is retired from voice acting now, and I can't imagine anyone else as Domon.

IS he the sub or dub VA??

Cause if there is a remake it would be nice if the get the old dub cast, but I am worried about that too cause it been over a decade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagatoka_Morito

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
IS he the sub or dub VA??

Mark Gatha was Domon's original English-language VA. He gave up the job to become an orthopedic surgeon.

Seki Tomokazu is the Japanese VA, and he's still in the business, as is most of G's core (Japanese) cast.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
A new G Gundam manga? Written by Imagawa and drawn by Shimamoto (the original character designer of the show)?

My god... This will be the absolute most epic manga ever written! I loved it when it was on Toonami and I still love it now... Hell, I actually might love G Gundam more now, especially after seeing how Imagawa admitted how G Gundam was heavily inspired by Ring ni Kakero, and it's so obvious too.

Black Shaft and Chobodee Crocket are what all Americans must strive to be! I will so be reading this manga.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Second of all, are you not aware of all the supplemental material Wing had after the series was done. Heck, there's even a new Wing manga coming up in Gundam Ace in the summer that is already confirmed as canon

First, it's a novel that has already come out in Gundam Ace. It's called Frozen Teardrops. Second, it is not canon. Canon does not exist in Japan. Official would be the proper term to use. Canon is nothing more than a westernized term. Third, nothing outside of animated works (a la series, movie, ova, etc) are considered official by the Sunrise executives, so this Wing novel falls into the "gray area". Besides, it's already being told from the viewpoint of some of the G Characters children (Sally Po's child Kathy to be exact).
Ranma87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
G Gundam was one of my favorites as a kid I used to watch it on Toonami, the DVD release was ok but I would have really liked to see it remastered on Bluray.

A new manga would be cool.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
I wonder why. Don't the Gundam otaku in Japan hate this series with a passion?

The fanbase is pretty split on the series, with some hardcore fans despising it and others loving it.

More casual Gundam fans (AKA everyone else in Japan) seem to love it, though. Its model kit line was REALLY successful, to the point that they're still making new kits now, 15 years after the series ended.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Godammit IMAGAWAAAAA.

GIVE A PROPER ENDING TO SHIN MAZINGER BEFORE MOVING ON TO YOUR NEXT PROJECT.

That said, I still love some G Gundam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3