• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf's Nozomi Adds So-ra-no-Wo-to, Utena TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLightstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Yes and thank you Rightstuf... I been wanting to buy Utena... If someone would get Sailor Moon, my wish list would be complete.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
I am glad Utena will now be available to people for less than $500-600. I got lucky and got mine (new!) well before it became so hard to find, but I have known many others not as lucky.

I do hope they keep the original dub too and release it on these discs, it was quite hilarious to watch.

The performances in Utena's dub were rather good. The only one who falters imo is the VA for Anthy.

You think so? To me it seems that Touga's VA was the only one who was taking it seriously. I did watch it all the way through dubbed though, so I guess that says something.

Yes, Rachel Lilis's performance in the dub is pretty much universally respected as being rather good. All the other VA's did an apropriate job for their respective characters. There was only one scene that stuck out to me as having bad acting and it involved Anthy and crying. I think she's the only character I would recast in this show.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Don't get too full of yourself Polly, SnW had just as much useless moe garbage as K-On. An episode should not be about a girl wanting to take a piss.

Yep, leave it to Japan to make an entire episode about that. Though compared to I've seen in the last decade, that isn't even slightly odd.

Just out of plain curiosity, what episode was that? I can't imagine a entire episode about that. Unless it was from Shin Chan.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
I am glad Utena will now be available to people for less than $500-600. I got lucky and got mine (new!) well before it became so hard to find, but I have known many others not as lucky.

I do hope they keep the original dub too and release it on these discs, it was quite hilarious to watch.

The performances in Utena's dub were rather good. The only one who falters imo is the VA for Anthy.

You think so? To me it seems that Touga's VA was the only one who was taking it seriously. I did watch it all the way through dubbed though, so I guess that says something.

Yes, Rachel Lilis's performance in the dub is pretty much universally respected as being rather good. All the other VA's did an apropriate job for their respective characters. There was only one scene that stuck out to me as having bad acting and it involved Anthy and crying. I think she's the only character I would recast in this show.

I'm not a big fan of Anthy either, or Nanamy. They both just came across as overly obnoxious to me.

I've actually heard a lot of people complain about Rachel Lilis's performances, but personally I liked it.

I suppose it doesn't matter as Nozomi won't be redubbing it anyway.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Yep, leave it to Japan to make an entire episode about that. Though compared to I've seen in the last decade, that isn't even slightly odd.

Just out of plain curiosity, what episode was that? I can't imagine a entire episode about that. Unless it was from Shin Chan.
Episode 8, where she's given a charge to wait for a call from headquarters so she sits by the phone the whole time.

Anyway, what was so bad about this was that it came right after episode 7 which was spoiler[absolutely ruthless in its depiction of the destruction of war with all the blood and hallucinations and whatnot. It was so jarring to straight back to "lol she wants to pee" after that horrific sight.]
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Very nice Utena got picked up. Been wanting to see a proper DVD of that for a loooong time now.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Hardgear wrote:

I'm not a big fan of Anthy either, or that blonde girl who was over obsessed with her brother. They both just came across as overly obnoxious to me.

I've actually heard a lot of people complain about Rachel Lilis's performances, but personally I liked it.

I suppose it doesn't matter as Nozomi won't be redubbing it anyway.

Nanami's VA did a great job imo. She's supposed to be annoying and obnixous. I love her. Anime hyper Anthy is the way she is, becuase she's repressed. Her character is really a feminist deconstruction of fairy tale type naratives if anyone hasn't figured that out yet. So the way she acts is kind of integral to the themes of Utena. But yeah, I think she needed a better actress to portray her correctly.

Last edited by jsyxx on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Anthy either, or Nanamy. They both just came across as overly obnoxious to me.

Nanami was the only character out of the dub I can call perfect in my opinion. I don't know if they made her that flakey/fake/obnoxious on purpose or the actress was just like that, but it seriously added some awesome humor to Nanami that the original Japanese seiyuu never gave me. I still chuckle at the memory of the whole "A Mongoose! She keeps a mongoose in her desk!" Bit. And then the cow, "big brother!", etc...

Dub Nanami was the best out of the whole dub cast in my opinion. I can laugh at her all day.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Nanami was the only character out of the dub I can call perfect in my opinion. I don't know if they made her that flakey/fake/obnoxious on purpose or the actress was just like that, but it seriously added some awesome humor to Nanami that the original Japanese seiyuu never gave me. I still chuckle at the memory of the whole "A Mongoose! She keeps a mongoose in her desk!" Bit. And then the cow, "big brother!", etc...

Dub Nanami was the best out of the whole dub cast in my opinion. I can laugh at her all day.

Oh god, the cow episode... at first I thought it was dumb at best, until the very last scene and I was on the ground laughing. They did a real good job, building up to that.

I gotta agree though, Nanami was probably my favorite character even though she is really just a collection of many of the traits I hate most in people, because every time she had screen time there was much laughing on my part.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I can't get the migraines to stop long enough to laugh.. LOL

But everybody has different opinions on dubs, and I still like this one overall.

Edit: Big typo!

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Although I am happy that it got licensed, I'm sad it doesn't have a dub. I actually expected Bandai to get it considering a lot of the designs resemble K-On and all. But...oh well. it's making it to the US so I should be happy about it.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I was bidding on the Utena box sets on the 'bay recently but I dropped out after the price hit $150+ - glad I didn't press on... This is great news!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I can't get the migraines to stop long enough to cry.. LOL

But everybody has different opinions on dubs, and I still like this one overall.

Yes, but one can argue that Nanami is SUPPOSED to cause migraines. Cool
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
The movie is very cheap even new so it's ok they didn't license that.

I hope Nozomi uses the sexy looking remastered DVD covers too:
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I can't get the migraines to stop long enough to cry.. LOL

Yes, but one can argue that Nanami is SUPPOSED to cause migraines. Cool

Am I the only one who thinks bitchy insane girls like Nanami are completely hot? Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10