• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cowboy Bebop Writer: Anime Will Die Out in Few Decades

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:

Another aspect, is that if japanese new english more, they'd be able to produce much more anime far much more varied markets. Eg: You want to sell anime to a place like Saudi Arabia who have a lot of money. You do your research and come up with something that will appeal to them. Thinking globally is the way forward, but without that, and focusing too much on the niche anime audience, the anime industry will cannibalise itself, til there's nothing left.

I wouldn't want anime studios starting to pander American audiences because I'm not American and I like anime partly because it can offer things Hollywood can't and I don't necessarily mean moe. I think I can agree with Jonathan Clements when he said that he buys American movies as American movies.

Several anime series have already been released in Arabic countries without pandering, including Moomin, Future Boy Conan, Grendizer, Katri, Girl of the Meadows and several others.

I think the Japanese studios should learn from the mistakes that European and American studios made when they started to outsource more and more tv animation first to Japan and later to China and Koreas. At least the Japanese still draw most of the key animation unlike Americans (still talking about tv animation).
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
Well he dose have a point
khaos1019

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I can't argue with the guy and have noticed it myself in recent years. I used to buy up anime constantly, sometimes purchasing 3 or 4 titles at any one time as their volumes came out. My purchases over the past 2 years have dropped to next to nothing.

I'm the same way. Although this is due to the decline of the American industry, and not so much the Japanese one.

I still agree with Sato on some points, it's troubling to see how few really intelligent and exciting series are coming out nowadays. I'll admit some of the slice-of-life/moe stuff that's mostly being produced is entertaining. But compared to series and movies from the late '70s, the '80s and even the '90s, the quality of the work (in terms of character and plot, and even animation in some cases - I'm a sucker for the traditional hand-drawn) is on the decline.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't see it existing in any huge or relevant capacity in the future. If you'll allow me to be an armchair analyst for a moment, there was another article on ANN that described just how little animators in Japan make, despite working about 10 hours a day on average. It'd be totally unsurprising if any new talent that would want to enter that field would quickly leave it because of the terrible compensation.

I do wonder if pay was always that low in the anime industry, though the dwindling size of the anime market and its increasing reliance on the small hardcore NEET niche can't help. With a smaller market, jobs go away and pay gets even smaller... Who would want to work in a field like that?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
Figure this would be relevant.

Quote:
Judging from the sample of comments, it won't be piracy that kills the mediums, but over-pricing and that pride and stubborness that they have will take out their publishers.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:

I noticed something else. There are a good few manga about actually making manga (Comic Party, Bakuman etc), but where are the same representative tales about making anime? Seems there hasn't been anything since Gainax's Otaku No Video way back in the late 80's. Perhaps Genshiken is the modern version of that.

I'd say you missed the episode of Paranoia Agent that encapsulates this, episode 10: Mellow Maromi

In the episode they go over the parts and positions and even some of the demands placed upon those within the industry, however it doesn't end up so positively (one can read it like the response that some "fans" and even some industries are responding to it spoiler[ Thank God it's here! pulls master tape from "gophers" corpse and it doesn't end happily because every member of the staff dies...]
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
First of all, outsourcing tweening or some of the animation is really a different issue than what is supposed to be the crux of this debate. You can argue about the differences in quality (i.e. consistency and the amount of corrections to be done) about those who are invested in anime in Japan and those who aren't outside, but again, that's a different issue.

Secondly, I grew up with and remember the old anime, as in late 80's early 90's. And let me tell you, the idea that "it used to be better in the past" is totally flat out untrue. There are more "gems" now than there ever had been over a decade ago.

Thirdly, merchandise like figures has always been THE driving force in the commercial success of anime -- see: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-04-01/n-america-2007-anime-market-pegged-at-us$2.8-billion

So to claim that is was better before due to less commercialization is just wrong.

I do agree with some of his points, particularly political involvement, even if it's for promoting the industry or genre but disagree with others.

It's interesting to note from the article that he explicitly refrains from criticizing or blaming the element of moe "atmosphere-like" shows like K-On nor the element of fanservice itself, as he stated "many animators are coming from a background in erotic material (doujinshi, eroge or ero-anime/manga). Sexual desire is part of the creative drive."

However, when he does go on ranting about escapism and not dealing about real life issues and NEETs or the unemployed... umm.. this is what the majority of fiction entails. I read A LOT of SF and Fantasy, and that argument would apply there and everywhere, though I see nothing to complain about.

I mean take dealing with employment or the economy as he mentions as a neglected real life issue the anime viewing audience faces for example. Yeah, like having more shows about political and economic commentary on current events disguised as anime is likely gonna do any good.. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Sato was upset with the lack of respect for stories in Japan. He pointed out that “Ergo Proxy,” for which he wrote the story, had DVD box sets around the world, but not in Japan.

I have no idea what the connection is between lack of a box set (because the production committee wants to milk the customers) and lack of respect for stories is....

Quote:
He also said that many anime fans dismissed “Eureka Seven” as a “Neon Genesis Evangelion” clone without even watching it.

Well that would be unfortunate IF such a claim were true for the majority of people

Quote:
Sato praised rap and hip hop because, to him, it looks like they are still underground and people don’t sell out. He equated manga with rap, because it takes less people to produce and authors/artists tend not to sell out.

hahahahaha Rolling Eyes But even if with underground or independent rap--which means it can only be their hobby or side job, not careers--it doesn't mean they're good or even meaningful! Some are, but a lot aren't. And if you really had to choose the absolute best works, Sturgeon's Law applies regardless of underground, or mainstream or poor seller or commercial success.

Quote:
Even if the commercial industry denies someone, there is doujinshi, or the “super indies.” Manga is where anime has traditionally drawn its stories and creativity, but the industry is becoming more reliant on it. As Sato sees it: “Manga is the last hold out. If that is lost, there will be no more anime.”

Yeah, but the doujin market is where his complaints about would apply as well! And wait, if he praises manga, and sees it as the last hold-out, but also recognizes that's where, (along with novels, visual novels, and light-novels, like 99% anime originates, then isn't he contradicting himself?

edit:
about the complaint about moe -- I hope people realize that with 150-200 anime a year, perhaps only 1/4 maybe 1/3 at times might be considered moe. ... So what say you about the MAJORITY of anime that is not moe?

Ever keep track of the Oricon charts? See the ANN top 20 weekly dvd/bd sellers? Oh, wait... guess what, the majority is NOT moe.

Last edited by configspace on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I think he's getting tired of people sacrificing good quality stories and animation for the sake of character goods and merchandise.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Precisely! This is what I was talking about several pages ago. Although there are always several normal shows released yearly, there is always more moe/fanservice/cute girls shows.

Not true. Like I wrote above, there is, and always has been LESS of that type. It's a significant amount yes, but nowhere near the majority. It has also NEVER dominated sales in terms of the amount of titles of its kind.

Trust me on this. No, don't trust me since I don't want to look up a bunch if you don't believe me. Just look it up yourself in the ANN encyclopedia by year and the ANN news top 20 charts.

Quote:
Creators aren't making what they really want to anymore, they make what will sell and get tons of ratings. When I think what has been made in the last four-five years, I too think Sato has the right to his opinion.

I disagree. While not everyone gets to do what they want, the vast majority of anime out there is from someone's own idea, usually from manga or novel nowadays, NOT due to some toy company saying, "hey, let's make some anime to sell these toys!" (yes there are a few instances of those but only a few) The commercialization comes afterward.

Quote:
I love anime and slice of life anime. But the slice of life anime I watch typically isn't cute moe girls doing moe things. I need a show with a solid plot, characters that aren't stereotypical (or if they are, I want to some character development) and some originality.

If anime is to be made in the future, I rather see shows with a solid plot and likable characters rather than cutesy, clumsy moe shows.

Well, if you really, truly wanted originality you'd have to go with something like Trapeze, or Genius Party, because 99% of the stuff out there no matter how good it is when you distill it down, is completely unoriginal.

And the more true-to-life a slice-of-life show is, the LESS plot it's going to have.

Furthermore, shows with good, solid story is still something that draws the Sato's ire. Why?
Quote:
“If we are always escaping from reality and real problems, when will we face them?”

For a bit of irony, Sengoku Basara would fall right under every point he contends, DESPITE the lack of moe and little to no fanservice:
- commercial success? check
- merchandise success? check
- emphasis on characters and good looking images? check
- pure escapism? check
- solid story, but not deep or metaphorical enough? check
- no box set? check
chicogrande

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
ZeroGee wrote:
Quote:
Sato also decried series that were more about escape than about confronting real problems, and proclaimed that the anime industry in Japan is a "super establishment system" rather than a creative force, focused more on characters and on merchandise.

If true, probably will happen then.

It seems to me that lately the quality of anime in Japan has suffered with a proliferation of erotic themes. From the continuing girl exploits of Kodomo no Jikan to the breast-sucking antics of Seikon no Qwaser, these are examples of gimmicks that are not limited to these shows, but are being cloned on new animations. This is being done for the sake not only of ratings, but the sales of uncensored digital media. Sure they want to make money, but the preferred material causes controversy, bad press and the decline of the medium. Sad
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
rockman nes wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:
I'll take wish fulfillment nonsense over anything Sato can write every day of the week.

I'm a douchebag.

Double Fixed.

Seriously?... Seriously?..

Justify your dislike of Sato's work, or shut the f*ck up. Your choice.

Sato Dai wrote:
He stated that “we can’t do our own anime” and depend on subcontractors for in-between frames. These subcontractors are often not even aware of the product they are working on, and it loses its consistency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPuu9RMsa1Y
SilverPhantom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I have to say he has some good points, but I don't think anime will die off completely, we will probably see a drop in the number of shows coming out in the future that's all.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
about the complaint about moe -- I hope people realize that with 150-200 anime a year, perhaps only 1/4 maybe 1/3 at times might be considered moe. ... So what say you about the MAJORITY of anime that is not moe?

Ever keep track of the Oricon charts? See the ANN top 20 weekly dvd/bd sellers? Oh, wait... guess what, the majority is NOT moe.

Now thats a straw man tactic right there, technically by definition, maybe, but most people here have said more then just moe in there explanations, by saying moe, also meaning cutesy girls doing cutesy things, cute in general, that entire ring genre is whats highest and that DOES make up for the most shows being made and the highest sellers, K-ON's live BD was the highest seller for how long? Exactly, more shows each season are made this way then any other genre, and thats a fact, how many shounen shows were made last season, and the season before? compared to the "hot new" strike witches or the next highschool cutesy drama thing that they wait to just throw out like chum to sharks
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
However, when he does go on ranting about escapism and not dealing about real life issues and NEETs or the unemployed... umm.. this is what the majority of fiction entails. I read A LOT of SF and Fantasy, and that argument would apply there and everywhere, though I see nothing to complain about.

Indeed. Fans demand service, howsoever this service manifests.
One doubts whether those who produce works of animation would be best applying their skills if they didn't overlook certain undesirable factors of mundane life. To bring to an audience's attention particular grave facts that are applicable (or at least local) to them might motivate this audience somewhat, but it shall not necassarily entertain them. The interest in anime that I and many other persons hold is by no means conditional upon the medium being a rhetorical device or an animated analogue to cinéma vérité. spoiler[To demonstrate this, I should bring to the reader's attention the fact that I like moe.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
configspace wrote:

Now thats a straw man tactic right there, technically by definition, maybe, but most people here have said more then just moe in there explanations, by saying moe, also meaning cutesy girls doing cutesy things, cute in general, that entire ring genre is whats highest and that DOES make up for the most shows being made and the highest sellers, K-ON's live BD was the highest seller for how long? Exactly, more shows each season are made this way then any other genre, and thats a fact, how many shounen shows were made last season, and the season before? compared to the "hot new" strike witches or the next highschool cutesy drama thing that they wait to just throw out like chum to sharks

I exactly do mean that definition. And how is that a straw man tactic? I am addressing the claim that these shows are drowing out other shows when in fact, they aren't. Again, and again, I keep on saying FACT: yes, K-On (and the live BD and related stuff) was a goldmine, so? Are titles like that the majority? NO - FACT. Look at the top 20 charts yourself. Like I just mentioned previously, show me a good chunk of time--like a couple months or so; aw heck, even a just a couple weeks--where cutesy-girls-doing-cutesy-things comprised the majority of titles?

And again and again, any claims that these types of shows are somehow the majority--that they are displacing other shows is simply false. People who have that impression is simply because their scope is too small. They hear about Strike witches 2 or K-On 2 and they say, "oh noes, it's all going downhill" and completely neglect all the other shows that continuously come out.

Those are just a few--look throughout the year, this year, last year, upcoming months--out of 150-200 a year, how many are like Strike Witches or K-On?

Of course, the issue is different if you have a problem with how a few of these types of titles are can sell well. Again though, neglecting the fact that it's NOT at the expense of other types of shows but rather along side them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9