• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The death of the anime collector.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Wow, and I thought us collectors in the states had it tough-you gents in Britain have to pay a small fortune to own an entire series! Shocked

It has improved slightly as of late. One of our local distributors has started releasing their own "Anime Legends" collections, but such measures have are yet to rescue the numerous titles awaiting more affordable re-releases.

(Many take recourse to R1 imports for the titles otherwise unavailable, though the popularity of these products frequently comes at the expense of the local industry's own sales. One cannot, unfortunately enough, fathom how such a problem might be resolved.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
I think it is tough for most collectors who don't live in the US or Canada. I am just starting out as a collector and since I live in Trinidad and Tobago I often pay more in shipping and taxes than the actual product. On average I probably pay twice as much to collect as someone in R1. It is probably even tougher for other countries. I can't imagine what it would be like for an English speaker to get R1 stuff in Europe or the Middle East.
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I will always need some type of hard copy. Hard drives have a tendency to screw up after a while. Even a backup copy on a jumpdrive is not 100%.
Que_Tal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
I think it is tough for most collectors who don't live in the US or Canada. I am just starting out as a collector and since I live in Trinidad and Tobago I often pay more in shipping and taxes than the actual product. On average I probably pay twice as much to collect as someone in R1. It is probably even tougher for other countries. I can't imagine what it would be like for an English speaker to get R1 stuff in Europe or the Middle East.

ugh...if there is anything in this world i can't stand...its regional coding on dvds and video games!
don't even get me started!
for example, in regards to me, i would rather get my anime dvds in the spanish language(dubbed), but, its impossible! no one sells anime dvds in spanish,here in the states. and i mean NO ONE!
so i'm like "ok, i'll just import it".....easier said than done.

1]no amazon.com(a huge selling site for anime series in america and europe,fyi) in spain. there is amazon in the uk,germany, and france...but no amazon in spain. spanish is like the 3rd most spoken language in the world(after english+chinese) so i'm perplexed as to why no amazon in spain...then i find out there are laws against selling used books in spain, so i go "oh,ok..thats why.what a shame."
no amazon.com for mexico or any south american country either.

2)you can't find any legit dvds that are authentic, minted from the official anime dvd distributers anywhere in south america, not over the internet at least.
EVERYTHING is bootleg/rips in south america when it comes to anime! Piracy is the norm in mexico, not the other way around.

3]but a person could easily get anime in spanish, here in the u.s., from any online dvd vending site, like amazon for example....if there was no such thing as region coding! if there was no region coding on discs...then anime in french, spanish,chinese, dutch,korean...etc,would be sold here in the states+anywhere else in the world where the consumer would manifest that market by demand. but whoops,...thanks to region coding, that can never happen. a BLEACH dvd from spain can't be sold on the u.s. website of Amazon.com,...not because of some law or rule, but because the dvd is region 2, and the spainish dvd distributer "jonumedia/s.a.l" says to themselves-"since our BLEACH dvds are r2, and dvd players in the u.s. are r1...there is no point to even bothering to market our dvds in the u.s., where there's 45 million SPANISH speakers in the u.s.a.
45 MILLION PEOPLE SPEAK/READ SPANISH IN AMERICA!
THAT NUMBER IS HUGE!
THAT NUMBER IS A NATION ONTO ITSELF!
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY YOU CAN MAKE OFF OF THOSE PEOPLE!
but thanks to the outdated, ridiculous, nonsensical reality which is region coding...the potential to make money off of the 1/6th portion of the u.s. population, becomes nullified.

lets be real. region coding is outdated and retarded.
perfect example----PUERTO RICO.
R1 is for u.s.a, canada, and all u.s. territories including Guam and Puerto Rico.
~O-o'
'O-o~
WTF!!!!!!!!!
the country of puerto rico's official language isn't english, its spanish!
so,.....now every VHS and DVD law-enforcibly sold in puerto rico, is in english, a language the vast,vast majority of the the population doesn't speak, read or understand!?!?!
Whaaaaaaaaat???????????????????
YOU CAN NOT GET A DVD/VHS IN THE SPANISH LANGUAGE...IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY OF PUERTO RICO!
not a legit non-bootleg vhs/dvd, that is.
the R4/R4 Spanish language dvd companies WILL NOT DISTRIBUTE or MARKET or EXPORT into PUERTO RICO thanks to the regional coding of it being a R1 country!

REGION CODING IS TOTALLY AND UTTERLY RETARDED!
SHOULDN'T CODING ON DISCS HAVE MORE TO DO WITH THE OFFICIALLY SPOKEN LANGUAGE OF A COUNTRY, THAN ON REGION/LOCATION?

for ex: shouldn't coding dvds go like this:
R1=every english speaking country---a.k.a----u.s.,canada(english speaking side), the british isles,australia, jamaica,south africa(english speaking side)
R2=every spanish speaking country--a.ka.---spain,puerto rico, mexico, chile, columbia,philippines, etc...
R3=every french speaking country---a.k.a----french canada, france, cameroon, algiers, etc...
R4=every dutch speaking country---a.k.a----holland, south africa(dutch speaking side),etc..
R5,R6,R7,japanes,chinese,korean,etc....
wouldn't that make more sense.

why is australia, a english speaking country, R4, ang grouped with chile+argentina?
why is puerto rico,a spanish speaking country, R1, and grouped with canada?
IT MAKES NO RATIONAL SENSE!!!!
IT IS ABSOLUTE MADNESS,....THIS ABOMINATION CALLED REGION CODING!!!

the problem isn't playing these dvds, we can all get region free dvd players....the problem is that the dvd distributing companies can't get the "RIGHT" dvds into the "RIGHTFUL MARKET-PLACE" that pertains one to each other.
AGAIN I SAY, you can't get a spanish spoken dvd, that is legit and officially minted from the distributing company, in puerto rico. why?
because puerto rico region coding is R1,...which might as well mean IN ENGLISH!
AND SINCE DVDS IN THE SPANISH LANGUAGE CAN ONLY BE EITHER R4 OR R2(SPAIN)....every person in an ENTIRE country gets essentially screwed.

just try to imagine if every store that sold dvds(every store means every store), whether on the street, or every online website, in America....sold dvds ONLY in the spanish language, A LANGUAGE YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND!....where you could not find a single english speaking dvd.....ANYWHERE IN YOUR REGION CODE, IN YOUR RESIDING COUNTRY OF ORIGIN!

the best thing that should be done about region coding, is to throw holy water on it, set it ablaze, and declare it dead, once and for all.

Last edited by Que_Tal on Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:51 am; edited 2 times in total
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah as much as that last post was a rant I completely agree with it. My sympathies dude.

However it may be possible to play english dvd's in vlc or somesuch and use downloaded subtitiles. I realise that's a sucky way to solve the problem but it's really the only thing I can suggest.

Quote:
there are laws against selling used books in spain

I am actually really curious as to why used book selling is illegal lol.

aaaaanywaaay back on topic.
Que_Tal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:

I am actually really curious as to why used book selling is illegal lol.

it has something to do with the unions of writers/authors in spain having a major political influence there. they(writers/authors) are really against sales of their books in used form, since they don't see a penny in used book sales. no surprise there. what is surprising is their influence legally/politically.

thanks for your sympathies.

one last thing, these dvd companies have got to crank these dvds out faster than the rate they are going.

bleach is around episodes 270-290 on japan tv, while dvd episodes are only around episodes 130th, give or take.
one piece is at episodes 470-490 give or take, i dont remember which number exactly, while dvds are up to only episodes 156.

too slow.
way too slow in printing these babies out.
when streaming sites are literally up to the latest episodes shown on japanese tv....why even bother waiting to buy on dvd.
by the time one piece and bleach dvds reach the 250-300 episode mark...people lose interest and have moved on to another show.

years ago,...it would take years for a movie to get a dvd release. now, after 3 months time of a movie's last screening in theatres, it gets a dvd release.

they gotta move waaaaay faster than the pace they are going in regards to dvd production/release/distribution.
way, way, faster.
since their biggest competitor is online streaming sites.

bleach is up to season 6 on dvd at amazon.com....namely volume 31 which is season 6. but amazon.com streaming video offers of bleach are up to season 9.

faster,faster,faster!
crank those dvds out faster!
if you want our business.
before we grow old and grey.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
I prefer digital for viewing content. The $60 I a year I pay for CR is by far the best bang for your buck anime purchase that I make all year.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
Que_Tal, if you use a PC to watch anime, region coding needn't be a problem. There exists easily-obtained software to overcome this arguably unnecessary hindrance. I have mentioned my recommended tools of choice in the past.

As RHachicho suggests, external subtitle files — which are easily obtained online — might be something you may wish to consider. I'm unsure about VLC, but Media Player Classic can run DVDs alongside such files if installed alongside appropriate codecs and filters. (This isn't perfect however. One usually encounters timing problems when trying to do so.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anijunk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
Que_Tal, have you ever thought of visiting Internet shops (and buying from those web shops) from Spain? There are some.

They sell Region 2, I know, not NTSC but PAL, and shipment costs are the obstacles to deal with.

But if you can find good deals, the shipment is accepable and you can view Region 2 PAL DVDs on your layer, well, who stops you?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
Also as a side note for Que_Tal there are a handful of R1 US released DVDs with Spanish language tracks. I am positive that Blue Seed and Tokko have Spanish tracks, and I know that Fighting Spirit at least has Spanish subtitles, so it might have a Spanish audio track.

And as a side note for everybody, buy Fighting Spirit. I think it's still on Right Stuf for $5 for each volume.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
I think the problem with anime fans today is that they've made it "uncool" to be a collector. Because everyone can see as much anime as they want with the internet, legal streams or illegal streams, no one feels they need to see it more than once so they don't buy it, even though they "love" it. But then again, you wouldn't want a voice actor to sign your hard drive. People who don't have jobs give the excuse that they don't have jobs so they can't buy it. But you'll always figure out how to get it if you want it. I save up extra money and write for online sites just to get extra money to buy anime, people will find extra money for what you want. I'm not collecting as much now, because there are only two or three titles that I actually want right now, but the problem is when shows don't appeal to a large enough amount of the fanbase for them to want to buy it.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been a pretty avid collector. Here's my collection from 2 years ago, and I haven't stopped buying:
animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2008-10-06

That being said, it is a pain in the ass when I have to move, and that collection is the brunt of the problem. I've been slowly replacing boxsets with thinpaks and save editions as i can, but since I haven't gotten rid of the boxsets I've replaced, it didn't actually slim my collection down how i wanted to.

I wouldn't mind going to a digital collection, but the media storage just isn't there yet. I backed up about 30 series using handbrake to an external harddrive a few years back, and just this spring, the harddrive fried on me. Without the dvd's, I'd have no way to get those back. Maybe once solid state drives are bigger and more affordable, but it's not there yet.

Maybe it's the collector mentality, but i want to own things, not rent them. I don't mind streaming, but i'd prefer to have the option to download the file to view. It's also usually cheaper in the long run.

I'd rather pay $65 bucks to own say, highschool of the dead and watch it whenever i want, now or 3 years from now, then pay $7 bucks a month to watch it from my computer. I suppose i can always cancel and resubscribe as needed, but that's a hassle. I want to put my money down and be done with it.

Now given, I have torrents of hotd episodes and a year subscription to theanimenetwork, but i'd rather just buy the episodes legally and have to do neither of the above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lazyknight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The Third Doctor wrote:
I will always need some type of hard copy. Hard drives have a tendency to screw up after a while. Even a backup copy on a jumpdrive is not 100%.

Don't forget to store your hard copy properly, or you might be better off going digital after all. Disc rot can make a DVD unplayable, and VHS tapes degrade with age as well. Sure, you're generally safer going with a hard copy, but it's still not a 100% guaranteed way to keep your media.

Just imagine coming home to find all your DVDs infected with disc rot. Then we really might have a death of an anime collector. Shocked
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
kakitamike wrote:

That being said, it is a pain in the ass when I have to move, and that collection is the brunt of the problem. I've been slowly replacing boxsets with thinpaks and save editions as i can, but since I haven't gotten rid of the boxsets I've replaced, it didn't actually slim my collection down how i wanted to.

Not exactly sure why, but reading that passage really cracked me up. But at least you've got half the equation down right!
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm a anime collector at heart. I really don't do streaming yet mainly because I don't have the right router for me to use streaming easily from my bedroom (I need a N router and I only have a G router).

Now I do use fansubs but ONLY for any series that hasn't been or never will be released in the R1 market.

Will I ever give up the physical media? Probably not. I like having a hard copy of something to hold and be able to show others. Now I do eventually plan to back up my collection digitally once I get a large enough hard drive to do so.

I do plan on either this year or next year (most likely next year) on upgrading to a Blu-ray player and start down my path of Blu-ray collecting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7