• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan Manga Listed in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I'll give this one a chance. After all, I'm always in the mood for Shonen Jump! Smile

I pretty much love all SJ manga, so this one should be no different. Besides, I like fantasy.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
The only manga that Viz legitimately dropped was Kurohime. Everything else, like Zatch Bell, was dropped due to complications in Japan.

Anyway, Nura is a Shonen Jump manga. So yeah.

Kurohime was dropped by them because it became an online series soley or something like that and Viz chose not to renew the license.

Since Nura's manga adaption is much better than the anime(I'm enjoying it, but the order of events makes little to no sense to someone who's read it first), I'll be picking it up.

I do hope Viz will soon make an announcement explaining what the heck happened to Reborn and Psyren. Reborn's new volumes aren't listed anywhere other than Rightstuf and Psyren's disapperared all together...
I never knew that series was dropped. Anyways, I'm sure everything will be alright Reborn!. It was listed on Amazon.com, but they took it off their catalog. Crying or Very sad

EDIT - I think Reborn! has been officially DROPPED. Volume's 17 & 18 are not available for purchase anymore.

Volume 17 - http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/1TzLK9uvn9wIQbrP-o/browse/item/88560/4/0/0

Volume 18 - http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/4Z5uODqKTut6M7nvRH/browse/item/88668/4/0/0

Last edited by Anime Remix on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
The only manga that Viz legitimately dropped was Kurohime. Everything else, like Zatch Bell, was dropped due to complications in Japan.

Anyway, Nura is a Shonen Jump manga. So yeah.

Kurohime was dropped by them because it became an online series soley or something like that and Viz chose not to renew the license.

It also seems that they've cancelled Bastard. On Viz.com Bastard Vol.19 is listed as the "Final Volume" even though its up to at least 26 volumes in Japan.

And Kurohime wasn't "dropped", they still own the license to it, but like you said, it did become an online series after Volume 14. So, Viz published all of the GN's currently available. They're up to about 18 volumes in Japan (with 15-18 being online), but it remains to be seen if Viz will continue the series online, or if the online chapters will eventually be released as GN's in Japan.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
There are rumors that Reborn! is getting added to Shonen Jump magazine, which explains why those volumes were delayed.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
There are rumors that Reborn! is getting added to Shonen Jump magazine, which explains why those volumes were delayed.
Thank You for saying that. Now, I can relax, Anime hyper. It would be awesome if Reborn! comes to Shonen Jump. Then more and more people can get introduced to the series and maybe the Anime will finally get picked up? Ah, just a thought. Embarassed Crying or Very sad Laughing Anime exclamation
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The kicker for me with Viz is that mainly that they edit without clearly labelling it - you just see something weird, then look it up and find out the Japanese version was different, and I simply don't pay for that, though I happily buy armfuls of GNs from those I don't suspect. I'd grab Del-Rey en masse since I haven't heard anything yet, and the translations, notes, and previews are great in what I've read.

Viz' censorship runs in the family too - Shueisha, another Shogakukan publisher like Viz, insisted on rewriting dialog from Battle Angel: Last Order to be PC (not use insulting terms in insults!) prompting the author to leave if they don't issue an apology and fix it in future runs. Not content to edit existing manga, they'll even rewrite the originals!

The next thing is series that aren't headliners get such a slow release schedule that you can't even buy several at a time - if they don't go out of print, then they may as well for the difficulty of finding copies. It's like they do JUST enough to say they're not just sitting on the license.

But now that I think about it, I guess they DO drop a lot of stuff partway in too...

So really, it's a huge risk buying anything from these guys, for myriad reasons. I'd love to support the author and everything, but how do you NOT lose with Viz? They way they put sales over integrity, they're making Mixx look like pros.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
fuchikoma wrote:
So really, it's a huge risk buying anything from these guys, for myriad reasons. I'd love to support the author and everything, but how do you NOT lose with Viz? They way they put sales over integrity, they're making Mixx look like pros.
Yes, Your myriad reasons. Now, let's look at the other things. Can you name some things that Viz censored? It's a huge risk? Seriously? Now, I can relate THAT to some things in the past they didn't finish. Anyways, yeah, as a Viz Fanboy, I wouldn't just let this get away without putting in MY response to this. In the end, it's not a risk to buy from those. Reasons for censoring is just a joke.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
fuchikoma wrote:
The kicker for me with Viz is that mainly that they edit without clearly labelling it - you just see something weird, then look it up and find out the Japanese version was different, and I simply don't pay for that,

The brilliant thing about picking fidelity of translation as a point to complain about is that its an intrinsically subjective matter: a pure transliteration from Japanese to English would be unreadable, and so every translation involves subjective choices by the translator, and so every translation is open to subjective arguments over those choices.

But more interesting was the contradiction between two of the other complaints. This one:
Quote:
The next thing is series that aren't headliners get such a slow release schedule that you can't even buy several at a time - if they don't go out of print, then they may as well for the difficulty of finding copies. It's like they do JUST enough to say they're not just sitting on the license.

The lower the sales volume, the slower the release schedule, so the only way that actions by Viz could be causing this is if they are deliberately sacrificing sales volume by the decisions that they make ... yet then:

Quote:
They way they put sales over integrity, ...

If they do in fact "put sales over integrity", then if they changed that, the result would be even slower release schedules.

Complaining that they are making decisions to slow release schedules, which implies not putting a big enough priority on sales, and complaining about putting too high a priority on sales, both in the same argument.

Seems like a perfect double-blind, where Viz is doing the wrong thing no matter what they decide.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
fuchikoma wrote:
The kicker for me with Viz is that mainly that they edit without clearly labelling it - you just see something weird, then look it up and find out the Japanese version was different, and I simply don't pay for that,

The brilliant thing about picking fidelity of translation as a point to complain about is that its an intrinsically subjective matter: a pure transliteration from Japanese to English would be unreadable, and so every translation involves subjective choices by the translator, and so every translation is open to subjective arguments over those choices.

It's not necessarily translation, but actual artwork. Compared to the other publishers, VIZ is the only one really editing/censoring stuff nowadays--I believe a recent volume of Rosario + Vampire was subject to this, when a bra was added to cover up breasts (isn't the seires rated 16+ anyway?). FMA has a stone cross changed to a stone slab. That's not to say a translation can't be knowingly censored without excuse. Though I still buy the series, Eyeshield 21 had a character constantly spouting F-bombs...And, I mean, actually saying it in English. It went along with his crude profile. It was changed to "damn" in the English version, despite the series being rated 16+ and having characters flipping the bird.

That said, I'm not too worried about VIZ dropping series or editing. It's annoying, though, that they continue, especially in the case of something like R+V. They don't label a series as censored, so people aren't able to pick and choose what they want.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
... Though I still buy the series, Eyeshield 21 had a character constantly spouting F-bombs...And, I mean, actually saying it in English. It went along with his crude profile. It was changed to "damn" in the English version, despite the series being rated 16+ and having characters flipping the bird.

Maybe they should have translated him as dropping F-bombs in Japanese? Cursing in a foreign language has different impact, after all.

But the censoring is almost certainly for one or another kind of commercial consideration ... so combining a complaint about that with complaints about slow release schedules and dropped titles is a perfect double-blind: they are putting both too high and too low a priority on commercial success at one and the same time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2