• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Tezuka Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
grooven wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:
Quote:
If you're even a little curious, scare up a couple of Kimba episodes and compare for yourself; if you ask me, the similarities are numerous and obvious.

If you ask me, both works are just Hamlet with lions.

Disney proves this when they showed a white lion in their pre-production reel (available on the platinum dvd release) and have the title tentatively called "The Jungle King" That was proof enough.

You do know that's the main plot of the Lion King right? Yeah the Lion King obviously took the Mandrill but the mandrill isn't the main plot of the series.

Did the Lion King take some images and ideas from Leo the lion? Of course, but then Tezuka took ideas from western animation as well. No one cares because that helps the industry. One of the main themes of the Jungle Emperor series was humans and animals living in peace, humans are never even mentioned in the Lion King

The similarities go much beyond the mandrill.

If you have actually read Hamlet and analyzed them, the only similarity is the uncle killing his brother and a ghost. You do know that the whole it is based on "Hamlet" isn't true if you have read Hamlet and analyzed the story an compared all three.

You do know I know more about this topic than you (Considering Jungle Taitei is my top favorite anime) This has been discussed a million times. I've done research for over 14 years. Disney proved it finally in their DVD release. Don't even bother trying to prove any re-used points.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Kimba was the subject of a little controversy back in the early 1990s, when Disney's The Lion King raked in $400 million at the box office. Some critics were quick to cite similarities between the two, but Disney were equally quick to distance themselves from the earlier work, claiming there was no connection. If you're even a little curious, scare up a couple of Kimba episodes and compare for yourself; if you ask me, the similarities are numerous and obvious.

If you're more curious, see Fred Patton's study of the matter, "Simba Versus Kimba: The Pride of Lions", published in Watching Anime, Reading Manga: 25 Years of Essays and Reviews, pages 144–184.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
These tapes are all that remain of the English version, though a Spanish film collector has recently surfaced with negatives of twelve episodes from KCOR's vaults, giving collectors hopes that they might one day see a DVD release.

Are you referring to that ebay auction from around Comic Con? I remember someone started a thread and said that you needed to take a look at the auction, wonder if anyone got the negatives.

And I shall keep an eye out for the that DVD at the end then, it sounds kinda cool and $20 is a pretty good price for a collection of shorts.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
If you have actually read Hamlet and analyzed them, the only similarity is the uncle killing his brother and a ghost. You do know that the whole it is based on "Hamlet" isn't true if you have read Hamlet and analyzed the story an compared all three.

Huh? I think you forgot some word or something in that paragraph.

Quote:

You do know I know more about this topic than you (Considering Jungle Taitei is my top favorite anime) This has been discussed a million times. I've done research for over 14 years. Disney proved it finally in their DVD release. Don't even bother trying to prove any re-used points.

That' really cool. Well, it would be (honestly) if you shared some of that research (or presented scholarly credentials), but just "claiming to know" on the Internet is not the way to get anyone to take you seriously. Otherwise, no one "knows" that you know more than them, and they probably won't even believe that you know more than them.

-t
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:57 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Quote:
These tapes are all that remain of the English version, though a Spanish film collector has recently surfaced with negatives of twelve episodes from KCOR's vaults, giving collectors hopes that they might one day see a DVD release.

Are you referring to that ebay auction from around Comic Con? I remember someone started a thread and said that you needed to take a look at the auction, wonder if anyone got the negatives.

Very interesting - I happen to have a very bad pirate DVD showing most of one of the dub episodes. I found it at a pound shop, sold as 'Choppy and the Princess,' so I thought it could be related, and I thought myself very lucky.

If it turns out there isn't a version out there that people can share links to, would you like me to rip what little I have and upload it to youtube? The quality is poor, but I'm sure it's the professional dub, as opposed to an HK release.

- Pips
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
grooven wrote:

Huh? I think you forgot some word or something in that paragraph.

Quote:

That' really cool. Well, it would be (honestly) if you shared some of that research (or presented scholarly credentials), but just "claiming to know" on the Internet is not the way to get anyone to take you seriously. Otherwise, no one "knows" that you know more than them, and they probably won't even believe that you know more than them.

-t

That is what happens when you write this way early at 2 am LOL. I'm terrible when it comes to typing ion the computer i tend to leave out large gaps.

I realize that nobody would really take me seriously. It even sounded childish. But if I were challenged I could bring valid points to argue with. Many of the points are now found on the net. I could only voice my opinion on having seen the source materials.

You can see all the comparisons on here: http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm

I used to be a Lion King fan so I know the movies very well. I have seen all the incarnations of Jungle Taitei from 1966, 1970, 1989 and the specials and 1997 movie (which I highly recommend). I even own all the original manga which is very different than the anime versions. If anyone has any questions they wanted to know or any such information I would be happy to provide any(recommendations and so forth). I could even show some images of my collection

I don't want to go on and have a huge argument when this article was really celebrating his all of Tezuka's works. I don't want to be a crazy troll either.I just can not stand it when people go back to the "Hamlet" excuse. I have read Hamlet and analyzed the dialogue and compared characters and story elements to TLK and Jungle Emperor.

All in all it isn't much of the story they took I think it was more of the character designs and imagery. I will post an example here of my own this is Bubu/Claw from the 1989 version his coloring and scar over his eye is pretty much identical to Scar. If some versions he is even referred to as Kimba/Leo's uncle.

On a more positive note I would love to see a new series of Jungle Taitei. None of the previous versions were close enough to the manga. The original was funded and mostly changed by NBC, the second was made more graphic because of NBC and the 1989 version was pretty much a standalone. Th 1997 movie was amazing even if different from the last chapter of the manga. The 2009 movie/special was terrible. So I hope something new comes about.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Did the Lion King take some images and ideas from Leo the lion? Of course, but then Tezuka took ideas from western animation as well. No one cares because that helps the industry. One of the main themes of the Jungle Emperor series was humans and animals living in peace, humans are never even mentioned in the Lion King

Though Tezuka was certainly influenced by western animation in general and Disney in particular, the main influence on "Jungeru Taitei" was actually Japanese. The first Japanese animated feature, "Momotaro Umi no Shinpei" (1945), with its portrayal of everyday life in the jungle, was the chief inspiration for the general mood and the entire concept behind "Jungeru Taitei": while "Momotaro" was produced as a propaganda-piece that demonstrated how "civilized" Japanese animals teach good Japanese values to the beasts in the jungles of Asia (representing the nations that Japan conquered during the war), Tezuka used a similar concept, without the nationalistic subtext - Leo also teaches the jungle animals the vaules of a civilized society. Tezuka was a huge fan of "Momotaro Umi no Shinpei", and he believed that beneath the national-propaganda surface, the film actually had a deeper anti-war message. This is not a far-fetched assumption, given that the director, Mitsuyo Seo, was actually a an anti-war activist who served time in prison for his political views before he agreed to direct films for the military. And not unlike Tezuka himself, he was also deeply influenced by tthe look of western animation: many trends that Tezuka popularized, including the big eyes that manga and anime became (in)famous for can be found in Seo's films even before the war.

Oh, and great piece (as usual) Mike. One Toei/Tezuka collaboration that you didn't mention and I'm really curious about is Wanwan Chushingura - a talking-animals version of the story of the 47 Ronin. It was also the first-ever animation project to employ the talents of a young Hayao Miyazaki. The film appears to have had an English-dubbed release at some point - at the very least, it has an official English title (Doggie March). Does anybody knows if there was ever a VHS or bargain DVD release?
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
Raz: If there's an English version of Doggie March, I've never heard of it. It sits alongside THE FLYING GHOST SHIP as the only great Toei films of the 60s to avoid getting an English dub.

If you know of an English version, I'd love to hear about it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
pomocho

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I remember watching 'Ambassador Magma' aka 'Space Giants' as a kid when it ran back in the late 70's. I never knew that it was a 'Tezuka' creation until the 'Anime East' 90 convention. I didn't know that he had past a year before that too. I had been curious about the OVA but because of such bad reviews with it's release here I sort of put it off my list to watch. But if they plan on reviving it then I might want to try and check out the older release. Ever since stuff like 'Giant Robo' I've been sort of fond of the older animation styles that Tezuka, Ishinomori and others have established. It would be nice if some of the older 'Phoenix' films were released. I know some didn't care for the MB release but I felt it was good for what we could get and it covers quite a bit. Of course 2772, is covered in the manga. Though I surprised that 'Tezuka' never really thought to animate the entire manga series while he was alive. The 'Tezuka' site shows what stories were turned into films. And if you want to research the whole 'Kimba' vs 'Simba' deal you can find plenty of that. I've read Fred Patten's essays. But you can find sites about US and Japanese that have found comparisons not just in the original Kimba but also later series with adult Kimba or Leo. They can deny it all they want but the proof remains. But that's past news but interesting nonetheless. Though I'd like to check out some old Astro Boy.

Ha, ha. So glad to see Mike slagging on the old Ambassador Magma OAV series; I remember being duped into buying that back in the nineties, and nearly renounced Tezuka shortly after the experience. After reading a brief blurb in Trish Ledoux's The Complete Anime Guide (yes, a questionable source of information, I know, but I was a highschooler and the only anime fan in a rural southern town and had no other way to find out about Japanese cartoons in those pre-internet days) favorably comparing the retro designs and "epic" grandiosity of Magma to that of Giant Robo, which was (and still is, probably) my absolute 110% favorite anime series of all time (say, Mike... maybe Yasuhiro Imagawa could get a career retrospective in the not-so-distant future?). So, with high expectations, I wound up special ordering the first two videotapes from Suncoast (for $30 each), took them home... and went into a berserker rage. Oh, maaaaaaaaaan, was that video series awful. Few things will stick with me like the strange growling ADR work done for that dog; I wish someone would capture that in a YouTube clip.

Fortunately, that didn't put me off Tezuka for good; on the contrary, I eventually become wildly obsessive about him and his work. So, in all, another excellent article, Mike; count me as a devotee. I would be interested in finding out more about the American release of Cleopatra: Queen of Sex, and look forward to finding out the results of your research; I can see it really bombing with seventies film critics (did Pauline Kael see this?) but being a big hit with the head crowd. I'd also love to know more about the English dubbed release of 1001 Nights that was briefly featured in Bad American Dubbing.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
pomocho wrote:
I'd also love to know more about the English dubbed release of 1001 Nights that was briefly featured in Bad American Dubbing.

I don't recall seeing this in BAD, but I haven't sat down and watched those shows in more than a decade. I'm gonna go ahead and follow up with Matt Murray to verify that it was in there and try to figure out where the CPF gang found it - if it does exist, I want it for my collection!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
I don't recall seeing this in BAD, but I haven't sat down and watched those shows in more than a decade. I'm gonna go ahead and follow up with Matt Murray to verify that it was in there and try to figure out where the CPF gang found it - if it does exist, I want it for my collection!

As BAD is largely committed to memory for me since that's what I did with my life (CPF has since posted them online; check their website), I can verify that they do indeed make fun of 1001 Nights (Badli: is that a noun or an adverb?). But the footage they use is from the movie's trailer.

As far as I can tell, I don't think I've encountered anyone who actually saw 1001 Nights in English despite the existence of that English-language movie trailer with dialogue samples in it. Common logic would dictate that a studio wouldn't release a trailer for something that didn't actually exist or never actually played in US theaters, but as I hopefully noted way back when I reviewed Belladonna, everything about the Animerama films defies common logic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pomocho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Mike Toole wrote:

As BAD is largely committed to memory for me since that's what I did with my life (CPF has since posted them online; check their website), I can verify that they do indeed make fun of 1001 Nights (Badli: is that a noun or an adverb?). But the footage they use is from the movie's trailer.

As far as I can tell, I don't think I've encountered anyone who actually saw 1001 Nights in English despite the existence of that English-language movie trailer with dialogue samples in it. Common logic would dictate that a studio wouldn't release a trailer for something that didn't actually exist or never actually played in US theaters, but as I hopefully noted way back when I reviewed Belladonna, everything about the Animerama films defies common logic.

Yup, that was it... although, to be fair, I had forgotten that the footage came from a trailer. And that wasn't the only (or funniest) joke made at Tezuka's expense throughout the duration of BAD either ("we all know what rabbits are known for..."). Essential viewing for those who haven't seen them.

According to Helen McCarthy, a hack-and-slash English dubbed print of the film did indeed circulate at one point, although details are fairly sketchy. In fact, there doesn't even seem to be evidence that it was screened theatrically in the west. A direct quote from her encyclopedia:

"An English-dubbed version, running at approximately 100 minutes and missing the crocodile sex, the lesbian princess, and several other scenes, was reputedly made for foreign distribution, though none of our sources can confirm its existence in translated form."

Which begs the question--who would want to see Osamu Tezuka's 1001 Nights with all of those wonderfully absurd and borderline hallucinogenic sex scenes excised?
ATOMU TOMODACHI

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hello Mr. Toole!

This is in answer to a statement you made in your recent post, "Tezuka Time"!
While you are correct in stating that the 1980s Astroboy show aired "sporadically" in the U.S., you're incorrect in stating that the version that aired in Australia had aired in Canada and the version that aired in the U.S. was different from the one that aired in Australia!
First off, the version that aired in Australia was the same one that aired in the U.S. That is to say, that the version dubbed by Battaglia & Lewis and coordinated by Tezuka Pro. & Nippon TV was the version that aired in Australia and "sporadically" in the U.S.
The version that aired solely in Canada was a redubbed and reedited version done by a company called Cinelume in English and I believe in French in order to meet their broadcast standards for children's programming! I hope you will find this information helpful!
Maur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching "The Astonishing Work..." some time earlier this year and it was very hit and miss for me. The one you described with the posters and then transitioning to war, Jump, and the last one with the forest were the only ones that still stick out in my memory, at least fondly. The rest of it had a very dry, artsy kind of thing that was "interesting" but not necessarily entertaining. I was just glad to see it mentioned since I "recently" saw it but it made me wonder, maybe I'm just not much of a Tezuka fan?
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
Mike, I completely agree that a lot of Tezuka's works should be availble entirely in America.

I even bought that Astoundishing Works DVD that was worth every penny. As of now I also trying to see other Tezuka anime that is availble in the US.

But I hope one day I'll see every Tezuka anime along with whatever new projects the Tezuka Productions comes out with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3