• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - But is it Art?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
What makes me sad is the combination of knowing that I was alive when the internet looked like that and computers could get by with that kind of hardware, and knowing that there are kids that would consider that stuff stone age. I hate feeling old at 23. Confused

Sydra wrote:
I remember my dad having a computer that only had two colors, two (orange and black). Terrible. I'm 26 by the way.

I achieved high-tech sentience before the primordial ooze solidified into land, back when punch cards were still in use. I programmed in assembly language on a TTY data terminal. I still have my first Mac (an SE). What is this crazy talk about feeling old? You need to reframe these uncomfortable feelings as nostalgia. Because once you recognize that your past is strewn with obsolescent, now-laughable tech, that's when your real decline begins. Rationalize the past as a once-popular sitcom you used to watch, and never speak of it to anyone who's unaware that Paul McCartney wasn't always a solo act.

InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
I-I feel so young all of a sudden/

Don't worry, it passes a lot more quickly than you'd think. Twisted Evil

Now everyone off the lawn. Scoot.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who just assumed Mr. Popo was some kind of outer space potato man or something? Not saying he is, I just didn't actually pick up on it when I first watched DBZ since he doesn't actually look out of place next to the likes of Piccolo, Freeza, etc.

----

As I see it, any creative or expressive activity could technically be called art. It's just not good art. If people feel that they artistically expressing themselves by drawing shitty, amateur pictures of Naruto then by all means, call it art. Just don't complain when everyone tells you your art sucks.

----

If I could be any female character? No, question, Major Kusanagi. Plus, it's not technically a sex change if you're changing into a robot body...right? RIGHT???

----

It's tough to say what the worst aspect is because I don't think it's so much one single area but a lack of innovation in all areas that is the problem. This does seem to be most prevalent in the characters though so I guess I'd pick that. Of course, from a business perspective, the stale visuals of a lot of anime may be more important. The traditional anime look has completely lost it's novelty in North America and I really think something with a fresh look may be needed to catch people's attention again.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
If I could be any female character? No, question, Major Kusanagi. Plus, it's not technically a sex change if you're changing into a robot body...right? RIGHT???

As a woman, if I could be any anime character period, I would be the Major. She is so unbelievably kickass.

(Btw, that would make an awesome "Hey Answerfans!" question)

Oh, and speaking of awesome fanart, there is a lot of brilliant art out there. If you can handle nagivating a Japanese site, I recommend pixiv.net. There's a lot of crap there, but that's where I got that picture (which unfortunately photobucket decided to shrink a little), and I swear some professional artists have to contributing to the site. Just do a search and check out the higher rated stuff.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
I am already female but I'd also like to be Kino if it comes with said talking motorbike.

Oh, man that video was nostalgic. I remember surfing the web in them days. In fact last night I was watching one of those Comcast "slow DSL" commercials and thinking how far we have come and that if there are people who think DSL is slow that they have never truly experienced slow internet. I remember getting on with my 2.4 baud modem and downloading some bitmap images of Sailor Moon and being excited the first time I saw and animated gif.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I dare say that forum users trained in relevant social sciences may have much to say about this. I myself remain unaware of whether such a transition qualifies as a change of sex or of gender. (If I were to instead assert an understanding of such matters, a faux pas could quite easily be committed.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
O deft Answerman
Thou art a fairly keen guy
Ye compose thine antiquated verses
yet doth not afraid of anything.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Am I the only one who just assumed Mr. Popo was some kind of outer space potato man or something? Not saying he is, I just didn't actually pick up on it when I first watched DBZ since he doesn't actually look out of place next to the likes of Piccolo, Freeza, etc.

No, not the only one, I thought the same thing up until the internet informed me otherwise.

If I could be any female anime character? Emeraldas all the way Very Happy
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Quote:
If you could become any female anime character who would it be?

I would be Kino from Kino's Journey, as long as I also got the talking motorbike.

Doubled!

I am already female but I'd also like to be Kino if it comes with said talking motorbike.

Me too. Except that it would be weird because then there would be four of us and we'd be... quadruplets or clones or something? With the same name and identical talking motorbikes and those coats.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
Sydra wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Twilightmaster wrote:
That video from what looked like the 90's makes me sad. partly because it's nostalgic, partly because they remind me of my parents and how they talk about the internet... u.u

What makes me sad is the combination of knowing that I was alive when the internet looked like that and computers could get by with that kind of hardware, and knowing that there are kids that would consider that stuff stone age. I hate feeling old at 23. Confused

Yeah. I remember my dad having a computer that only had two colors, two (orange and black). Terrible. I'm 26 by the way.

Orange and black! I am so jealous, you have no idea how ugly anime looks on a green monochrome monitor. Except of course for Animatrix: the Matrix is meant to be seen on a green monochrome monitor.

rabrek wrote:
Rationalize the past as a once-popular sitcom you used to watch, and never speak of it to anyone who's unaware that Paul McCartney wasn't always a solo act.
Paul McCartney went solo?

Edit: Balsa, but I'm only six episodes into Moribito.

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, judging by that internet video, I am really old. And by really old, I mean I'm in my late 20s.

Usopp would be considered a racially offensive character? I skipped a LOT of One Piece to watch the new episodes, but does he represent any racial background similar any actual ones?

I didn't see him as a black guy, a white guy, a Japanese guy or anything at all. I just saw him as a wacky character, since One Piece doesn't take place in a world resembling ours. With that long nose, he stands out from Luffy's original crew, but I didn't think his features meant anythi9ng.

It's funny that I didn't connect Usopp's lying with his long nose. Embarassed

Anyone who doesn't understand that 1) art is subjective and 2) Japanese animation is a form of art should either complete the 8th grade or die in a campfire.

Last edited by YotaruVegeta on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
brand wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Quote:
If you could become any female anime character who would it be?

I would be Kino from Kino's Journey, as long as I also got the talking motorbike.

Doubled!

Me too. Except that it would be weird because then there would be four of us and we'd be... quadruplets or clones or something? With the same name and identical talking motorbikes and those coats.

Christ, we'd have to change our names to Rei

er, spoiler, maybe
kailegh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

Greed1914 wrote:
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:

Is it just me or did his answers seem more...aggressive this week? I don't really care much (Aggressive Answerman owns all?) but it kinda felt that way...

I liked it. To the point answers are my favorite.

I liked them too. Not to say Brian beats around the bush, I just think that it's nice to see... well, 'lively' answers.

Agreed. The "kick him in the throat" bit made my day~
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Why yes... yes he did...

Like Band on The Run or Jet.

Onto the Major Kusanagi.. one of my friends has proposed the idea that the Major is male.. and one could question it with episode 1 from the first series and episode 13 from the 2nd Gig... of course memories could throw wrinkles or not... assuming that they are accurate we know that the Major had to get a replacement body fairly young... and in an emergency kind of situation one could imagine a doctor trying to save the life of a person with a prosthetic body but perhaps not having the right one on hand and the need is immediate, so they use what is on hand to save the life. Thus a situation like a male mind going into a female prosthetic body is possible.. one would wonder about how they as a person could develop... which could also lead to a immoral thought experiment (in my mind at least) is that say the doctor instead of desperately trying to save a life wants to study exactly that idea.. and has a captive and unwilling volunteer to force the experiment...

Also just saying the family computer in Highschool for me was The Amiga computer with the kick starts and the word program were you can't make a mistake, lest you delete everything and go back to correct it or the occasional ye olde typewriter.... with white out!..
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
rabrek wrote:
Rationalize the past as a once-popular sitcom you used to watch, and never speak of it to anyone who's unaware that Paul McCartney wasn't always a solo act.

It's been interesting to watch McCartney's identity evolve across the generations. Twenty years ago, it was "Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" Now it really does boil down to "Paul McCartney was in a band???" Of course, it's been a trick question all along. Everyone knows Paul Is Dead - he never had a chance to go solo. Full points awarded to agila61!

At the moment, I'm waxing nostalgic for carbon paper and mimeograph machines. Remember the smell of mimeographed copies? Mmmmm. I can only imagine how many brain cells perished.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Incidentally, Oda was once asked (in one of his SBS "ask the author" columns) what nationalities the OP cast would be if they DID come from our world. He said Usopp would be from Africa. But does that automatically make him a negative stereotype? Of course not. He's very smart, insanely resourceful, caring, and inventive. He's also come incredibly close to beating Luffy in a fight, despite lacking any sort of powers or physical skills. I'd say he's a pretty positive character, once you get past his goofy exterior.

Also, let's not forget that Brook, who is also awesome, also looks like he could easily be of African heritage. Or he did, when he was alive.

Not that it matters, because of course no reasonable person would judge Brook by the color of his skin. Oh wait...he doesn't have skin! Yohohohohoho!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5