• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Take Over Del Rey Manga Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swanjun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Eh, can't be any worse than the mess of manga Del Rey has been putting out for a while.

Also, I need to correct something, the article says that Parasyte has not been published in its entirety by Del Rey when in fact is has. It was published in 8 slightly thicker volumes instead of 12 volumes that it was original published in that Tokyopop also used. So it's only 8 volumes, but it is complete since each volume was 280-300 pages long.

You beat me to this correction, but yes, the 8th and final volume of Parasyte came out in July '09. Also, I'm reasonably certain that Le Chevalier d'Eon is complete now, too, with its 8th volume being released last July.

Also, for those who're worrying about Tsubasa, it won't be affected by this change because the final volume is coming out in November.
LKK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
and I can get me some manga for $4-6 bucks vs 10, I'll be happy.

$4 to $6 bucks? Are you talking cover price? Or a discounted price? Because if you're expecting $4 to $6 cover prices, I think you're going to be sadly disappointed. I doubt Kodansha will lower Del Rey's prices. In fact, if the prices change at all, I expect that they'll be higher.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know what to think of this, because it's not at all clear what this will mean. How will this affect the releases? Will their quality be higher? lower? the same? Will the same people be working on them? Will prices be affected, and if so, what will they be? Will this affect how quickly titles will be released? There's nothing in this announcement to say anything about how things are going to change except that there's an organizational upheaval going on. How that's going to affect us is totally unclear.

As long as the quality (both of the translations and the printed materials themselves) stays at least as high, if not improves, as long as the prices don't go up too much, and as long as this does not negatively affect the release schedules of existing titles, I'm not sure that I see much reason to care. It may even be an improvement. But I'd hate see titles not fully released or for the quality to go down at all because of this.

It seems to me that all this means is that change is coming. Whether the change is good or bad remains to be seen.
swanjun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
captkirakira wrote:
Jaymie wrote:

It's too bad Del Rey messed up a lot of series by doing the omnibuses. Kodansha should've interfered earlier (and maybe they'll rerelease the series they took from Tokyopop, too)!

Please and thank you! I would love to have Get Backers finished!

A big "me too" on that. GetBackers is the lost license that made me saddest. I hope someone asks them about this at their NYCC panel if, indeed, they actually conduct it.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Anyone reading this news who thinks this will mean lots of niche titles that only sell to the fringes of fandom is seriously in for a rude awakening.

Think VIZ people. Think VIZ.

Though I would most sincerely like to be wrong about this.

?
Please explain. Viz has been pushing their Signature lineup, which mostly consist of niche titles, a lot lately. Unless you're referring to the censorship thing with Bokurano vol. 2?

As for Kodansha republishing former Tokyopop titles, I'd love to see Planetes reprinted.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how to think about it.

My only hope is that they still use the translators Del Ray hired for a few series so it stays the same.

Just keep my Negima! volumes at $11 and it's all good with me Cool
Viajeras

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
Note to Kodansha: The US market is different. Stopping titleslike Rave 3-5 volumes from finishing proves you hate us.

PLEASE FINISH RAVE.

THIS.

Last week I got mail from RightStuf.com saying that my pre-order of Rave 33-35 got canceled because the item was canceled. Totally NOT okay if it never gets finished considering there are only those three volumes left. After spending $320 on this series, I'd have to go on a rampage if the ending never sees the light of day in the US.
I also hope to see GetBackers make a comeback, since one of my best friends is desperately hoping that somebody will finishing releasing that stateside.

This sucks. DelRay was probably one of, if not, THE best manga publisher over here.
machetecat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
machetecat wrote:

$4 to $6 bucks? Are you talking cover price? Or a discounted price? Because if you're expecting $4 to $6 cover prices, I think you're going to be sadly disappointed. I doubt Kodansha will lower Del Rey's prices. In fact, if the prices change at all, I expect that they'll be higher.
Manga is SERIOUSLY cheap in Japan. Like, $2 per book cheap. I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but I would hope that if they're cutting out the middle man, they'd lower the prices a bit.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
They won't. This isn't Japan. Graphic Novels are overpriced because they can be. The stuff that's in English to begin with is just as much / more expensive.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
LKK wrote:
machetecat wrote:

Manga is SERIOUSLY cheap in Japan. Like, $2 per book cheap. I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but I would hope that if they're cutting out the middle man, they'd lower the prices a bit.

Not sure what decade you live in, but most new manga is sold at list price, and costs 400-700 yen ($5-$10).

Go to Amazon.co.jp and find me a single manga published today that's being sold new at 200 yen or less... you can't.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
LKK wrote:
machetecat wrote:

Keep in mind that Kodansha's editions of both Akira and Ghost in the Shell are slightly more expensive than the Dark Horse editions of the same books- and Kodansha's were basically just reprints of those two.

I'm guessing it's more likely we'll see a continuation of Del Rey's pricing scheme, with higher prices on deluxe editions like Akira/GITS or on omnibus editions.

Tokyopop did issue Demon Sacred vol.1+2 simultaneously for $6, but that's a promotional idea they're playing with- vol.3 goes back up to the $11 standard for most of their books. Lower priced books of that sort tend not to be the norm, as manga sales at the moment don't merit it.

Kodansha'll still have to pay the same rates for translation, editing, and license fees and royalties to the authors to translate the works, so their costs won't be much different then say, VIZ's.
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Like the above person said, manga in Japan is like $5-10 a volume (which is still a bit lower than English prices). The two titles that Kodansha USA has published have been seemingly over-priced, which is a bit discouraging, though they are over-sized volumes, which I would think they won't do for all their series.

I'm really hoping that they finish Shugo Chara! and finish a few that Del Rey is potentially starting in the next few months (like ARISA).

Also, am I really the only one that's noticed that Del Rey's quality has been crap lately? I adored them in the beginning because they had the best quality out there, but I've stopped buying a lot of their work because it's just not what it used to be.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Just as Genshiken two (manga) is announced, Del Ray essentialy throws in the towel. I am not saying that said series was licensed yet, but since the last series was, there was a chance.

Now that fifty percent chance of that said series now becomes a question mark. Well, hopefully this doesn't hit the fan and end up being a gigantic mess.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again, Huston we have a problem here.
AnnoyedWabbit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
It seems to me that all this means is that change is coming. Whether the change is good or bad remains to be seen.

I agree completely. I'm a little baffled at all the omfg the sky is falling!! stuff going on. This might turn out to be one spicy debacle, or it might be just fine.

machetecat wrote:

Have you seen Japanese manga? It's cheap because it's bloody tiny, and printed on cheap paper to boot. I will take my Dark Horse and Viz Signature editions over Japanese stuff any day.

I picked up volume 3 of the Kodansha reprint of Akira just yesterday. The cover price is identical to the old Dark Horse editions, the spines are basically the same other than the logo (the Kodansha volume is maybe a few millimeters shorter) and opening to a random page, I didn't notice any difference in the print quality. The only difference that really struck me was that the paper Kodansha used is noticeably heavier.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
They won't. This isn't Japan. Graphic Novels are overpriced because they can be. The stuff that's in English to begin with is just as much / more expensive.

When a book sells 30000 copies in Japan, and 2000 in the US, you can guess there's going to be a price difference. Jason Thompson's article on Firefighter showed that some less popular manga titles VIZ was putting out were selling in the 100's. So, given the smaller market, they have to charge a little more to break into profitable territories.

There's also the fact that distribution costs add to things- Japan is an island, while the domestic manga market stretches across the entire continent, while also reaching into Great Britain and Australia.

Although, considering domestic monthly comics [colour or b+w] cost 2.99- 3.99 for 22-30 pages, 200 pages of manga for 10 bucks isn't a bad deal mathwise. Manga also usually tends to be a little cheaper then b+w OGN's [which wander around the 11.99-14.95 territory, but being original material, are more costly/timeconsuming to make- but also worth it for many books because, hey, it's brand-new, and it's what the book costs. ShadowEyes was worth the extra bit to me.]

Like you said, this isn't Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8