• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geico Insures Speed Racer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I saw this the other day. The line is pretty dead, but the timing is what made it funny. (Awkward pauses a la Space Ghost Coast to Coast.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I saw the commercial on ESPNEWS just a while ago. Very nice! Cool

Yes, Progressive is fairly cheap, and they have one of the best websites on the Internet.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I just happen to catch the tail end of it today,like a couple of hours ago.I thought it was highly amusing.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Progressive's quotes are as expensive as Geico for me. I am 28, no negative items on my drivers license either.

Progressive and geico will give me a quote of around $1000 for 6 months basic insurance and AAA and Allstate give me around $400-600 for 6 months basic insurance.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Brakus

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
This commercial is at least 2 months old.

Also, Geico (Government Employee's Insurance Company) is also one of the most expensive insurance companies out there. Allstate and AAA is much much cheaper.

You must have a lousy driving record.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
SnowStar_7* wrote:
Saw it today in the morning actually and my first thought was 'this will probably be posted on ANN today'.

kusanagi-sama wrote:

Interestingly enough, we've only received 1 e-mail regarding it. Don't assume that other people tell us about things, tell us yourself. If we don't use your news, no harm, if we do use it, yay!

Quote:
Progressive and geico will give me a quote of around $1000 for 6 months basic insurance and AAA and Allstate give me around $400-600 for 6 months basic insurance.

<sigh> I pay about $2800 a year. While this converts to $2300, standard of living wise it's about the same as paying $2800 in the states.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Thu May 12, 2005 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Also, Geico (Government Employee's Insurance Company) is also one of the most expensive insurance companies out there. Allstate and AAA is much much cheaper.

You must have a lousy driving record.

Nope, perfect driving record, poor credit rating though (under 600)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Gamelore

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
Yep I saw that one yesterday. One thing that's pretty funny is my philosophy teacher who's apparently some big famous british comedian was approached by Geico to do the gecko's voice recently

Anyone would be better than that drug addict who Geico apparently likes to support. That is partially why I find that company and their commercials repulsive.
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
Tribblewing wrote:
Needless to say, I was caught unawares and thought I was either hallucinating, or they were doing reruns of Speed Racer off non-cable TV.

I saw it on cable. Although it also caught my attention. I thought it was one of those VH1 shows that makes fun of anime... or was it Comedy Central who did a joke on it a while ago?

Anime_Freak wrote:
This has got to be one of THE dumbest commercials for Geico yet. It's right next to the 2 about the caveman and his friends(Which I don't understand one bit )

I actually find those quite funny. I mean who would not understand them. Well, I guess you say you're of those people.

tempest wrote:
Interestingly enough, we've only received 1 e-mail regarding it. Don't assume that other people tell us about things, tell us yourself. If we don't use your news, no harm, if we do use it, yay!

Sure, I was actually going to send it in if it was not yet posted. I love how this website posts everything about anime (even under the radar things). Of course, it's due to all of those who are constantly looking out for it. Smile
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the ad a few minutes ago on the History Channel. It was kinda cool how Speed sat there stonefaced after Trixie delivered the line. As if he too, had heard it a million times. Cool beans all around
Stueypark

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Which in turn isn't as cheap as USAA.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I caught it this afternoon. Funny stuff, but not as funny as the caveman on. Poor guys. State Farm here,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tamer Brad

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
Anyone know where to download this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2