• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Senran Kagura TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Guys, let me remind that this was how N. American companies started back in the 90's, both ecchi and H to finance their operations. Heck, ADV~Sentai was founded on Devil Hunter Yohko! Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't matter how many top tier anime they license if they grab just one titty show, because now they're impure, unchaste, defiled!

Companies aren't women in the eyes of mouthbreathers, they're companies, and they have clear reasons for licensing shows. Do you buy every single anime that comes out? No? Then why bother complaining that someone else gets a show they enjoy?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
I went and did the math:

Out of all the shows/movies/etc. that FUNimation released last year, only 5 titles could technically be counted as "titty shows".

Those titles are:

• B Gata H Kei
• Sekirei: Pure Engagement
• Freezing
• Strike Witches 2
• Cat Planet Cuties

Note that I didn't include any re-releases from S.A.V.E., Geneon, or otherwise. I also didn't include shows that contained mild levels of fanservice, but weren't the kind that focused heavily on it (ie. Fairy Tail, Okami-san, etc).

When you compare that to EVERYTHING else FUNimation released last year, you can see it's obviously NOT that much. People are over-reacting when they claim that all FUNi picks up is fap material.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It doesn't matter how many top tier anime they license if they grab just one titty show, because now they're impure, unchaste, defiled!

Companies aren't women in the eyes of mouthbreathers,

Heck, even women aren't women in the eyes of anime. One impure, unchaste incident doesn't get a woman defiled. Anime (maybe Japan itself) puts too much emphasis on the "first ______" whatever it may be, instead of treating it just a stepping stone to a healthy sexual life of everyone. Laughing
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Boobies for the win!

Sekirei already did this, I don't know what other cool tagline could Funimation for Senran Kagura. Laughing

Grabbing Ass and Taking Names!
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wish FUNi would just get into real hentai if they also love licensing these shows. There's hundreds of titles dating from back around 2006 when they stopped getting licensed in decent numbers, so a subdivision would never run out of product to acquire. Senran Kagura to me just feels like a waste of time when you have the likes of Qwaser and Manyuu floating around. This is just a regressive step backwards to Ikki Tousen, which had lackluster action and prurient fanservice, making it almost entirely worthless.

I know I rail on fanservice shows, but I have plenty of respect for hentai because at least it is honest about its intentions. In other words, we don't have all this absurd cock teasing with no action. And, I, too, wish they would get into the R2 adult imports since it appears that Media Blaster's is all but dead now. However, since they are located in Texas, of all places, something tells me that they may be squeamish about going down the R-18 route.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

And, I, too, wish they would get into the R2 adult imports since it appears that Media Blaster's is all but dead now. However, since they are located in Texas, of all places, something tells me that they may be squeamish about going down the R-18 route.

Texas-based ADV Films used to have a robust H-division, SoftCel Pictures.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

And, I, too, wish they would get into the R2 adult imports since it appears that Media Blaster's is all but dead now. However, since they are located in Texas, of all places, something tells me that they may be squeamish about going down the R-18 route.

Then I stand corrected. Now that is interesting, I wonder why Sentai is not picking up the slack?
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

And then there's Happy Carrot. Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
And they're still around as Happy Carrot. Laughing

Lyon Flare and Guy Double Target are mostly gory exploitation flicks with a tiny amount of graphic sex, think of Mezzo Forte. Hentai licensing is dead and it's basically only the Germans, with their godawful video quality, keeping up the barest minimum of slack. And I mean bad video quality. If any R1 anime was released similarly, people would want to publicly castigate the people in charge at any chance they got. But hentai is the perfect microcosm of anime's global problems at large, but perhaps its hyperbolic in that even bad video is preferable to pixelation. Being relegated to whatever region Germany is in, the reverse and likely the 25fps PAL conversion make them less desirable than clean 24fps NTSC R1 releases.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 am Reply with quote
Germany would be R2(same as Japan), but the NTSC-PAL gulf effectively puts it in its own region.

That said, I do have to wonder to what degree the mosaic would hamper international sales; from what I've heard hentai "ages"(sells out?) a lot faster than non-ero-anime so there's almost certainly room to play with the price point.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Germany would be R2(same as Japan), but the NTSC-PAL gulf effectively puts it in its own region.

That said, I do have to wonder to what degree the mosaic would hamper international sales; from what I've heard hentai "ages"(sells out?) a lot faster than non-ero-anime so there's almost certainly room to play with the price point.

So just give hentai an arbitrary waiting date and allow it open to license? Still we've seen basically zero new releases in the west, just some ones Kitty grabbed two years ago and are finally just releasing now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4