• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Video Game Groups Ask U.S. VP Biden to Not Censor Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I'd like to see people crusade against movies or TV for a change. Would make for a more interesting change of pace. Wonder how far Biden would get if he tried to challenge Hollywood.

You know that won't happen, because the politicians like those forms of entertainment. It's easy to blame the stuff that they don't like.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
American TV is the way it is because of these "crusaders." Look at any show made before 1996, children's shows especially, and you'll see what I mean.

You make a good point, and I was kind of half joking with my statement.

What I was referring to was more like Jerry Springer and Family Guy and essentially stuff where the only source of (intended) humor is people being whiny bitches to each other.

But yeah, kids shows these days are pretty dumb. They're random and lack cause and effect. They're almost not even narratives (I'm talking about stuff like flapjack and fairly oddparents)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
Note here the three justifications for the right of citizens to keep and bear arms:
1. Defense of one's personal rights and those of others.
2. The capacity to quickly raise a corps of qualified arms-holders in crisis situations (they didn't call them the Minutemen for nothing, you know).
3. A protection of liberty from the danger posed by a large, federal, standing army.

You're wasting your time, victor viper. Most of the people arguing about this couldn't care less what the Constitution actually says, or what it means. They just Want Something Done. They want to feel that Someone is Doing Something, and this is the need the Biden is fulfilling, like the good little politician he is.

If this whole "blame video games" for the act of an insane person seems irrational, it is because it *is* irrational. And trying to apply rational argument to irrational people is a wasted effort. There are a lot of scared people out there right now -- scared parents and non-parents, too. They want to see their fears addressed regardless of whether or not it really makes any sense. Hopefully some of them will come to their senses before things get too out of hand, but it's hard to tell.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

You're wasting your time, victor viper. Most of the people arguing about this couldn't care less what the Constitution actually says, or what it means. They just Want Something Done. They want to feel that Someone is Doing Something, and this is the need the Biden is fulfilling, like the good little politician he is.

Yeah, I know. But you've hit the nail on the head here. This whole business is based on fear and intellectual laziness. It's intellectually lazy because people refuse to acknowledge that incidents like Newtown and Aurora are not forecastable and are the products of innumerable small factors, any one of which individually is harmless. And history should teach us that when citizens beg governments to strip away their rights out of fear, things usually end badly.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
It's intellectually lazy because people refuse to acknowledge that incidents like Newtown and Aurora are not forecastable and are the products of innumerable small factors, any one of which individually is harmless. And history should teach us that when citizens beg governments to strip away their rights out of fear, things usually end badly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. So many people now have no idea what they're giving away every time something bad happens and they go running to government saying "do something, do something, do something."
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Um, do you even know what that phrase means? Because applying to violating gun control laws completely destroys any meaning it ever had. There's also the little fact that your draconian controls don't really address the fact that the gun used in the Sandy Hook shooting belong to his mother, whom he murdered and took it from, unless you're proposing to make her guilty of terrorism for not being able to avoid said murder and theft, in which case I suspect you might not pass one of your vaunted psychological exams.

EDIT: You know what, it deserved to be said: the gun control arguments presented in this thread do nothing but use this tragedy to back a political agenda. None of these proposals to "stop another Sandy Hook" deal with the fact that the shooter didn't own the gun - and legally couldn't own one.

EDIT2: If you really want to change the world for the better, do your research first. It does no good to reinforce the lock on the barn door if the horses are getting out through a hole in the side.

victor viper wrote:
I am always amazed when people think that prohibition of anything is the answer to a societal problem. Alcohol prohibition was a failure (if anything, organized crime in America can point to prohibition as a "growth opportunity"), and the same can be said for drug prohibition. However, of course gun prohibition will be different. We'll just weed out those disturbed people. Who? Those diagnosed with autism-like conditions, ADHD, anyone with a current prescription for Prozac or other drugs which treat similar conditions? There goes probably 20% of the population. Of course, this conveniently ignores that there's an existing black market for guns in the United States, so those disturbed people will just have to arm themselves that way instead of going to a sporting goods store (as Polycell pointed out).

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

If this whole "blame video games" for the act of an insane person seems irrational, it is because it *is* irrational. And trying to apply rational argument to irrational people is a wasted effort. There are a lot of scared people out there right now -- scared parents and non-parents, too. They want to see their fears addressed regardless of whether or not it really makes any sense. Hopefully some of them will come to their senses before things get too out of hand, but it's hard to tell.

victor viper wrote:
Yeah, I know. But you've hit the nail on the head here. This whole business is based on fear and intellectual laziness. It's intellectually lazy because people refuse to acknowledge that incidents like Newtown and Aurora are not forecastable and are the products of innumerable small factors, any one of which individually is harmless. And history should teach us that when citizens beg governments to strip away their rights out of fear, things usually end badly.

vanfanel wrote:
So many people now have no idea what they're giving away every time something bad happens and they go running to government saying "do something, do something, do something."
Okay, I get it: "You're part of the problem, not the solution!" I get it, I get it!
Look, I'm just sick & tired of the same ol' reaction from everybody else when crap like this happens. "Ban video games", "censor TV", "change gun laws", etc. as if it's gonna fix a blasted thing since the heart of the problem will still remain. My little rant was just me blowing off steam at how helpless I'm feeling right now, that's all. Embarassed
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Movies and TV need to be censored too.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Probably to political but as a gun owner I must say that the "guns are evil/owners are evil" nonsense that the liberal media is spewing is garbage. There are approximately 270 million legal gun owners in the USA yet 11 thousand death by guns which include in that stat legal self defense and police shooting bad guys. That isn't even 1 percent of 1 percent
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, this has been talked about on many gaming sites. But this is not going to work, I remember the supreme court struck down a video game regulation law from California.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

[Post removed due to blatantly disrespecting other users, applying condescending/incendiary labels and outright claiming people do not even have the freedom to hold differing opinions from his own.]

This needs to be framed, hung on the wall, and emblazoned with the title "See this guy? Don't be that guy."
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
[Post removed]

Article 10 of the Constitution of Mexico affirms the right to keep and bear arms, Canada recently abolished its long gun registry, and Germany has allowed private ownership of firearms since 1956.

If you want a true libertarian paradise, the United States isn't it. Try Somalia instead.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
Blaming video games, blaming legal gun owners, blaming pretty much ANYONE... our government is seriously pathetic. These aren't solutions.
MopZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
1. From everything I've heard and read, I don't think Biden is looking for a scapegoat.

2. I don't think you'll be able to stop these problems by just banning an censoring things. You have to curb them. Like making it so that people have to get a liscense to own assault weapons much like you need one to drive a semi-truck or construction vehicles, and educate them on the proper use and storage of those firearms. And, we could probably start by not making the perpetrators into mini-rock stars on the news. God, I swear that sometimes watching the news coverage of the murderers feels like I'm watching lifestyles of the rich and famous.

3. I wonder if someones made a flowchart on the direction these threads go, and how often each argumentative point is brought up on average.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
The ever-growing disinterest in owning guns among the younger generations in America will prove the most effective long-term method of gun control. Only a fifth of adults born after 1980 live in a household with a gun present, down from half of the adults in the generation that came of age between World War II and the Kennedy Assassination. In each succeeding generation, about ten percent fewer people report living in a household with a gun present. Extrapolating these trends to the future suggests that few people will be purchasing guns by mid-century regardless of the state of the law.

One of the reasons for the stridency of the NRA and other groups with ties to gun manufacturers is that they see the writing on the wall. Better to instill fear now so current gun owners stock up because the future for the gun manufacturers is anything but rosy.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they should try fixing the uncaring attitude of people in the country. People just generally dont care for others unless they somehow get some type of benefit from doing so.

I'd say that's the main problem. How to do so, I have absolutely no idea, nor do I think it will ever happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3