• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise Anime to Launch in 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motokokuroma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:35 am Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
To be fair, GitS bashes everyone pretty thoroughly, not just America.

(✿◠‿◠)
motokokuroma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Wonder if Masamune Shirow will have anything to do with it.

Masamune Shiro Tono is head of production team,
and chose director.

Motoko design was created in 3D image in autumn of previous year,
by young friend of Masamune Shiro Tono, as a gift.

He like design to extent he specify it is used in new series.

Masamune Shiro Tono, Production I.G. team and self,
all wish there is not disappointment when series air.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, Persident and CEO of Production I.G, will announce GitS Arise together with its female lead seiyu on Feb. 14 in Taipei. This makes me speculating if major Kusanagi will be voiced by another seiyu in this new series, as Atsuko Tanaka has been the voice of Kusanagi for the past 18 years. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ScottK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
One of the problems of being immersed in the Net as deeply as I am these days, things tend to slip by my attention from time to time - and this, sadly, happened to be one of them.

OH

MY

FRICKIN'

GOSH!

**ENGAGE CALMING MODE***

Ok - now that this news is now asymilated into my consciousness, here are a few comments and some things that I see that might be seen as "Series Continuity Issues" for the GitS franchise.

1) From the 2nd Gig Episode "Poker Face", Saito tells the story of his work in the Red Bianco Brigade in Mexico in 2020, where Motoko, Batou & Ishikawa were working together as part of the UN Team in Mexico. I don't want to sound like a detail-oriented prick, but Motoko doesn't look like a young teen in this timeline, and surely looks like a seasoned tactiction. Especially in her showdown with Saito, she seemed to be quite adept at her cybernetic capabilities versus Saito's.

2) Notice that the "uch/tachi/fuchi/whateverkoma" featured in the trailer had no facility to cary any team member. This is also "out-of-canon" with the original Manga and S.A.C., so this brings into question if this is truely a prequel where the writers had a slight continuity problem *or* is it a franchise reboot / re-imaging.

What I *think* we may be looking at here is more than an actual prequel, but an entire series / franchise reboot or re-imaging, with obvious blessings from Shirow & Oshii - or not.

It wouldn't hurt to have a reboot of the franchise, with a younger / teen Motoko to appeal to a younger audience, or even add that dreaded (sigh) moe-factor to Motoko. If that's the case, I would definitely miss my ass-kicking bad-ass Motoko.

Will this "kill" GitS? No, Just as the destruction of Vulcan and a romance between Uhura and Spock did not kill the "Star Trek" franchise reboot under JJ Abrams. Things, in order to survive, must some times adapt.

--ScottK
MajinSaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:23 am Reply with quote
I really can't wait for this. GITS is one of my favorite series of all time. Although I really hope they're able to bring the entire English cast from SAC. This is one of those series (much like Cowboy Bebop or FLCL) where the dub is infinitely better than the sub in absolutely every way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9