• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannavy85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Anime Expo in Anaheim was awesome! Had a great time, found almost all of the stuff I was looking for and you could tell who spent time and effort on their costumes. I must say though if I saw another Inuyasha or Trigun walking by I would have had a fit, those had to be the most popullar costumes this year and they were in abundance.

Yes indeed a most excellent experiance.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:11 am Reply with quote
I'm seriously considering going next year. Sakura Con's nice, but I've always wanted to go to a big con at least once. When and where is it next year?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:00 am Reply with quote
Ferquin wrote:
I'm seriously considering going next year. Sakura Con's nice, but I've always wanted to go to a big con at least once. When and where is it next year?

The party will begin once again July 2nd - 5th, 2004 at the Anaheim Convention Center!

(from http://www.anime-expo.org/)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dannavy85

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:18 am Reply with quote
I'm looking more at the Convention in May rather than July that's been nicknamed "Expo-lite", reason why is threat of deployment.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:25 pm Reply with quote
GAH! That's my only problem with going. It's during the 4th. I work in retail so getting the 4th off is relatively hard, and I always make it a point to go to this local 4th of July thing every year. Damn. If it was later in July, it'd be great. Oh well. I'm gonna have to think this over a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I was blown away by the immense trade-show style displays brought by ADV, Viz, Pioneer, Bandai, and Tokyopop. I wonder how much they spent?

So who do you think had the best? I think Pioneer's was the most attractive, but Bandai's headphone video theatre was cool. And of course, ADV's new display had a platform for the ADV bigwigs to play "emperor", throwing treats to the adoring throngs in return for their cheers.

------RM
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:32 am Reply with quote
Words cannot express how jealous I am of those of you who had the opportunity to go to Anime Expo. I would love to get to experience a huge con like AX or BAAF. My local con (Nan Desu Kan) is in, I believe, it's 7th year and has grown quite a bit. Still, it is a dream of mine to go to one of the biggies.

To me, the dealer's room is what seperates cons from each other. (What can I say. I must have.....stuff) Having not experienced one of the bigger cons, I can only guess how big the dealer's rooms are at these places. NDK's dealer's room is huge. In fact, it is bigger than the dealer's room at our local Sci-Fi convention (Starfest) which has been around for quite a while. So, if NDK's dealer's room is so big just think how large AX or BAAF's are. (drool)

Getting stuff (drool) aside, the pull that a bigger con has in getting guests also can't be ignored. Don't get me wrong, NDK does well in this area but the biggies are more likely to pull more guests.

(sigh) It looks like I'm going to have to plan in advance next year.
dannavy85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I think ADV was taking a big stupid risk with throwing free stuff off the tower. There were a number of fights on the floor and one kid even snatched the t-shirt after vaulting over my wife's wheel chair I swear I was about to toss him into a display.

I already made a complaint to their website that they better not even think of doing that dumb stunt at the next Expo.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:02 pm Reply with quote
BuffaloStyle wrote:
Words cannot express how jealous I am of those of you who had the opportunity to go to Anime Expo. I would love to get to experience a huge con like AX or BAAF. My local con (Nan Desu Kan) is in, I believe, it's 7th year and has grown quite a bit. Still, it is a dream of mine to go to one of the biggies.

Hi-five, NDK is my home con, too. In fact, stop by Video 3 this year in the morning. I'd love to meet you.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:37 pm Reply with quote
dannavy85 wrote:
I already made a complaint to their website that they better not even think of doing that dumb stunt at the next Expo.

I expect that ADV will continue to do that. Last year there were numerous complaints from merchants located near them, that's why they were put into that seperate section.

They also make a point of specifically pointing to people who will have trouble "fighting" for a t-shirt and toss directly to them if they stand on the side. I was on the top of the booth at one point and watched them do this for a young girl and a lady carrying a baby.

As for the guy who cvaulted over your wife, you should have tossed him into a wall or something, that was idiotic on his part.
caulfield

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Haha! Capcom does the same thing at every E3. Its funny because people scream and scramble for crappy cotton advertisements every year at the Capcom booth even though every other company is handing out the same crud in open boxes and bins. It seems as if its more fun to gather in a mindless mob and hurt eachother for a free shirt than to walk up to another developer and grab a shirt from a cardboard bin. I can't believe that Capcom is just that popular, as they would likely claim.

I wanna make it out to the next AX tho but I'm wondering something. The two biggest cons I've been to are E3 and DefCon and both have a large number of people who get drunk and party etc within the vicinity. Is AX the same or is it pretty conservative?
Masayume

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Maybe next year I'll make it out to AX or something, but I'm telling you...I'm getting really sick of seeing that man Faye's picture being slapped up everywhere on IRC and various other places. Things like that should just be outlawed Anime cry
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:08 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Hi-five, NDK is my home con, too. In fact, stop by Video 3 this year in the morning. I'd love to meet you.

Cool. I just may do that.

It sounds as though you are either volunteering in Video 3 or you are planning on watching a lot of anime. You know, you could easily lose a lot of time in those video rooms. Time that could definately be put to good use in the Dealer's Room Very Happy . Ah, yes. NDK is just over two months away and my wallet is beginning to burn.
dannavy85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wanna make it out to the next AX tho but I'm wondering something. The two biggest cons I've been to are E3 and DefCon and both have a large number of people who get drunk and party etc within the vicinity. Is AX the same or is it pretty conservative?

I'm tempted to say Conservative. Oh there were parties and dances but I didn't see anything insane such as drunken parties or any form of wild lunicy. Everyone had a great time, tons of cosplay and the dealers room is getting bigger.

I say another 5 years of this and Expo will rival the big Comic Con in San Diego.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:16 pm Reply with quote
caulfield wrote:

Despite their motto, there was not Party at AX.

The two biggest things (party wise) to happen were the Industry Party (which I did not go to) and the Viz Party (Which I enjoyed, for the company, but wasn't much of a party).

AX just isn't a party con at all, I'd like to see that change, but who know.

I've been to ACen, which is much smaller, and it was packed with parties...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2