• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Simulcast Fractale Starting Tomorrow

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Funi havnt been getting hardly any anime of lately and still waiting for them to get Index 2
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
rhetoricalnoise wrote:

This may not be the best place for this, but I have a few questions about streaming. Since Funimation is handling this show, does that mean that it will show up on Hulu? Do all Funimation Simulcast shows appear on Hulu?

I don't know how hulu plus works but all the previous noitaminA shows are on hulu so it stands to reason that Fractal will pop up there too (usually it appears a day or two later however), hope it shows up for you!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
RisikaFox wrote:
Definitely watching this one. I wish Funi would simulcast more titles, because unlike Crunchyroll, you don't have to pay to see it legally the week it's released.

While that may be true this time, I can recall multiple simulcasts from Funimation in Summer 2010 that were 2 weeks behind the first broadcast in Japan.

I also know that for Fall 2010, their simulcast of Sora no Otoshimono: Forte was on the same one week delay as CR's free version.

agila61 wrote:

Still a mystery if TAN or ANN are doing anything ~ and TAN would normally have announced by now going by their past three seasons, so they might be taking a pass on Winter 2011, or might be in negotiation limbo.

While ANN has been mum, TAN would have to backpedal if they had no Winter 2011 simulcast, as in the "Anime Network Announces New Shows for January & More" news article on their site, there is the statement, "..., including the airing of our latest simulcast".
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
While ANN has been mum, TAN would have to backpedal if they had no Winter 2011 simulcast, as in the "Anime Network Announces New Shows for January & More" news article on their site, there is the statement, "..., including the airing of our latest simulcast".
Which argues for negotiation limbo.

wandering-dreamer wrote:
I don't know how hulu plus works but all the previous noitaminA shows are on hulu so it stands to reason that Fractal will pop up there too
Hulu Plus only has a very limited selection of anime. I have no idea why Funimation does not put their whole slate on Hulu Plus ~ that would be a way to get their shows on the Roku without the total loss of streaming revenues that happen when people watch the YouTube version without the ads.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Great. Another interesting series that will only be streamed in Canada via shitty youtube streams. Thanks Funimation!
For Moyashimon and Princess Jellyfish, the 480p youtube streams were the best quality out there, so I don't know what you are complaining about.

You're suggesting the Hulu streams look even worse? I guess that's possible. I wouldn't know obviously. I can say with certainty though, having seen them myself, that the youtube streams look like ass. So if that's the 'best' that sorta highlights the problem eh?
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Judging the artwork, I'm very interested. Does anyone know if there is a trailer out there?

Ahhh, a short trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xloA9MAnhMQ
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
To answer so many questions:
Yes, Hourou Musuko/Wandering Son is a very serious series, it is not "vaudevillean" (and please give me kudos for not launching into my obligatory rant whenever someone praises Koi Kaze).

Since it took Funimation over a week after Kuragehime/Jellyfish Princess started in Japan to announce they'd be streaming it, this is much better.

I'm still trying to decide whether the demand for "720p/1080p on everything + no commercials or else I get fansubs!" is the most blatant case of anime-fan entitlement, or if "I shouldn't have to pay for anything" is. I think it's still the latter by a sizable margin. Personally, I prefer Funimation even with lower video quality because their translations and subtitling are better than CR's.

That said, Funimation is really missing out by not offering higher-def streams for small fees. Put your shows on in higher defs on Hulu+ and I'd subscribe for the first time ever.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I'm still trying to decide whether the demand for "720p/1080p on everything + no commercials or else I get fansubs!" is the most blatant case of anime-fan entitlement, or if "I shouldn't have to pay for anything" is.

Oh stop rambling at straw men. Nobody here said a damn thing about resorting to fansubs instead.

Of course, I don't see anything wrong with wanting higher quality and no commercials assuming you're willing to pay. I also think wanting it to be free is perfectly reasonable if you're willing to accept lower quality and/or commercials. Demanding all three would be a bit of a stretch but once again, nobody here is actually demanding that.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Will this be available on Funi's Youtube channel? Ever since they failed to simulcast Shiki on Youtube (the only way I can think of to watch Funimation simulcasts outside of the United States) I've been questioning every title they announce to simulcast.
toyNN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Very happy to see Fractale being simi-cast. The art and story make this one of the most intersting shows for Winter - at least for me. The still art I've seen look great - might not translate into the anime. Story seems interesting too - either way its a win for us.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
THANK
YOU
GOD.

I'm really really really glad Funimation picked this up. I was quite pissed when CR failed to do so, but with all the shows this winter (that I care about) available in a legit manner, all is right with the world.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
Okay, I have a question here that I hope someone can answer.

I've been watching pretty much all the noitaminA shows that Funi hosts on their website. Preferably I like to watch the videos on Hulu if I can, because for some reason Funi's video player is occasionally buggy for me and I have yet to have a problem with Hulu's; however, I really want Funi aware of my watch stats (I assume they have something that tabulates the number of times a video has been streamed on their website), so I watch it on their website. I'm hoping that the increase in stats might get them to eventually license one of the series.

The question is: does anyone know if Funimation (or any other anime licensing company) gets information on watch stats from Hulu?

I'm really hoping Tatami Galaxy, Shiki, and Kuragehime get licensed. Really, really hoping.

I'm to the point where I may just stream a random episode of each per day. Maybe go to different places where free WiFi is offered and take my laptop along and watch from those places.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
The question is: does anyone know if Funimation (or any other anime licensing company) gets information on watch stats from Hulu?

Yes, they get watch stats from other hosting sites such as Hulu. They also get money from those sites when the watch stats reach appropriate contractual levels. This was mentioned by a Funi rep at a con I attended last year.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
It was good. I expected a less interesting first episode but it gave me a few laughs and the art was really good. The animation was brilliant though funimations video quality kinda sucked but I shouldn't complain since I saw it free and legal.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally, I prefer Funimation even with lower video quality because their translations and subtitling are better than CR's.

I prefer CR because they simulcast to my country. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5