• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Asylum Session Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Dub vs sub eh?

I'm impatient so I buy when I can get it. If that means I have to watch it in Japanese when English subtitled than so be it. I'm down for a dub every know and then but they aren't as abundant as they used to be and I'm not going to wait months, or even years, to watch a show I'm interested in.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
That seems to be what a lot of people on the interewebs say now, especially the pretentious people at mania.com, but if that's true why is Media Blasters going back and dubbing like four shows they released subbed only? They dubbed Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro Chan, Lovelsss, Kashimashi after releasing them sub only a long time ago, and they're going to go back and dub Strawberry Panic as well. If it was as cut and dry as you say, they would be doing that at a loss. Most of those aren't exactly "mainstream" shows, they're niche as hell.

Gee, I don't know, but maybe those shows did so well via their sub-only releases that they generated enough profit that made it worth dubbing and re-releasing them via dual-audio collections? And it's not like MB is the only company to be doing that, as Sentai is also doing the same, and even offering trade-in programs for those who want the dubs but don't want to pay up again for what amounts to the same show but with a new coat of paint. People like to insult sub-only releases, but they've proven to be good litmus tests for some shows which would later get dubs due to them selling well sub-only.

You say pretentious, and that could be the case for some of the people there, but no one there is saying that if a show is released sub-only that there's no chance of it ever getting a dub later on if it sells well enough; they're instead saying that it's too much of a risk to dub at that moment in time. Tis better to play it safe and then reap the rewards if possible at a later date than try to put everything in at once and potentially lose more than you expected.

Now as for Asylum Session being sub-only, it is odd how Sentai isn't dubbing something that's only one hour long, but I'm going to guess that they got this movie for cheap and don't want to risk losing more than they paid by dubbing it if no one's going to buy it. And that trailer surely isn't promising...
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Ghidra999 wrote:
That seems to be what a lot of people on the interewebs say now, especially the pretentious people at mania.com, but if that's true why is Media Blasters going back and dubbing like four shows they released subbed only? They dubbed Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro Chan, Lovelsss, Kashimashi after releasing them sub only a long time ago, and they're going to go back and dub Strawberry Panic as well. If it was as cut and dry as you say, they would be doing that at a loss. Most of those aren't exactly "mainstream" shows, they're niche as hell.

Gee, I don't know, but maybe those shows did so well via their sub-only releases that they generated enough profit that made it worth dubbing and re-releasing them via dual-audio collections? And it's not like MB is the only company to be doing that, as Sentai is also doing the same, and even offering trade-in programs for those who want the dubs but don't want to pay up again for what amounts to the same show but with a new coat of paint. People like to insult sub-only releases, but they've proven to be good litmus tests for some shows which would later get dubs due to them selling well sub-only.

You say pretentious, and that could be the case for some of the people there, but no one there is saying that if a show is released sub-only that there's no chance of it ever getting a dub later on if it sells well enough; they're instead saying that it's too much of a risk to dub at that moment in time. Tis better to play it safe and then reap the rewards if possible at a later date than try to put everything in at once and potentially lose more than you expected.

Now as for Asylum Session being sub-only, it is odd how Sentai isn't dubbing something that's only one hour long, but I'm going to guess that they got this movie for cheap and don't want to risk losing more than they paid by dubbing it if no one's going to buy it. And that trailer surely isn't promising...

The commentary at mania.com was really not that nuanced. It was more like that dubs were this huge overhead money drain and we were lucky to get them with anything that wasn't DBZ or Evangelion. If that was the case, I doubt anyone would ever go back and redub anything. I mean you probalby sold as many as you could with the original release, so wouldn't doing a dub just be more overhead that would create a loss for future sales?

Soemthing in this equation doesn't really add up imo. KashiMashi is like a niche in a niche using these standsards that are always thrown around. Maybe, just maybe this has more to do with Section 23 financial and distribution problems then it does to with a one hour movie not being able to be dubbed due to a cost/benefit analysis that ignores everything else wrong with that company. It also sounds like stuff that is getting redubbed is an admission that a mistake had been made.

Last edited by Ghidra999 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
If Sentai were having problems with finances and distribution severe enough that they would alone prevent the dubbing of a 60 minute movie, then wouldn't they have also prevented the dubbing of Clannad theatrical and Needless which are being released in the same month? Also, distribution problems would likely also cause shipment and street date delays, which so far Sentai has been the only R1 to generally avoid (with the noted exceptions of the one day delay for the Canaan bluray set and the delay for the Legend of The Dark Kin bluray.)

I think its far more likely they decided dubbing a movie many people have never heard of and very few seemed to want would be a waste of financial resources. As others have said, the trailer doesn't look promising either and will not likely sway buyers.

Considering this is Sentai, I wouldn't be surprised if this was acquired simply to open the door for more titles, or perhaps one in particular they really want.

Also, I find a lot of the anger directed at Sentai for not dubbing titles a bit funny as the only company dubbing more titles than them is Funimation, who literally has ten times the market share.
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
If Sentai were having problems with finances and distribution severe enough that they would alone prevent the dubbing of a 60 minute movie, then wouldn't they have also prevented the dubbing of Clannad theatrical and Needless which are being released in the same month? Also, distribution problems would likely also cause shipment and street date delays, which so far Sentai has been the only R1 to generally avoid (with the noted exceptions of the one day delay for the Canaan bluray set and the delay for the Legend of The Dark Kin bluray.)

I think its far more likely they decided dubbing a movie many people have never heard of and very few seemed to want would be a waste of financial resources. As others have said, the trailer doesn't look promising either and will not likely sway buyers.

Considering this is Sentai, I wouldn't be surprised if this was acquired simply to open the door for more titles, or perhaps one in particular they really want.

Also, I find a lot of the anger directed at Sentai for not dubbing titles a bit funny as the only company dubbing more titles than them is Funimation, who literally has ten times the market share.

Meeting street dates is not the kind of distribution problems I'm referring to. If Media Blasters can get a title to 2x retailers, and Sentai only ships them to 1.2x retailers, obviously Media Blasters titles will sell more units. So in essence in this scenario, it isn't the fault of the title. It's the fault of Sentai not having the kind of arrangements to sell it to its full potential.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Meeting street dates is not the kind of distribution problems I'm referring to. If Media Blasters can get a title to 2x retailers, and Sentai only ships them to 1.2x retailers, obviously Media Blasters titles will sell more units. So in essence in this scenario, it isn't the fault of the title. It's the fault of Sentai not having the kind of arrangements to sell it to its full potential.

I don't know what retailers you're seeing that carry Media Blasters titles but don't carry Sentai's. Not to mention, their market shares are fairly comparable at about 3% each, so their sales levels should be identical. I think you picked a bad example there.

Regardless, don't forget that the more retailers you ship product to, the higher your level of product returns are going to be, particularly when dealing with B&M. That's one of the prime reasons the smaller distributors such as Sentai, NIS, Aniplex, and Nozomi have been focusing more on websites like Amazon, Deep Discount, Right Stuf etc. The media returns are much lower. It does no good if you ship someone like Best Buy 5000 copies, but they return 4500 of them a month later. Retailer sendbacks caused a lot of problems for ADV, Geneon and Bandai in the past.

In the case of an extremely tiny subset of shrinking market, having a smaller distribution channel is not necessarily a bad thing, particularly for the niche titles Sentai and Media Blasters specialize in. Even if you do ship thousands more copies to more retailers, there is no guarantee they will sell significantly better or offset the added cost.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Umm, what are you talking about? I've never heard such a thing. Name one instance on this forum where a bunch of people complained about something being dubbed.

I'm afraid you're trying to make apples out of applesauce, buddy. There's no such thing as a large group of anti dub fans. Please stop trying to defend the irate and immature behavior of anti sub morons.

You don't have to buy the title and your entitled to your opinion. But don't defend childish hyperpole.

There are mainstream titles and niche titles,every single one of Section23's sub only releases are niche.

Maybe not on this forum but if you have ever visited MyAnimeList they have loads of anti-dub people. Not really anti-dub but basically people who say its impossible for dubs to be good or anywhere near as good as the original. I don't really mind either way, I actually find it funny that people can get so riled up over this.

Anyways what it comes down to is that if I really like something I would buy it with or without a dub. And who knows if most people do this maybe they will go back and dub it eventually. Look at Clannad, Tears to Tiara, Blue Drop, Ghost Hound, and a few others I am sure.

I'm exactly the same. I buy both bilingual and sub only titles. I couldn't give two monkeys about a release being dubbed or not. I have the same attitute as otaku did in the 90s, we should just be lucky the title got licensed at all and not take it for granted, sadly that's what anti sub and dub cynics don't seem to grasp.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Dub vs sub eh?

I'm impatient so I buy when I can get it. If that means I have to watch it in Japanese when English subtitled than so be it. I'm down for a dub every know and then but they aren't as abundant as they used to be and I'm not going to wait months, or even years, to watch a show I'm interested in.

You and me both brother.
aeolus23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Dub vs sub eh?

Exactly.

I'm a dub fan, though I'm also pretty good at adapting to situations where I don't get exactly what I want. Sure I'm a little disappointed when shows like Toradora! and Taisho Baseball Girls get a sub-only release. But at the very least I can have some solace in knowing that there IS an official release and that I wouldn't have to wait any longer to get my hands on it.

However, I really like the treatment that NIS is giving fans when it comes to sub-only releases. The extravagant packaging and extras included in their releases does help soften any disappointment for a lack of dub.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
I believe it was Roger Ebert who pointed out that ALL animation is dubbed, as the moving drawings aren't actually alive and capable of speech.

I know that's been mentioned before but technically that's not right. To dub means to replace (or slap over) an existing audio track or over something that it was not originally designed for. And the original audio track is not dubbed even if the audio is recorded later simply because nothing to begin with.

More importantly, the animation, the lip flaps, line / phrase / word timing including things subtle things like pausing, stuttering (all of which can also affect the entire scene by a small amount if changed) were all planned and executed for the original language dialogue. Dubs have the extra hurdle of working around or within those limitations.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
mike.motaku wrote:
I believe it was Roger Ebert who pointed out that ALL animation is dubbed, as the moving drawings aren't actually alive and capable of speech.

I know that's been mentioned before but technically that's not right. To dub means to replace (or slap over) an existing audio track or over something that it was not originally designed for. And the original audio track is not dubbed even if the audio is recorded later simply because nothing to begin with.

In the case of ADR for live action (due to noise on location for example) this would be correct, which is where the replacement part comes in. As far as I know, dubbing is still the correct term to use even if there is no existing audio as with animation. In Japan it is referred to as Afureko (after recording):
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/アフレコ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
It's common knowledge. Stop whining and begging for links. It's not our fault you haven't come across something that is a very old, tired, and common argument. It's not a straw man. A lot of sub fans are not anti-dub, but some are elitist jerks. ...
IOW, this is the internet, and a determined, single-minded minority can make a noise that is far bigger than their actual numbers.

The thing about cranks on the internet is that they are willing to argue a point to death, and so they say something, people disagree, they argue back, people disagree, they DM their mates to come in and support them, someone loses their temper, people make slightly different arguments and start quibbling over minor points, and you end up with the appearance of "this is a big argument", when there's no way of telling if its more than a dozen people who just like to argue on the internet.

Meanwhile people who prefer subs without going to those extremes are massively under-represented in those arguments, exactly because they are not as extreme about it and so are not excited by the idea of arguing about it. Just as people who prefer dubs but can get by with a sub if they have to are under-represented compared to "if it doesn't have a dub I aint watching it".

A dub more than doubles the fixed cost for a North American distributor. But that is a fixed cost, so if the demand is strong enough for the anime, then the extra sales from having a dub will cover the cost of the dub plus a profit. If the demand is lower, then the extra sales from having a dub won't cover the cost of the dub, and a sub-only release is the only option that can earn back its fixed costs of production.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4