• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Shocking Betrayals Out of Left Field

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
...a betrayal years in the making and meticulously planned to be ruthlessly nasty...

Which reminds me to bring up Gankutsuou, but I guess doesn't quite qualify for the list since the entire anime was built on betrayal and it wasn't like the viewers couldn't see it coming, the ending theme notwithstanding. :)

And in Tales of Symphonia it seemed like spoiler[pretty much everyone but Lloyd ] was on the betrayal train. The shock! kind of wore off after awhile. :)
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Aizen-chan wrote:
Ah, but was Vicious ever on Gren's side to begin with?

Of course he wasn't, but that's pretty much irrelevant - he betrayed Gren's trust in him (and pretty much ruined his life). He knew that Gren regarded him as a comrade/friend, and he betrayed this trust. (Via a music box that plays a tune he named "Julia." Hmmmmm.)

It's totally relevant - it's not a shocking betrayal if Vicious never really cared for Gren in the first place. After all, they were both mercenaries - men who fought for money, not for any shared country or religion. Independent agents who fight for who ever's offering the biggest paycheck.

We also don't know why Vicious was there in the first place. He could have been already been in the syndicate, and sent to the war by them. That would make Gren an outsider to Vicious, and using him would be fair game.

Gren was naive, and he got duped.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
The listing of Gendo is kind of odd. For the whole show, he's been shown blatantly to be lying to and deceiving Seele and doing something secretive (Kaji, Misato and Hyuga at various points are trying to uncover Gendo and Ritsuko's real purpose for Nerv, different from the stated "defeat the Angels" thing).

The listing of Gendo's ultimate goal as "creating the new human race with Rei" is also weird. He wants to reunite with Yui after she locked herself inside Eva-01. To extract her he needs the power of Lilith and Adam's Anti-AT Field. Aside from that, the only thing you know is that his version of Third Impact is less destructive than Seele's.

The betrayals in that scene are Ritsuko to Gendo, Naoko to Ritsuko and Rei to Gendo. Actually, Rei would be a great addition to that list: Gendo's puppet, who has served his orders time and time again, stating that she would kill herself if ordered to, rejecting the plans to which her entire three lives have been built because of the independence she's slowly gained over time.

I agree, especially on the whole "create the new human race" thing. I don't recall that being mentioned ever by Gendo or by anyone else for that matter. SEELE wanted to be the godhead of a single, collective consciousness of all the souls of humanity, and Gendo wanted to be reunited with Yui, period. There was no other motivation for Gendo. Does the author of the article have any references to confirm that this was ever their intention? Because if not, this article reeks of poor journalism.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Gonna bring up Naruto because it's such a fun little shonen story! - _~

Don't care how it's retconned; I still think Itachi killing his entire clan was a major betrayal. Also, I really like this ridiculous song parody: "I Killed My Clan and I Liked It" Wink

And for anyone up to date with the latest manga chapters, I'm sure they'll be a reasonable explanation that will explain it all away, but the only scene we get is very out of left field, so it counts to me as a major betrayal when we find out that spoiler[Kakashi killed Rin. WTF was that about?!]

Favorite Dragons: I voted for Haku because he's the first bishie I ever saw, and I was so sad when he turned out to be a dragon. Also, I keep thinking of Western animated dragons like Mushi from Mulan and Roku's dragon for A:TLA. Honorary vote goes to Iroh from A:TLA, because he was "The Dragon of the West"
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:

Love Filia. Try is my favorite season of Slayers. In the minority, I know. I don't much care for Next's throwaway villains and flatness halfway through like most people. Heh. The only thing Try is missing is Sylphiel, of whom I am a big fan.

I voted for Filia too and like Try the best too.

^5! There are so few of us. Haha. I think I understand why the majority of people like Next better but I just enjoy Try's atmosphere and major fights a lot more. And Valgaav is probably my favortie anime villain. Or one of them. I like Xellos a lot and thank Next for introducing him but... yeah. Next's final battle is awesome, too. But that's about all I really loved about Next.

Also, I'm one of those people who do not really care if something is canon or not. If it's good/entertaining, it doesn't matter. Eh.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Favourite dragon:
I picked Haku from Spirited Away, but I also liked Therru from Tales Of Earthsea, which wasn't on that list.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
I think I understand why the majority of people like Next better

Reasons NEXT might be my favorite, in order of importance: Episode 17, Xellos, spoiler[Lina calling upon The Lord of Nightmares.]

But there is that Filia and others in Try......
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
Heh, so people still remember Alice Miyuki-chan in Wonderland............
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Um, let me repeat myself...
" Wink "

it was not a serious suggestion to include Hatori. Just a story of me trying to remember what dragon I had seen in an anime recently, only to realize it wasn't one at all.

Unacceptable! DX
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Heh, so people still remember Alice Miyuki-chan in Wonderland............

I _might_ still have the manga pages pulled out of the Japanese Newtype magazine, and I know that I've still got the Newtype-sized manga volume. I think that I imported the LD when it came out, although I'd have to go digging through my shelves in order to be certain that memory's correct. I don't think that I'd have got rid of it, anyway...

Why wouldn't I remember CLAMP's "Alice"? ^^
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
I only saw the first ten episodes of Bebop but that really doesn't sound like a surprising betrayal. Apparently, it's what the show's known for, too bad the first ten had nothing to do with it. Also, apparently trusting a criminal named Vicious is a acceptable course of action? {It was how far he took it? So you could say he was vicious in his retribution? But wasn't he always Vicious? I really don't like this show and this naming concept isn't helping}

Code Geass? Betrayals all over the place, none more shocking that spoiler[Suzuka giving up on what Emphy followed in order to become the next Zero]. Ok, if that's too cerebral, spoiler[the Black Knights betraying the guy in the mask just because it turns he was a Britannia comes to mind. Hey, maybe they just thought the mask was for style].

What that doesn't work is the one that invokes the fable about the frog and the scorpion, only the scorpion has amnesia so it forgets its a scorpion? Even watching the show, I thought that entire plotline made no sense, about the same as most amnesia subplots.

Kyubey's bit wasn't a betrayal either. It's time to get over Madoka now, if you can't see the forest for the trees. {Ok, here's the hint: If he and his race was the problem, Madoka would have just wished them away. But she didn't, maybe because she thought what he was doing was worthwhile?}

No Solty Rei? How about the seemingly nice beauraucrat who spoiler[tells his subordinates they're fired by killing one of them first] getting a mention? And there's also spoiler[Rose Anderson's sudden betrayal too, well, after her sudden death ad sudden reppearance {which is to say, the known fugitive suddenly becomding part of the secret police}. And then there's the colony ship that's been trying to kill the last human colony for the entire show, you know, in order to protect the human race].

It's kind of a forgotten series, sadly.

[Mod Edit: Tagged the spoilers for you. - Keonyn]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
As is probably obvious from my avatar, WHERE'S Chibi!!!? Lol. As far as i'm concerned, he's the #1 dragon. I was in Japan for four months when that show first came out, studying at Senshu University. By chance, I was in a video game store and saw the tie in game and was interested because I'm a big fan of dragons. After I saw the first two episodes, I was hooked. Chibi is an awesome character, cute and extremely powerful, which generally go together well in anime. I absolutely loved the OP for Dragon Drive as well. The song was very catchy and combined with nice visuals, and the show did a great job of mixing 2d and 3d/CG drawing styles (the whole aspect of digitization via CG was kind of cool and Matrixy). I very much enjoyed the DD series, although it did pewter out a little towards the end.

Since Chibi wasn't on there, I had to chose Filia from Slayers. Slayers Try was my favorite of the first three seasons, and I thought Filia was a great addition to the team. She is a much more effective straight-man than Zelgadis, who I often found to be kind of dull. Filia is a more dynamic character, and I thought the writing used her whole dragon in human form gag to great effect, particularly the enhanced strength and appetite which made her a match for Lina.
PRationality

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
I can't believe no one mentioned Tokyo Babylon! I mean if spoiler[Seishirō murdering Hokuto after spending 7 volumes being egged on by her to sleep with her brother and also being their kindly best friend ] doesn't count as a betrayal...

And for that matter what about X? Wouldn't spoiler[Fuuma going from Best Friend Forever Protector and Best Big Brother Ever to crazy let me kill my adorable younger sister Kotori because it will mindscrew you Kamui...well that's not completely accurate I suppose since there's fate and stuff wrapped up in that and Fuuma in the manga is less sadistic and more 'I am trapped in this life you forced upon me Kamui so...thanks for that']

I'd also argue that being spoiler[handed over by an older clone version of yourself to be molested as you grew up to keep an oppresive and outdated 'religious' society in power] also takes the cake (in Fractale). I mean if you can't spoiler[trust yourself] who can you trust?
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
No Walter? Arrow
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised that Kyubei made the list. Although he was my first thought to come to mind but then I saw him on the list. Yeah he was a little bastard. There's nothing more creepy than a creature that looks harmless and then you find out what his true motive is. Sorry kids you'd have to ask a ton of questions, but the end results is one you make that choice... to quote the Bush Era drug issue, "Just Say NO".

Griffith definitely ranks high on the betrayal list mainly because he used everyone for his goal. And when it all went downhill his ideal of what it mean to use someone became "synonymous" with his actions entirely. It was the biggest "slap" in the face one couldn't of imagined.

I'd have to sit down hard to think of betrayal shows. Of the few I could think of are:

Rumbling Hearts: In a way you can't really call it betrayal because life does go on. But I put so much of the blame on one character's persistence because it caused a chain of events and then things happened afterward, and then closure. A several year old "finger to the face". Then folks moved on.

School Days: That was a mess. And even though things like this do happen from time to time trying to read into a person. Fragile minds can sometimes create drastic results.

My HiME: There was a lot of crap going on and so much paranoia and manipulation that made it easy to create betrayal as opposed to folks going all out and just doing it.

Utawarerumono: Remember Eruru's hometown friend? Well, we all know what happened to him. Worse in the game I read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9