• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Controversial Picture Book Returns to Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technomike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Black Entertainment Television channel hurts my feelings and sends me the message white people are inferior, but I don't see anyone shutting it down. If there was a whites only TV channel there'd be a riot.

Quote:
People need to stop trying to make everyone happy. I agree, a strong kudos to the japanese for rereleasing it. Blacks don't all ways have to be taken care of and kept happy all the time. They will at some point have to come to the understanding that they are not special and are not the worlds children that have to be kept happy.

All the above is very ignorant but a very typical thing to say.

Should we say KUDOS to Warner Bros for re-releasing racist cartoons that not only depict Blacks, but Asians drawn with big teeth and extremely stanted eyes as well as other people of color.

BET, Univision, ATN have one thing in common. They showcase people in their community. Why? They wouldn't otherwise have a voice in the mainstream. Example: Just look at the TV programs, magazines, etc...

Anyway, I don't think it was intentional, however it is racist. As an Asian American, we've always had a fascination with western culture. It's influenced fashion, books to animation, although I think we should focus more on our own, I digress...

TM

Last edited by technomike on Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
The pain of racism that exists in the USA isn't a worldwide phenomenon, so Japanese people should know about it without being held accountable for the same responsibilities white americans like myself have to correct the evils and inequities of the past.

That's exactly what I wanted to say. I think it's also hard for Europeans to imagine how the situation in the U.S. is/was concerning racism against black people.
For example we have something like a chocolate marshmallow called "Mohrenkopf" (translated "a black person's head") or also called "Negerkuss" (translated "kiss from a negro/[slur]"). I don't know if anyone would call sweets like that in America....?!
s_j

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
But the controversial illustrations postdate the story, and the story was published many times with many different sets of illustrations, so no one set of illustrations is an essential part of the work.

Really? My bad. Then that is actually quite a reasonable idea. Although I'd guess that whichever set of illustrations that accompanied the original Japanese release is an important part for those readers. I would still say that perhaps too much emphasis is placed on the visual aspects, and perceptions of overt racism read into it where none exists.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sambo came from Japan? wow, you learn something new every day.
s_j

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Doing a little digging after Aaron's post, it appears that the Japanese edition uses illustrations by Frank Dobias, created in 1927.

http://www.askart.com/Artist/D/frank_dobias.asp?ID=61395

Bigotry of the worst kind, combining the most flagrant and unrealistic stereotypes of googly eyes, fleshy lips, and ink-black skin tone? (Even though in the story, Sambo is Indian.)

Or the result of his blending of an almost postmodern illustrative sensibility with ethnic motifs using the restricted color palette of a cartoon?

Or perhaps both?

Personally, I'm not sure, I'd have to see more...but at least I can immediately see Dobias' illustrations are more palatable to Japanese aesthetics than Bannerman's originals.
Edo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
///

Last edited by Edo on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote
Edo wrote:
Little Black Sambo is Indian, not black.

That's right! But the problem is the old illustrations didn't match the author's intention; the illustrations made him a black characature(sp?) and it's that representation that stuck, along with the term "Sambo" as a racial epithet. So a disclaimer and illustrations that take the story back to its Indian roots could fix things. Or maybe keep him African, since that's what people expect, but show him in a more positive manner. As I've said, when I was a kid I though Sambo was cool. He's smart, clever, the hero of the story. It's only secondary things about the illustrations that turned poor Sambo into a tool of racism. Don't throw him out; save him!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why the illustrations are offensive - they're innacurate, yes, but not offensive. I think he's cute looking, like Hello Kitty or someting. ^_^; I've met black people that really almost are that dark, and there's nothing to be ashamed of in that. I think that people of afican descent are actually very beautiful, it's a unique aesthetic and they should be very proud of it. ^_^; Sorry, had to get that comment out of the way, I don't think these drawings are intended to be rascist, it's just a simplified cartoon. The total black ink is most likely because of limited color pallete and printing costs.

I believe I've heard this story before, among various folk tales and Arabian knights tales my grandmother would tell me as a kid, and I always admired the characters, and I believe the story has no rascist notion. 'Sambo' is a term that could have, at one time not been rascist, but was then turned into a racist statement by white interferrence. A perfect example of this is the Native American word 'sqaw' which used to be a polite way to address a female, a long time ago. White invasion changed the meaning for the worse, and now it's considered use very rude to use that word. It's very sad, really.

(edit) Yoinked off of dictionary.com, (I only copy and pasted, and don't approve of the 'n' word being used.) Granted it was the second definition on the page, still, this might explain why they're using the term for an Indian story:

\Sam"bo\, n. [Sp. zambo bandy-legged, the child of a negro and an Indian; prob. of African origin.] 1. A negro; sometimes, the offspring of a black person and a mulatto. [Colloq. or Humorous]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
technomike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
I don't see why the illustrations are offensive - they're innacurate, yes, but not offensive. I think he's cute looking, like Hello Kitty or someting. Anime smile; I've met black people that really almost are that dark, and there's nothing to be ashamed of in that. I think that people of afican descent are actually very beautiful, it's a unique aesthetic and they should be very proud of it. Anime smile; Sorry, had to get that comment out of the way, I don't think these drawings are intended to be rascist, it's just a simplified cartoon. The total black ink is most likely because of limited color pallete and printing costs.

I believe I've heard this story before, among various folk tales and Arabian knights tales my grandmother would tell me as a kid, and I always admired the characters, and I believe the story has no rascist notion. 'Sambo' is a term that could have, at one time not been rascist, but was then turned into a racist statement by white interferrence. A perfect example of this is the Native American word 'sqaw' which used to be a polite way to address a female, a long time ago. White invasion changed the meaning for the worse, and now it's considered use very rude to use that word. It's very sad, really.

It is because White interference that book exists. Back in the 1800s, Whites perceived Blacks to be that way. This was how whites imitated blacks by wearing blackface as a form of entertainment. By 1895, the Golliwog
was introduced based upon the white minstrels.

It doesn't have a thing to do with being proud or anything like that. That book dreads up old memories that were unpleasant to both Black and White people. Just as Icebox.com’s Mr. Wong dug up old unpleasant memories of Asian stereotypes.

I’ve heard people say, “I know Asians who look and act like that”. Of course they are going to be some stereotypes based on truth. However perceiving every race or creed or color to be a certain way, is a limit way of thinking. Therefore leads to
ignorance then breeds hostility equals hatred. This is how wars
begin...

Btw, someone already has a petition online. In addition, they also put up a very interesting what ifparody. Personally, I also think it's just as offensive, but I understand.

Food for thought...

TM
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Edo wrote:
Little Black Sambo is Indian, not black.

That's right! But the problem is the old illustrations didn't match the author's intention; the illustrations made him a black characature(sp?) and it's that representation that stuck, along with the term "Sambo" as a racial epithet. So a disclaimer and illustrations that take the story back to its Indian roots could fix things. Or maybe keep him African, since that's what people expect, but show him in a more positive manner. As I've said, when I was a kid I though Sambo was cool. He's smart, clever, the hero of the story. It's only secondary things about the illustrations that turned poor Sambo into a tool of racism. Don't throw him out; save him!

but then it would just offend Hindi people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2