• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Reveals PlayStation 4 Home Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
As much as we all want backwards compatibility, it's almost certainly not feasible. Emulation is horribly inefficient--emulating Gamecube and PS2 games on a PC was impossible for even the best gaming comp until recently, and it's still impossible to emulate PS360 games. The PS4 is probably just not powerful enough to emulate the PS3.

Hmm you can't really emulate ps2 games well since the bios was written in way to make it next to impossible. Even the most poweful pc's can not emulate Sega Saturn games again because how the system was designed/made. However you can emulate game-cube games with the dolphin emulator just fine. Now I know a-lot of people will hate me for this but most if not all ps3/360 games are on the pc "aside from quirky Japanese games of course" so there isn't a need for emulation. Hell most pc versions of said games look even better than their console counter-parts "fallout3/newvegas comes to mind"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Hmm you can't really emulate ps2 games well since the bios was written in way to make it next to impossible.

Works fine for me.

I still have my PS2 in the closet, but my launch PS3 that still had backward compatibility built in bricked, and I decided to see what my other options were. Not that I'm playing a ton of PS2 games, but every time I've tried it, they run perfectly fine.

Personally I think the backward compatibility thing is just a generic complaint that people harp on the minute any new device is announced, like it's part of some rulebook they have for talking about this stuff on the internet. Sony announces a new console with all these new features and ideas built in, let's talk about absolutely nothing but backward compatibility is the result.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Personally I think the backward compatibility thing is just a generic complaint that people harp on the minute any new device is announced, like it's part of some rulebook they have for talking about this stuff on the internet. Sony announces a new console with all these new features and ideas built in, let's talk about absolutely nothing but backward compatibility is the result.

Or it could be something that is actually really important to some people that significantly affects buying decisions.

Again, the other company's are doing it. Sony chooses not to, for whatever reason. That's their decision but it makes my decision about whether or not to buy the thing that much easier to make, since there are some PS3 games I am interested in playing right now. When there are actually some PS4 games that aren't on the Xbox 720, then maybe I'll pick one of those up, but it was backwards compatible I would probably skip the PS3 entirely and buy a PS4 a lot sooner than I may otherwise, assuming I buy it at all.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
You'd need a pretty beefy PC to run PS2 games well. I've got a system that can play Witcher 2 on medium, so while not great, its still above average, and I can't play any graphically intensive PS2 games at anything higher than 20 FPS.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Your figures are inaccurate. $300 B.O.M. would mean $500-550.

I can't agree to this. You're basing your figures on a retail price, not a wholesale price, or even one with low margins if Sony manufactures the chips themselves.

Gross purchases are always cheaper for companies, and we're talking millions of units.

Quote:
Sony CANNOT afford any losses on consoles, pricing it at $400 would cause a serious risk for Sony.

This will depend on software. Except for Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony can "afford" to lose money on the hardware provided the software titles are there.

The PS2 had this, which is why it's the most successful console ever made. Sony can recapture this but only if they have a break-in market console and the games, which the PS3 did not have because it was an entirely new system.

I don't disagree Sony has a risk here, but if they play their cards right, they may be able to retain their former glory.

If they do release a $500 console, it should come with two controllers, a game (maybe two), and any extra peripherals needed for a multi gamer household.

Quote:
$600 would be the safest bet with no losses. But Sony would HAVE to be lucky to to get it at $500-550.

That's too much for a PC clone that's about 2 years behind the curve. There's nothing revolutionary about this console. All it has is a beefed up video processor and a few gigs of RAM.

$399, even if it's at a small loss, will be offset by software and if the article is boasting about developers (coming back), then it should be just fine.

Quote:
BTW, the Australian place holder price is at $950 AUD, if it holds together, PS4 will retail for around $550-600.(Wii U's was $599 but the console was still over a year away from launch, PS4 is not.)

Proof it's not always wise to put stock on placeholders. Wink

I do know this: Microsoft is releasing two consoles and one if them will be $299. It's more of a Roku-like box than an actual game console, and it's targeting entertainment, not gaming. The gaming console is rumored to be $100 more, putting it at $399.

However, MS hasn't released any details about the controller with the system, which could affect the price.

Rumors are fun things. Can you imagine a controller that's capable of knowing its x, y, and z location? Heh. If this turns out to be true, this might be a little interesting.

(the only way I can figure the controller can do this is with Kinect 2)

Well, we'll all know soon enough. E3 is right around the corner.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Hmm you can't really emulate ps2 games well since the bios was written in way to make it next to impossible. Even the most poweful pc's can not emulate Sega Saturn games again because how the system was designed/made. However you can emulate game-cube games with the dolphin emulator just fine. Now I know a-lot of people will hate me for this but most if not all ps3/360 games are on the pc "aside from quirky Japanese games of course" so there isn't a need for emulation. Hell most pc versions of said games look even better than their console counter-parts "fallout3/newvegas comes to mind"

Like everyone else is saying, check again. I emulate PS2 games no problem on my PC which isn't that powerful, just enough to do some nice graphic work with photoshop/corel painter. I play the crap out of some PS2/PSP emulation. And with my xbox controller to boot. It's some PSP emulation I have a problems with, but after a few settings tweaks it's all good.

Damn do I love that Xbox controller.

The price estimates I've seen so far don't put the PS4 at less than 500 on release, maybe even 600. Fat chance I'm buying it until it goes way down... but I still at this point I rather buy the new xbox.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

The price estimates I've seen so far don't put the PS4 at less than 500 on release, maybe even 600. Fat chance I'm buying it until it goes way down... but I still at this point I rather buy the new xbox.

It's been speculated about in many different places that this console generation might be subsidized in the same way celphones are (think $350 at launch for the high-end model with a 3-year service contract for the premium online service, PS+, or $599 without the contract).

I mean, that seems pretty damn likely to me. Also something I'd wind up going for given the chance.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I don't want to even think about having to sign some contract for online service in order to get a cheaper system. I had xbox live for a good year and discovered I just don't play the online portion of the games I have enough to warrant the 12 bucks a month they charged. If I want to play a game online, I'll stick to PC games.

Besides, when you are currently living paycheck to paycheck, the last thing you need is another monthly fee to make that even smaller. I'd hate to think about the penalty fee for getting out of it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Here's a good read Catsevetiger, most of your questions have already been answered with good news Smile: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-big-interview-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4

Some of the answers from the interview:

Catseyetiger wrote:
Things they did NOT talk about that I wanted to know about were will the PS4 allow a used game market?

Yes. They announced this afterward in interviews that PS4 will allow used games.

Catseyetiger wrote:
the other things NOT talked about that I wanted to know is will it always have to be online to work like the new XBOX.

No, you do not need to be always online, you can use the PS4 completely offline if you want, you just won't take advantage of the network features while you're offline if you choose to do that.

Catseyetiger wrote:
these two things were the most important none talked about bits of the whole show for a real gamer!

The whole GDDR 5 memory at 8GB means it will be strong graphic wise but games today never touched the old specs to start with.

also will it use blue-ray format?

Exclusive games, such as Sony's first party games or 2nd party collaborations will use all of that, just like many of these games maxed out the PS3's specs like Naughty Dog's games and Sony Santa Monica's games or Guerilla's games etc.

Yup, it's been confirmed it'll have a blu-ray drive.

enurtsol wrote:
Anyways, here's an interesting different take on the next console wars:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-15-playstation-4-must-demolish-the-walled-garden

• Sony's next-gen strategy needs to rethink the business model, not the hardware specifications

It's a testament to how much the games business has changed in the past decade, however, that despite having information about hardware specifications and controller design, we really know nothing about Sony's plans. We know what will be in the box, but never has that been so unimportant. Nobody sane doubts Sony's ability to competently construct a box that sits under a television and plays games that look nicer than the ones we've got now (and similarly nice to the ones that will be played on Microsoft's rival under-telly-box).

I'm not talking about turning PlayStation 4 into a great platform to play Angry Birds on, or stepping up to the pointless war against tablets and mobile phones that exists only in the heads of enraged internet comment posters. I'm talking about engaging with the fact that right now, as a developer working on a great new idea, you can go out and find hundreds of thousands of dollars to invest in bringing your game to market on a console - a process which will probably also strip you of ownership of your IP and of creative control of the game itself, let alone its marketing and so on - or you can release it on tablets, smartphones and PCs for a cost as close to zero as makes no odds. This isn't about Angry Birds any more; it's about Minecraft, or Thomas Was Alone, or The Room, or Dear Esther, or New Star Soccer, or Proteus, or FTL. The problem consoles face in the next generation isn't that people are playing simple casual games on phones - it's that developers of complex, interesting and engrossing games are bringing them to phones, tablets and PCs rather than jumping through the ludicrous hoops it takes to get a game onto a console.

Consoles are, ultimately, the AAA platform. They're the platform where expensively developed games with high production values are sold at a high cost to consumers who care deeply about the pastime and are willing to devote significant disposable income to it. That's fine, and it's a lucrative corner of the industry - but it's not enough. Consoles cannot just be a playground for publishers with millions to spend, because that's not where game development is headed, as an industry. Where the indie developers have blazed a trail, more established firms are now following - recognising that, at long last, they have an option other than prostrating themselves at the gates of the platform holders' walled gardens.

Sony actually addressed this in the interviews after the event, and seem to be currently the most open of the big 3 to idie developers. They are apparently allowing indies to self-publish (they probably need to meet at least some requirements ofcouse?).

Totally looking forward to PS4.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7