• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-ON! is 1st TV Anime Franchise to Sell 500,000+ BDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Quantity over quality?

For this generation of anime? Absolutely.

K-ON is on the short list of shows that represent trends in anime over the past decade. Refined almost to a perfection at what it does best.
But you think "it does best" isn't good in and of itself. Confused
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I don't see why everyone hates on moe. It's just another genre. It' the mentality of rejecting such genres along with drama, romance, school-life, and other similar genres that prevent anime from growing any further here. Moe is what made this past decade actually worth watching, especially between 2000 and 2006.

@egoist: loving the avatar. Sora = <3
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Despite the degradation of the term "moe" into being nearly meaningless, I don't see how you can call it a genre. Any genre can contain/inspire moe (depending on what your definition of the word is). Sci-fi, slice of life, romantic comedy, drama can all be/inspire moe. Eva's Rei is considered by many to be one of the archetypical moe characters - is Eva in the same genre in K-ON!?

If you use the original definition of moe as a protective feeling towards a character, it's not a genre.

If you consider certain character types to be moe and would consider shows such as K-ON! moe, it's still not a genre.

If you just use it synonymously with "cute," it's still not a genre, unless if cute is now a genre in and of itself.

Moe is as much a genre as "anime" is a genre.
GracieMarie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote
The 9th Volume of K-ON!! will have 3 episodes, which is the 2 exrta episodes and the sidestory one. Can't wait when the sidestory episode comes out! Very Happy
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
To be honest, I don't see why everyone hates on moe. It's just another genre. It' the mentality of rejecting such genres along with drama, romance, school-life, and other similar genres that prevent anime from growing any further here. Moe is what made this past decade actually worth watching, especially between 2000 and 2006.

@egoist: loving the avatar. Sora = <3

Moe isn't the problem, the problem is that frequently there's no substance to moe. You can make a dynamic thought provoking story with moe, anyone whose read the Negima manga can see that, but frequently they do nothing with it. Instead of having the story, or dialogue be the reason why you watch the series instead it's because the fans find the character design's pleasing.

This leads to things like Endless Eight where Kyoto Animation doesn't even care about crafting anything actually new.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
You can make a dynamic thought provoking story with moe, anyone whose read the Negima manga can see that, but frequently they do nothing with it. Instead of having the story, or dialogue be the reason why you watch the series instead it's because the fans find the character design's pleasing.

I think I'm just weird enough to enjoy anime that have good stories, and enjoy shows where nothing really happens at all. The character interactions are the "substance" for me in the latter types of shows. (I'd have no problem renaming K-ON! "Character Interactions - The Anime")
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Quantity over quality?

For this generation of anime? Absolutely.

K-ON is on the short list of shows that represent trends in anime over the past decade. Refined almost to a perfection at what it does best.

Satoshi Kon is dead and K-on sell 500000 BDs. Life sucks
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Moe is what made this past decade actually worth watching, especially between 2000 and 2006.
Like hell. I like plenty of shows during that time period, but most of them don't have much of anything to do with moe. And even in the ones that do have moe elements, moe, by no means, makes the show.

Just putting this out there, I don't hate moe with a burning passion like some people.

Joichiro Nishi wrote:
Satoshi Kon is dead and K-on sell 500000 BDs. Life sucks
Crying or Very sad
XXghostface

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Suck that we people in the west get K-ON and we still don't have Bakemonogatari I personally think that the better show.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
blu-ray normally gives you better audio too if you have good home home theater systems.

This. More people need to realize that Blu-ray enhances the whole experience, not just the visual part.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I pity people who have 'taste'. They seem to spend more time raging and complaining about how life sucks than actually watching anime. Meanwhile, other people can watch and love K-ON and enjoy it and have fun with it's numerous other fans and be happy. 'Taste' seems really boring and overrated. K-ON? Sure, I'll watch it. Azumaga Daioh? Bring it on. Lucky Star? Sure, why not. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? Don't mind if I do! Wink
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
I pity people who have 'taste'. They seem to spend more time raging and complaining about how life sucks than actually watching anime. Meanwhile, other people can watch and love K-ON and enjoy it and have fun with it's numerous other fans and be happy. 'Taste' seems really boring and overrated. K-ON? Sure, I'll watch it. Azumaga Daioh? Bring it on. Lucky Star? Sure, why not. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? Don't mind if I do! Wink

It does suck to have "taste". I've tried to get rid of mine but still haven't managed to yet. It will slowly devour your soul until there is nothing left but hatred and sorrow.
superunature

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
lol and I bought
8/520,000
of those blu-rays sold.
and looks to be about 9/560,000~ next month Razz
certainly isn't cheap.
Doesn't really matter who gets top top, or who sold more volume.
There is going to be arguments of "k-on merchandise sells better" or "this sold more per volume" etc.
There is going to be fans of every show, there is going to be people disliking the show.
all a personal preference. There are shows I don't like that are extremely popular, like "One Piece". how each manga volume sells millions of copies, I have no idea. but there are fans, and they are entitled to like the franchaise.
I bought the k-on blu-rays only for the tapestry, otherwise, heck would I be spending $80 per volume on a few stickers and episodes that I could easily BT. Honestly....I don't even have a blu-ray player.
----------------------------------
As for Bandai release, I don't think it would do well. I heard official chinese dub, and english dub. and both sounds rather terrible. and what is on disk release generally gets uploaded to the internet the same day. and collectors (Like me) generally only goes for the original. (Unless of course, low-budget collectors who wants to own it but not pay the high price)
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
[post deleted].....
oh never mind, since I must not have "taste" I have no comment, so I will just say, I enjoyed K-On, and hope to enjoy it more and more, once I get it on blu-ray

Last edited by mudduck454 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
I hope that wasn't a serious statement, 'because if it was, then it was total bull. I have "taste," and the anime life is great for me. Just because we don't like some random moe show doesn't mean our anime is devoid of life and greatness. Tch, I'd say it's the other way around to an extent, but that's just me. Laughing

And for the record, I love Azumanga Daioh. Razz Haven't gotten around to buying that one yet, though. :/

pajmo9 wrote:
It does suck to have "taste". I've tried to get rid of mine but still haven't managed to yet. It will slowly devour your soul until there is nothing left but hatred and sorrow.
Speak for yourself, bro. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6