• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Time to Make the Doughnuts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I really should try watching Rurouni Kenshin...again...in Japanese...for once. I saw the live-action and the first 6 episodes (Media Blasters dub not the 'other one') but I'm avoiding the New Kyoto Arc. Sounds like a waste of money to condense the series in an OVA even if it was to promote the film.

Yeah, I was looking forward to the Swimming anime (what a tease =///=) but at least the fandom has plenty of FFs to last me for awhile.

*q* I wished I knew someone in California; those fruit filled doughnuts Justin mentioned sound heavenly~
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I was of Penguin Drum. near the beginning of the show but slowly declined in the second half . They tried to shove in way much plot on top of other parts and it just fell apart at the end. It spoiled the whole thing, with that. Too bad too because it was great but it was just way too condensed and tried to do too much. It needed more episodes to explain everything, it came together quite badly.

That Kenshin dub sounds horrid I never watched the English version, a reminder why i never did.

jsevakis wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

You...you do realize that paleo dieting, and basically all dieting, it pure pseudoscience that doesn't work, right?

Justin, I would expect a man of your intelligence to not be conned by woo.

Thanks for your Internet condescension and bullshit Wikipedia link, but the 55 lbs of fat I lost last year, plus the inch of gut diameter I've lost in the 3 weeks since this diet began, are all the proof I need of how ignorant I'm being.

Wow that is amazing that you lost that much. I managed to lose some weight too, about 10 pounds or so for the year. Keep up the awesome work!
blacotaku1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Darn. I sent questions via email and they did not get asked. Oh well, maybe next time.

Great show. I really love these kind of shows.
Cativo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
PseudoFiction wrote:
So why is Justin dieting?

'Cause I'm THIIIIIS close to having a 6-pack and I have a bet going with EJ at Aniplex that we can get one before Otakon. Very Happy

Hi Justin! Love the show, congrats on the weight loss...I have a hard time loosing weight...sugar is my worst enemy! Best of luck on the 6-pack! Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Kenshin is a tough character to get right in English, like Son Goku. They're both voiced by women in Japanese and they both have strange speech patterns (Goku's is a more hickish, backwoods type of speech, which Nozawa does quite well).

Hey, Streets of Fire is neat. Willem Dafoe wouldn't be a villain in a bad movie, would he? Hm, nevermind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:30 am Reply with quote
Christ, that Kenshin dub sounds dire. It's not the 90s anymore, can Sentai summon the tiniest ounce of givvadamn on their stuff these days? Anime dazed I'm really REALLY wishing at this point they would release their titles sub-only just so no one will be snookered into listening to the awful things and turned off to what could be good material.(Though in this case, it sounds like the material itself was horrific too.) Still: terrible dubs are really not newbie-conducive. Stop making sooooo many of them, Sentai. Stooooooooop.

..."Oro..." Criminy. X_X
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:10 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Christ, that Kenshin dub sounds dire. It's not the 90s anymore, can Sentai summon the tiniest ounce of givvadamn on their stuff these days? Anime dazed I'm really REALLY wishing at this point they would release their titles sub-only just so no one will be snookered into listening to the awful things and turned off to what could be good material.(Though in this case, it sounds like the material itself was horrific too.) Still: terrible dubs are really not newbie-conducive. Stop making sooooo many of them, Sentai. Stooooooooop.

..."Oro..." Criminy. X_X

Then they'd just have people complaining "well, it doesn't have a dub, so I'm not buying it". So I guess Sentai puts out a crappy dub to appease those people.

But at this point it seems like Sentai treats a dub like a tacked on feature. Where they're not putting much effort into it because they're busy pushing so much anime out the door.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

..."Oro..." Criminy. X_X

In Sentai's defense that anime was basically the equivalent of a game based off of a movie were the main purpose is to create slightly more hype for the movie while hopefully making money. It didn't add a single interesting idea while basically just going through the motions. Would it have mattered if Steve Blum did an amazing performance while talking about how the heat from his penis will burn down the Meji government?

There really isnt a lot you can do with a Kenshin anime outside of either finally animating the final arc of Kenshin or just remaking all of Kenshin because Furuhashi really cant make anything interesting without the source material. If they do make another Kenshin anime I hope they finally ditch Furuhashi.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
^
There's still professional pride. If you're going to appear in a role then at least give it a good shot.

tangytangerine wrote:
But at this point it seems like Sentai treats a dub like a tacked on feature. Where they're not putting much effort into it because they're busy pushing so much anime out the door.

I'm not sure if this is correct but it is very plausible. I've always thought that Sentai was biting off more than it could chew with all the many, many titles it licenses.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

In Sentai's defense that anime was basically the equivalent of a game based off of a movie were the main purpose is to create slightly more hype for the movie while hopefully making money. It didn't add a single interesting idea while basically just going through the motions. Would it have mattered if Steve Blum did an amazing performance while talking about how the heat from his penis will burn down the Meji government?

Well, no. (Although I am of the opinion you should try to bring your best to whatever creative project you work on, it's healthy for your reputation, your self-esteem, and the work itself. If it's a crappy anime, you can potentially *improve* it with a heartful dub, and hey, that's a nifty experience.) I'm not really weeping over this release's dub specifically.

This is not a one-case thing, that's the problem. I have heard about one dub in ten from Sentai that wasn't hilariously bad, and that's just hearsay from crowdsourcing people whose opinions I can gauge, so I don't really know, maybe ten out of ten are lame. To my picky but hoping-for-the-best ears, their output is so sloppy it astounds me. There's a difference between "this is kinda incompetent, but I guess they tried" (the aforementioned Media Blasters Kenshin dub,) and "there was clearly no thought put into this, the people paid to put an english track on this are disdainful and apathetic toward the material and the fans and you can actively HEAR it."

Sorry, I'm just incredibly frustrated with how bad Sentai's recent dubs have been. Some of them are early 90s bad, if not in the mix (although there are some crappy mixes from them too,) but just the writing and acting (which is to say direction. I don't blame the voice actors 95% of the time.) If you're going to dub something, then dub it with at least a Bang Zoom level of effort. (Bang Zoom has turned out quite a few turkeys, but with rare exception, I can count on them to be "okay." I know someone somewhere in there cared, even if they were probably rushed or made some poor decisions.) I don't expect every dub on every show to be amazing, I just don't want to sit through multiple ones that sound like they're blowing raspberries in my face and flaunting their sloth in my ears.

EDIT: Guh. The title of this podcast is appropriate. I have a very "Time to make the doughnuts" relationship with sudden need to bitch about Sentai's egregious dubbery.

~Time to bitch about a Sentai dub~! >=(

[exhausted]~I bitched about a Sentai dub...~[/exhausted] ;A;

Last edited by JacobC on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:52 am; edited 5 times in total
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
the problem with kenshin is it is no longer kenshin.

all the fun of the first season is gone

to put it bluntly, most artists are emo. they like the dark stuff, and there are lots of people out there that like it too. So they want to make a darker anime.

but the reality is most of those people who like the dark stuff dont actually pay for their dark stuff. what does sell? ecchi sells, sad but true. fruits baskets also sells, but that show is made out of cotton candy and sweets carried on the backs of unicorns.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:57 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, no. (Although I am of the opinion you should try to bring your best to whatever creative project you work on, it's healthy for your reputation, your self-esteem, and the work itself. If it's a crappy anime, you can potentially *improve* it with a heartful dub, and hey, that's a nifty experience.) I'm not really weeping over this release's dub specifically.

This is not a one-case thing, that's the problem. I have heard about one dub in ten from Sentai that wasn't hilariously bad, and that's just hearsay, so I don't really know. To my picky but hoping-for-the-best ears, their output is so sloppy it astounds me. There's a difference between "this is kinda incompetent, but I guess they tried" (the aforementioned Media Blasters Kenshin dub,) and "there was clearly no thought put into this, the people paid to put an english track on this are disdainful and apathetic toward the material and the fans and you can actively HEAR it."

Sorry, I'm just incredibly frustrated with how bad Sentai's recent dubs have been. Some of them are early 90s bad, if not in the mix (although there are some crappy mixes from them too,) but just the writing and acting (which is to say direction. I don't blame the voice actors 95% of the time.)

I think everyone who loves dubs are frustrated by Sentai's recent dubs. I mean ADV was always iffy on dubs but its pretty clear that Sentai is just doing them as cheaply as possible just so they can say they had a dub. Its just that I cant really get mad in this situation.

As for the quality of the dubs itself I would probably put some of these dubs as being compared to some guys fandub . I mean are we really going to insult the Teknoman dub of Tekkaman Blade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bS765funp0

Sentai wishes they could make an opening that cool.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
'Cause I'm THIIIIIS close to having a 6-pack and I have a bet going with EJ at Aniplex that we can get one before Otakon. Very Happy

It's a lifestyle thing with my Crossfit gym called Whole Life Challenge. No grains, no starch, no soy, no sugar, no juice, no alcohol, no weird chemical ingredients for 8 weeks, plus you have to exercise and stretch for at least 10 min a day. But I normally eat somewhat paleo under normal circumstances and do Crossfit 5-6 days a week anyway. Between diet and exercise I lost 55 lbs last year, and now I want to go that extra mile.

So.... shirtless cosplay then?
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
100% agree with the sentiment on fujoshi anime. They deserve to be entertained too, and it's both immature and incredibly arrogant to expect anime to cater to a single fanbase.

However, if all that's the case, Zac, why are you not railing just as hard against people like this, who obviously share the same sentiment as some otaku share toward fujoshi anime, but directed at moé instead?

I agree that there's a lot of hostility coming toward fujoshi and fujoshi-catering anime from segments of the moé fandom, but I feel like there's just as much hostility coming toward moé and moé fans from segments of the rest of the Western fanbase.

So, why no mention of it?
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm a lil disappointed in the moe fans who are being so mean to the fangirls, to be honest... I always assumed that the boys who are all moe-moe for the cuties in stuff like Dog Days and Idolm@ster would WELCOME the girls who are all moe-moe for the cuties in Starry Sky and Amnesia, and that they could all bond over mutual moe-moe, and go on adorable double-dates with their waifus and husbandos and stuff! But now my dreams are shattered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8