• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JAST USA Adds School Days HQ Visual Novel Software

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
Karisu wrote:
Wow, this is unexpected but amazing news. First Catherine gets announced by Atlus for North America and now School Days! Could this week get any better?

An announcement of an official English translation of Clannad VN would make it better Smile

Yes, please.

Tomoyo as well.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

This is the equivalent of an official company working with a known scanlation or fansub group on an official manga or anime release.

No its not. VN fan-translations are distributed as patches that do not work without the game with the understanding being that the user is supposed to go buy the Japanese release. Fansubs and scanlations include a pirate copy of the entire Japanese work. That's a pretty huge difference.

As for the talk about VAs, no one dubs VNs, certainly not JAST . its too much work for such a small niche.

Why do people want the anime of School Days over the game? ANN's article doesn't make this clear but the game is entirely animated. It's not the usual cut-out sprites so the anime version doesn't have any real advantages over the original.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
Assuming the price isn't something insane, I'll be buying this for sure.

Hopefully it's way better than some clips I watched from Summer Days on YouTube. The animation was acceptably meh (although not even at the level of a motion comic) but the real burn was that every scene dragged on forever. Something that might have taken up 1 minute in an anime was like dragged out to like 7 minutes.

NJ_ wrote:
If only this was news about the anime getting licensed. Crying or Very sad

Yeah, that super sucks. Especially when some French company licensed it and put out a box set.
Ringking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
^ I dont suppose that french company took the liberty to put English subs on it as a secondary option by any chance? Always bugs me that movies get lots of sub-languages but anime dosent.

But anywho, if you've got the game its not like you even need the anime. Just the regular edition is like 8GB in size because the whole thing is fully animated, so it feels like your watching the anime anyways.

If you chose the right choice sequence, you would probably end up getting the same experience.

But anyway, this news is awesome. Its nice to see that the companies who license VN's are starting to acquire more of the good ones and less of the crap that they have always had. With any luck, they will be moving to KEY games next. Since they're well known and all, i think they would sell nicely (No chance for LB:ex or Kud Wafter though Razz)

Last edited by Ringking on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
Why do people want the anime of School Days over the game? ANN's article doesn't make this clear but the game is entirely animated. It's not the usual cut-out sprites so the anime version doesn't have any real advantages over the original.

I'm not against the game getting released here at all. As a matter of fact i'll be buying it when it's out now that i know some of the details. The only reason i brought up the anime was because i've been hoping that it would get licensed for a while now ever since i watched and enjoyed all of it on Crunchyroll a year ago. It's not a bad thing to want to own a physical, subbed and (perhaps) uncensored copy of the anime is it?
prabb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
This, along with the news of Sadamoto returning to Eva, makes my day! It makes my week even! And I'm guessing Koihime Musou finally got released? AMAZING. I know what I'm blowing my money on when payday comes up!

Would anybody care to fill me in on Cross Days and Summer Days? Do they have possible bad ends as well?
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
All aboard the Yandere love triangle!

Given the choice between a Yandere girl and a Tsundere girl, I'd choose Taiga, Louise and Shana any day of the week. Long live the Rie Kugimiya trifecta!

Still, I'd like to try the game at some point Wink .
Nightmare7even

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Great news I liked the series I always thought it was delightfully twisted. I'll definitely keep an eye out for a release date.
Is it avaliable for pre order yet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3