• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Standards and Practicing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
It seems that nobody reads previous posters.
Myaow wrote:
We're all kind of overlooking the fact that Japan ALSO goes in for the really exaggerated, simple "fifth-grader drawing" cartoon designs, especially in kids' shows: Crayon Shin-chan is a good example, plus stuff like Anpanman, Chibi Maruko-chan, Hana Kappa, Tamagotchi!, etc. Every new season, there's one or two shows with super simple character designs (like this season's Monchicchis, next season's Boku wa Ousama.) I think that it's much more useful to compare fun silly USA shows like Adventure Time or Gumball to these series than to serious action shounen titles, which are usually trying to do something totally different than your Woosers or Gravity Fallses are.

From recent examples I can add Chi's sweet home and not even mention various 80s kid shows.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:
@Ryo You're right to a degree, since Batman is a very dark/rough series, which need more rough to it, but smooth animation, which doesn't make Mr Game and Watch facepalm at you can immerse you in a world. Studio Ghibli anime, Akira, GITS 1995 and maybe Hosoda stuff seem to be the only anime, which gets it right to a level, but I expect no less of Ghibli, since it's obvious they are heavily influenced by Disney.

What I really meant is that the timing was too even. I don't see how Ghibli is any heavier influenced by Disney than any other anime studio. Ghibli movies also lack lip synch and they aren't always animated on ones or even twos. Even though Miyazaki has recommended The Old Mill for his animation for reference as far as effects animation goes, he has also spoken against heavy use of live-action reference, which Disney used especially for human characters.
rojse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Well you didn't ask me ,but I would suggest watching movie called Alois Nebel.It is brilliant film,that relies heavily on atmosphere.There is also A Cat in Paris quite charming film,The Triplets of Belleville with very unique animation,Renaissance which was not received well for some reason but I love it to death and Technotise: Edit & I a cool cyberpunk story.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:

I'm not expert but I'd recommend Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist and Roman Kachanov's Cheburashka shorts and The Mystery of the Third Planet feature.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Myaow wrote:
Of course, then you'll ask, "well, DOES the US have an equivalent to something like One Piece, visually and narratively?" I would point you to recent action 'toons like Motorcity (my favorite!), Tron: Uprising, Green Lantern The Animated Series and Sym-Bionic Titan... but pretty much all of them were cancelled! Nooo! ;~; I guess audiences here just weren't ready for all that adrenaline.

What about Avatar: The Last Airbender?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5