• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Date A Live (TV) (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Transfer students just keep pouring in.
Kurumi is an interesting one.
Shido is totally like a character in a visual novel.
Too many girls just means more trouble for him.
Mana, the imouto surprise added a nice twist to the plot.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Let me guess: The entire rest of the series Shido is gonna get torn between the spirits and romantic dramedy will ensue even though he could just stop this by saying "Yo, I gotta be a baller or everyone's dead, capiche?".

I don't think that's an option. The girls are either monsters or military; They don't seem to care about the "dead" aspect.

As this point in the series, I think all the girls have a kill count except for the crazy stalker military nut.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I like this new spirit. she seems like a lot of fun.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
He almost pulled off the dating 3 girls at the same time feat. But the new spirit ruined it by going all Yuno Gasai on the 4 guys. He gets spoiler[saved by his imouto].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Wow he was forced into something really hard, and incredibly douchey: spoiler[going on a date with 3 girls at once]. He actually almost pulled it off, if spoiler[running off complaining of stomach problems most of the time is a successful date], and then two spoiler[of them met each other while the third was eating a bunch of punks]. I do have to praise the soundtrack again as I found it rather nice, especially around 15:04 to 16:52 where there was an especially nice song, I will hope to find a copy of that.

The three girls (with the girl that says "gross") had a larger part in this episode. I liked seeing them have a somewhat helping role with Tohka, but then spoiler[with the problem with Kurumi plan, and then them captured by Yoshino's cuteness]. Also like to bring up that they just decided to go all out on the spoiler[Kurumi plan with regards to ecchi], no matter how awkward it is for poor Shido. Those stares. Laughing

I got an especial laugh at the OP doing its usual big deal and serious voice, but being from a woman on the spoiler[joy of a multiple person date] was funny. And I can't hate Kurumi for spoiler[killing those dudes over a kitten], I need more.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote
So Shido's new target is spoiler[Kurumi.]
His mission keeps hurting the girls around him.
Maybe it's about time he picked one...
I'm kinda rooting for Tohka, but Origami is a good choice too.
Looks like one of those three will get hurt.
Shido deserves to get a beating from all of them.
It's not nice leading girls on.
Shido stumbled upon a spoiler[horrible sight.
At least he's seen Kurumi's true colors now.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:50 am Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
His mission keeps hurting the girls around him.
Maybe it's about time he picked one...[/spoiler]

Unfortuantly it does not look like they will let him, at least not until he has caught them all. And he is pretty much being made to bring a yandere in.

Actually do the gals in his harem even make for a good future. He has a yandare, a stalker, and a girl who causes a lot of collateral damage when she gets jealous. The only one who might not cause chaos is Yoshino, although she does seem to occasionally tease Tohka, and there is what happened when she lost her puppet.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:

I'm kinda rooting for Tohka, but Origami is a good choice too.
Looks like one of those three will get hurt.
Shido deserves to get a beating from all of them.
It's not nice leading girls on.

I think you're missing the point of what he has to do as he's stuck in a never ending dating game where you can collect all the flags and events you want but once you get the girl, it's "Game Over" for the entire world. So to keep playing, he's forced to juggle affections against one another without showing favoritism in mixed company.

Like what episode 8 was but with less "teleportation". {Ok, they showed what happens when you mix Star Trek with Three's Company. What's next, Arrested Development and Lost? Oh, wait...Yeah.} Just he would have to do it for the rest of his life.

Episode 8 was good {"What kind of fish?!"; The pigeons! "No, I wasn't waiting long." "She's so cute, it's lame!"} but no where near as funny as 7.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:11 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The pigeons! "No, I wasn't waiting long."

I forgot to mention that bit where they subtly put pigeons spoiler[on Origami say that she had despite what she said, been there long and still enough until the pigeons thought she was a statue].
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
ok, not so sure I like the new girl now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Looks like Kurumi can spoiler[use various versions of herself, so when one dies, one from an earlier time or something takes its place. Using it costs her "time" which she can feed off of other people]. Seems to me that her core she became so spoiler[scared that she is irredeemable that she has turned herself into a monster]. It did look like Shidou spoiler[broke through her shell, but right before end game an earlier version of Kurumi killed her thinking she was naïve, she won't be easy to befriend as an older/scarier/scared one sabotages it]. In some respects I would like that she could be just irredeemable character he can't haremize, but I just can't hate the character. The avatar stays on.

But still the best part of the episode was definitely spoiler[the end], when everything looked hopeless, the spoiler[space quake expanded was suddenly halted, and in the air was Kotori. Kotori is a spirit,] and I am so happy I did not see any spoilers for that reveal. To spoiler[match her fiery hair and personality she is of course surrounded by flames. It to have some explanation of how she knew Shidou was special, and how she is so boss, it also seemed to imply that she was in fact the Spirit responsible for the death of Origami's parents.]

Also the fansubs were horrible, the only one I could find had awful grammar, and subtitles missing at various moments. Although I feel kind of happy that I actually could get the gist of what was happening despite that. I might re-watch the episode when there is a better version out.

Every so often I am internally yelling at characters for missing key phrases that could solve a lot of trouble, and here it was that he should have called her out on being so afraid that she had to make him think she was a monster. Rather than keep ordering her around.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the fansub I watched for eppie 9 was so hideous that I will rewatch it on Funi when it becomes available. Note to fansubbers: if you aren't fluent in English, go screw yourself.*

*Yes, I am vaguely aware of complaining about fansub quality for a show that is being legitimately streamed is not really kosher - SO SUE ME, MMMKAY???
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
my question is why watch the piss poor quality that is a nico nico stream and not just wait for a better quality version?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Kurumi's dress feels like it's on backwards.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I watched the Nico one that came out today. The bad one was released by Raizu sub.

Yttrbio wrote:
Kurumi's dress feels like it's on backwards.

The big bow should be on the back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12