• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Pacifist Punch!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Number Six

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:12 am Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:

Aquatic life has also had to evolve motion that deals with 3 dimensions and severely reduced physical resistance (i.e, there is no ground to push off of or stop them falling). It shouldnt take much thinking to see how nature's solutions to these problems might be applicable to space travel.

While there may be no ground, aquatic life still "pushes off" on water. Also, all aquatic life that is self propelled is streamlined to better handle the resistance water gives to movement. No need for this in space. In space there is nothing to push against, so terrestrial modes of movement, even in water, just don't apply. There is no up or down in space. Even in water, gravity makes itself felt. Note that fish have "tops" and "bottoms". There is nothing wrong with having spaceships that are modelled after marine life. But movement in space won't be any easier due to that alone.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
One show that did a rather good job with mecha was Patlabor. The machines are just part of the program, the focus is on the characters including the mechanics who constantly have to maintain and repair the equipment.

There is also discussion of the AI software that changes its responses over time on the patterns created by different pilots. For this reason you see people remove their pattern discs and make back ups.

As for the legs in space they do have thrusters in those feet so bending a knee adds interesting options in direction change.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
tiredgamer wrote:
The most obvious Gundam mecha sans legs is the Guntank. There's also a metric ton of Mobile Armors.

True, it's not that hard to find mobile suits or mobile armors without legs (Guntank, Gadeel, Zeong, Xamel, Dra-C, Apsalus, Neue Ziel, Alpha Azieru, Rafflesia, etc., etc., etc., etc.). But the guy specifically said Gundams, which are a bit trickier to find legless (or...intentionally legless Laughing ).

There was that snake Gundam in G Gundam.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that it was Ninja Scroll TV that was licensed by Urban Vision. The movie was licensed by Manga Entertainment.

And why'd that one guy want Fushigi Yugi on The Anime Network? Isn't that an old series? ADV doesn't even have it. And why's he asking ANN? He should be asking the guys at ADV (he probably didn't notice the word "News" in "Anime News Network").

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
tiredgamer wrote:
The most obvious Gundam mecha sans legs is the Guntank. There's also a metric ton of Mobile Armors.

True, it's not that hard to find mobile suits or mobile armors without legs (Guntank, Gadeel, Zeong, Xamel, Dra-C, Apsalus, Neue Ziel, Alpha Azieru, Rafflesia, etc., etc., etc., etc.). But the guy specifically said Gundams, which are a bit trickier to find legless (or...intentionally legless Laughing ).

The, uh... Cobra Gundam? Rolling Eyes
aorta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
The_Dominion wrote:

Hold on caul(part of skin that covers a fetus' head at birth) field. His name is symbolic, because he is unwilling to grow up or change.

It has been suggested that the 'caul' part is also a reference to this passage from David Copperfield:

"I was born with a caul, which was advertised for sale, in the newspapers, at the low price of fifteen guineas. Whether sea-going people were short of money about that time, or were short of faith and preferred cork jackets, I don't know; all I know is, that there was but one solitary bidding, and that was from an attorney connected with the bill-broking business, who offered two pounds in cash, and the balance in sherry, but declined to be guaranteed from drowning on any higher bargain. Consequently the advertisement was withdrawn at a dead loss - for as to sherry, my poor dear mother's own sherry was in the market then - and ten years afterwards, the caul was put up in a raffle down in our part of the country, to fifty members at half-a-crown a head, the winner to spend five shillings. I was present myself, and I remember to have felt quite uncomfortable and confused, at a part of myself being disposed of in that way. The caul was won, I recollect, by an old lady with a hand-basket, who, very reluctantly, produced from it the stipulated five shillings, all in halfpence, and twopence halfpenny short - as it took an immense time and a great waste of arithmetic, to endeavour without any effect to prove to her."

Xenos wrote:
I sure hope they showed Grave first. You need Totoro to cheer you up after that.

I read on the Miyazaki Mailing List that the movies were just shown over and over again during the day. You got two for the price of one, but could start with either. There seemed to be a lot better response wirh Grave first and Totoro second.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

The Cobra Gundam's standard form has legs. It's only in its mobile armor mode that it goes full serpent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
As for 'anime with a lot of diverse characters', I'm surprised One Piece wasnt mentioned. I think it has more interesting characters than Naruto personally, not to say I dont love the characters in Naruto.
noaizuma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm a robotic's enginer by training and one of the major things that first attracted me to anime was how some of the works of the field took a real seriouse look at the mechanics of hyper technology. By looking over (and in some cases translating) "blueprints" and "technical manuals" from these shows I've concluded the fallowing.

GUNDAM Almost all versions of the numerous gundam anime's feature mecha that almost universaly either wouldnt function at all or (as is most often the case) would only function in a capacity far more limited then they are displayed in the show. Notable exceptions to this seem to be several of the OAV series where the mecha function much more "sluggish" and the blueprints depict more emphsis on structial stability.

SUPER DIMENSIONAL FORTRESS MACROSS The design of the Veritech Fighters was truely astounding. The designer stated that with the exception of the power supply (a givin imho), that the only major flaw with the VF's was that no alloy existed at the time he created them that could stand up to the tremenduse force's exuridated apon the key joints, but he belived that such an alloy would existe by the time of the show's date aka the early 2000's and he was right. This could more then likely be considered the first major "realistic" mech.

MACROSS PLUS Once again the design's are around 90-95% acurate. Also several technologies that were mere concepts at the time were intergrated into the mecha such as extreme vector thrust nozeling, munliptive wing structures and advanced radar deaden design. If you take a look at the military's new joint strike force jet you can notice more then a few simulatries.

VISIONS OF ESCAFLOWNE Strangly enough thouse mecha would probely not even be abe to stand under their own power let alone fight, but frankly they were supposed to use a degree of "magic" anyways.

MOBILE POLICE PATLABOR In all of the different versions of patlabor the mecha handle extremely realisticly (haveing short pauses while different compoants or sub-routines come online)and the blueprints are about 80% accurate (which is rather high considering that most mecha have a rating of 50% or lower), but its the secound movie that really shines. The redesigned patlabor is so damn realastic that I've built functioning miniture models of it and I've writen a simply OS for robotics programming that mimics the OS from the movie.

GHOST IN THE SHELL All the different versions have extremely realastic mecha design (with the exception of the fuchakoma's).
The crab tank from the first movie is a very good look at the future of tank design in the next 20 years.

Im sure I've forgotten some so if anyone wants to know about a specific series just ask.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
GF13-044NNP Mandala Gundam from G Gundam

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/g/gf13-044nnp.htm

...Which I mentioned specifically in the fourth post of this thread. Razz

Gotta lay off the beers......Gotta lay off.....
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

The Cobra Gundam's standard form has legs. It's only in its mobile armor mode that it goes full serpent.

I forgot about that. Meh...
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
noaizuma wrote:

Im sure I've forgotten some so if anyone wants to know about a specific series just ask.

What about Eva?
noaizuma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:34 am Reply with quote
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION The eva are not technicaly "robots" unlike the previousely mentioned series, but are cyborgs (combinations of organic mater and artifical mechanism's). Be that as it may, and takeing into acount the fact that I specialize in robotics, I did do alot of research into bio-organic constructs (mainly because I really liked that show), and found that a large amount of technical information seemed to be on the up-and-up. The reason its harder to gauge that series is manly because the previouse shows (as well as most mecha shows) are based on real world aplications (such as hydrolic systems and cross-joint fatigue) where as most of the technical information in eva is based on theory. All together though I give it a 90%
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2