• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guillermo del Toro Develops Monster Manga as Possible HBO Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
I've said as much elsewhere, but if Del Toro's willing to trim the fat on the series, I might give this a go. (I personally think 74 episodes for the anime series was too long for what it was trying to do.)

Beside, this being an American adaptation, I highly doubt it will be anything near a 100% accurate adaptation, partially because American television and cinema just don't do that (I can't think of a time when they did, anyway). Still, with Del Toro in the chair, this thing could go anywhere.

Also, while I may not be a fan of the series, I do hope, for the sake of the fans, that this does inspire Viz to release the rest of it. I know how much it sucks to have a series you love get left hanging like that (KODOCHA!).

What would the "fat" be?
What would you skip?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
So why don't they just air the show that exists already?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So why don't they just air the show that exists already?

That'd be crazy, no one can take a cartoon seriously.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 am Reply with quote
I believe this has been brought up in Answerman before (and I may be paraphrasing), but networks tend to prefer stuff produced under their wing because it allows them greater control over it, which can be more beneficial to them in the long run

Last edited by Shenl742 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately unless it's from Ghibli, they will eat that up like hotcakes.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:

What would the "fat" be?
What would you skip?

It has been a while since I've seen it, so all of the details are pretty fuzzy, but I seemed to remember, when I was watching it, that it was dragging pretty badly in the second half. I remember just slugging through the 50-70 stretch, with the possibility that Johann would die being my only motivation for finishing.

I also remember being sort of frustrated that we would spend time with characters going over what the viewer already knew only to watch Johann kill them, as if their only purpose was to show how awful he was. I already know Johann is a creep; let's kill him already! It's one thing to have slow pacing to build tension, it's another thing to drag stuff out, offering only a few nuggets per episode.

I think the main reason I felt this way was because I watched the anime without reading the manga, so I'm sure all of the info-dumps flow better in print. However, it's obvious that the anime was rigidly dedicated to recreating the manga, panel-for-panel, and I don't know if that was such a wise idea for this series. I'm not saying it needed more dynamic action scenes or special effects, just more attention to the idea that they were switching mediums and how that changes things.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^I suppose you mean re-print, right? Why would they re-do it when it's already perfect as it is?

OT, this could be really interesting and, ignoring the casting that could always be a problem, I'm very excited about this news. Though, as has been said, Del Toro has a million projects on the work atm -I think the filming of Beauty and the Beast should start in the coming months- I hope this can pick up quickly and doesn't get left behind now that I've gotten all pumped-up about it.

Same here. I want this to succeed and be something great. By my thinking, so long as they respect the ethnicities of the cast and stay at least reasonably faithful to the storyline (As much as I love it, Monster is one helluva convoluted ride, so a teensy bit of streamlining might not hurt for a TV series) I'll be jumping for joy.

If a resurgence in Monster's popularity could help push the anime do actual DVD/BD release I could die happy.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
mrsticky005 wrote:

What would the "fat" be?
What would you skip?

It has been a while since I've seen it, so all of the details are pretty fuzzy, but I seemed to remember, when I was watching it, that it was dragging pretty badly in the second half. I remember just slugging through the 50-70 stretch, with the possibility that Johann would die being my only motivation for finishing.

I also remember being sort of frustrated that we would spend time with characters going over what the viewer already knew only to watch Johann kill them, as if their only purpose was to show how awful he was. I already know Johann is a creep; let's kill him already! It's one thing to have slow pacing to build tension, it's another thing to drag stuff out, offering only a few nuggets per episode.

I think the main reason I felt this way was because I watched the anime without reading the manga, so I'm sure all of the info-dumps flow better in print. However, it's obvious that the anime was rigidly dedicated to recreating the manga, panel-for-panel, and I don't know if that was such a wise idea for this series. I'm not saying it needed more dynamic action scenes or special effects, just more attention to the idea that they were switching mediums and how that changes things.

I dunno...but you don't seem to actually like the series all
that much. I mean if waiting for Johan to die is all you had
to look forward to then it's easy to see why you were bored.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That'd be crazy, no one can take a cartoon seriously.

Despite there are some cartoons out there that people do take seriously?
ProsesRoses

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
America isn't purely white, and hasn't been since...forever. We also have Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Indians, Native Indians, and far far more. That's why whitewashing in America is looked down upon, because competent actors (who speak English) who aren't just white also exist, and they're almost always excluded for the sake of choosing whites. It'll be far less common in more homogenous societies like Japan that you will encounter non-Japanese who can speak fluently and ACT in Japanese. If you can't act in Japanese, and they're sure as hell not going to subtitle your lines when you're supposed to be speaking Japanese, then what use are you?

They are not equivalent practices. This HBO Monster could easily pick any Japanese American (or hell, any Asian American because they know general TV audiences won't care to know the difference) to be cast in the lead role. There's got to be some really strong actor out there who fits the bill, and thousands of times more likely than you'll find a competent white actor who speaks Japanese. And yet, we fear that they won't do that, but opt for a white guy instead.

OMFG. Thank-you. I was face-desking at the apologists for whitewashing. When they open for auditions I hope it says something like "Asian ethnicities strongly encouraged." Because let's face it "open casting" has done SHIT to increasing diversity in western television.

There are plenty of Asian-Americans/Canadians who were born or live here who are perfectly fluent in English and act. The question is to casting an Asian-American actor is "WHY NOT?" Do we want to perpetuate the white-American male as default, as ubiquitous, as the only ethnicity to be bothered represented in our media and that will sell because USA/Canada are that racist/prejudiced and won't watch a series that has an Asian co-headlining?

_
valiantsquirrel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
America isn't purely white, and hasn't been since...forever. We also have Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Indians, Native Indians, and far far more. That's why whitewashing in America is looked down upon, because competent actors (who speak English) who aren't just white also exist, and they're almost always excluded for the sake of choosing whites. It'll be far less common in more homogenous societies like Japan that you will encounter non-Japanese who can speak fluently and ACT in Japanese. If you can't act in Japanese, and they're sure as hell not going to subtitle your lines when you're supposed to be speaking Japanese, then what use are you?

They are not equivalent practices. This HBO Monster could easily pick any Japanese American (or hell, any Asian American because they know general TV audiences won't care to know the difference) to be cast in the lead role. There's got to be some really strong actor out there who fits the bill, and thousands of times more likely than you'll find a competent white actor who speaks Japanese. And yet, we fear that they won't do that, but opt for a white guy instead.

Complete cop out and no longer relevant in this modern inter-connected world. You either apply the standard or don't, but there's no excuse at this point to play favorites towards one and give them free passes for actions you ridicule others for aside from your own bias. Nobody is buying it anymore, and in this world that is so interconnected where you have actors and actresses working on shows regularly on the opposite ends of the world, there is simply no excuse no matter how much you want there to be one to justify your own double standards. It's prejudice, whether you choose to admit it or not, making you every bit as bad as the ones you point your finger at. Just sad.
valiantsquirrel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't think Japan is that diverse in population, regardless of interconnectedness, and neither is Japanese a global language. Your actor will need to speak Japanese, much like we'd expect actors to speak English in Hollywood films unless they're a bit part or side character, which is what most non-Japanese actors in Japan are. Maybe it does come down the same thing we always talk about: selling the most amount of tickets. Whites make up the majority of the US's population, so maybe whitewashing has proven to be more lucrative. Maybe whites don't want to see Asians in leading roles. There, I brought America down to Japan's level, no more double standard. They're both equally at fault.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure of the reason for valiantsquirrel's quotebumps, but as to the quoted content, I recall one ex-Hollywood writer mentioning she quit because she realized that all the talk about how audiences wouldn't accept non-white male leads was all just a cover for the fact that the studios wouldn't accept one. If her claim's true(I personally find little reason to doubt it; we have plenty of examples that broke the mold and did well), pretty much the only way to end whitewashing in American cinema is for non-Hollywood movies to start catching on.

As for Keonyn's point, I'd say Hollywood Whitewashing will always be the most egregious, given that in the Los Angeles area you don't exactly have to look hard to assemble a multiracial Anglophonic acting troupe(even in Tokyo, the equivalent would take much more work).
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
If we want to get very technical, only Asian diaspora includes all "Asians" as Asians, since people in South Korea almost always call themselves Korean and never Asian. There seems to be this misconception that East Asian/mongoloids are interchangeable in terms of culture/looks, when it couldn't be farther from the truth. Unlike the average White-French, White-English or White-Irish, differences are also aesthetic, not just lingual.

For example, Chinese people tend to have fatter faces than Koreans and Japanese, while Koreans are slightly more masculine looking and darker. Japanese people, particularly women are easy to spot out compared to Korean and Chinese women, since they'll generally be wearing more makeup and IMO cuter. Even I never knew the names of Hyuna and Hikaru Utada, if you put them together, I would be able to tell you their ethnic background without even blinking. However, the differences in facial expressions, skin shade, eyes size and body shape are negligible between French and English people.

It's not about casting "Asians" it's about casting Japanese, because truth be told, a Chinese person portraying Kenzō Tenma would be just as, if not even more intrusive than a white guy, unless his name would be changed to "Jiànsān tiānmǎn" or something. Same goes for a Japanese person playing a Korean/Korean-derivative. Oh BTW, Japan is not really homogeneous. That is a misconception. What people don't seem to realize is that nationality, not ethnicity is what the Japanese censuses record in foreigner numbers. South Korea on the other hand is a bit different.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Americans have a bad habit of equating race and skin color(I'd say this stems from the fact that both and white and black populations have tended to be mongreloid and the Indians tended to be run together in popular consciousness). It has little to do with any greater similarity of European races(actual Europeans have managed to be racist just fine).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4