• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Biggest Crybaby Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
Could people stop it with the over-quoting? It looks fugly as hell. Just quote the relevant stuff please.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Could people stop it with the over-quoting? It looks fugly as hell. Just quote the relevant stuff please.

Sorry about that. I had been planning on doing so with my next post, since things were getting so lengthy.

zeo1fan:
Quote:
Glad to oblige. The tragic structure is so fascinating to me because you see it so rarely nowadays.

It almost seems as though tragedy itself has become synonymous with Shakespeare to people (which is interesting in its own right).

Though I realize that Drama is more profitable because the ending is likely to leave people with less of a downer ending; but according to Aristotle, the ending of a tragedy is meant to be cathartic. It's meant to be a release (like Macbeth's death in the titular play) and I think a lot more people would be less shy towards tragedy if they knew that.

It's been wonderful talking with you, by the way.

Same here, I love getting the chance to have a good discussion Smile I'll admit that the first thing I associate with tragedy is good old Will (though he wrote a fair share of comedies as well---I quite enjoy The Twelth Night). I do agree that people seem to prefer less "depressing" endings, though if done properly the ending will be both satisfactory, a little sad, and ultimately hopeful. A recent anime I quite liked had such an ending; it evoked tears of sadness, departed a feeling of melancholy that remained for the better half of a month, but it still remained inspiring somehow. Characters died in the name of love; as much as I wanted a perfectly happy ending, it fit, as it *was* happy in the sense that they saved the ones they loved, something that gave them peace. My friend felt deflated leaving the series, but I was touched by the fact that they had gained something very precious in the face of calamity; the truest sense of catharsis after the tears~

Drama can rob a work the beauty of that moment when you see the faintest ray of light beyond the rainclouds; it is a more comfortable form of storytelling, though no less deserving of merit.

I watch a lot of old B+W films from the 30s and 40s, old wartime romances and whatnot, and let me tell you, they sure run the gamut of drama and tragedy! I can't really see some of those stories being adapted as films today Laughing
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:01 am Reply with quote
'Comfortable' is a good word. It can be hard to make a drama's ending feel earned (Idealism overcomes) because people tend to expect a happy ending in the first place.

One of my favorite anime is 'Princess Tutu', a masterpiece designed to be a subversion of the tragic structure (no easy feat), whose ending winds up feeling completely earned because the characters are trying so hard to avert a tragic ending. I feel like a Drama might have a harder time subverting audience expectations because people are already expecting a happy ending. Laughing
sobi123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
Crying Freeman ?
Este

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
About Jacuzzi Splot:
For me, a "crybaby" is someone who always whines about the things that happened to them or could happen to them. They rely on others and have no ideas for themselves how they can achieve their goals. If they have own goals at all...
Jacuzzi Splot thinks, acts, takes the initiative and can also take the lead. He is even pretty effective. He does not cry for himself, but because of the stuff he could do to others. So I agree with this:
penguintruth wrote:
He's not a crybaby. He's got a gun in his heart.

About Sakura Card Captor: I also don't think she deserves to be on the list. There are much more worthy candidates.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Este wrote:
About Jacuzzi Splot:
For me, a "crybaby" is someone who always whines about the things that happened to them or could happen to them. They rely on others and have no ideas for themselves how they can achieve their goals. If they have own goals at all...
Jacuzzi Splot thinks, acts, takes the initiative and can also take the lead. He is even pretty effective. He does not cry for himself, but because of the stuff he could do to others. So I agree with this:
penguintruth wrote:
He's not a crybaby. He's got a gun in his heart.

About Sakura Card Captor: I also don't think she deserves to be on the list. There are much more worthy candidates.

I really don't recall Sakura crying that much at all. One of the major plot-points of the series is her ability to buck herself up by believing everything will turn out alright and then succeeding as a result.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall Shinji being so much as a crybaby, as more just f***ing annoyingly thick to the point of wanting to slap him to make him wakeup and smell the coffee and sort his life out. In short, pathetic.
zhoumo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
After many years of lurking I've finally registered on this forum to post my displeasure at the exclusion of Kaiji, who clearly beats anyone on this list hands down. Until now he's not even been mentioned in this thread.

For shame, ANN community, for shame.
Este

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I really don't recall Sakura crying that much at all. One of the major plot-points of the series is her ability to buck herself up by believing everything will turn out alright and then succeeding as a result.

Me neither actually. Did she cry when spoiler[Yuki dumped her]? I can't remember...
She was sometimes hesitant and complaining, which would be more qualifying for crybaby, but she always got over that, like you said. That makes her a rather strong character in my opinion.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Este wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Me neither actually. Did she cry when spoiler[Yuki dumped her]? I can't remember...
She was sometimes hesitant and complaining, which would be more qualifying for crybaby, but she always got over that, like you said. That makes her a rather strong character in my opinion.

She did a bit. But it was kind of justified; 'Sakura' is an exploration of all the different kinds of love, so it makes sense they'd weigh them equally. I concur. Sakura is a strong character.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I don't recall Shinji being so much as a crybaby, as more just f***ing annoyingly thick to the point of wanting to slap him to make him wakeup and smell the coffee and sort his life out. In short, pathetic.

Exactly. When the teenage females in the show have more (and larger) testicles than the male lead...

Of course, they were trying to write Shinji as a tragic hero (I think), but they pushed right past that into some kind of emotional uncanny valley, and made him a parody of a tragedy, instead. (And left out most of the heroics.) That doesn't help.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Exactly. When the teenage females in the show have more (and larger) testicles than the male lead...

Of course, they were trying to write Shinji as a tragic hero (I think), but they pushed right past that into some kind of emotional uncanny valley, and made him a parody of a tragedy, instead. (And left out most of the heroics.) That doesn't help.

Implying the female protagonists aren't supposed to be stronger than the male one? Razz I smell a dash of sexism. Also; Hideaki Anno intended Shinji to be sympathetic. What you're experiencing is a rejection of the existentialist philosophy that permeates the character. Smile
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Implying the female protagonists aren't supposed to be stronger than the male one? Razz

It's a shounen series, that's a pretty standard implication. Er, expectation. Very Happy I didn't say anything about their relative ability, though, since...
Quote:
I smell a dash of sexism.

...testicular fortitude is a matter of effort, not results. Even if the females are stronger, a dude should give it the old college try.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
'Comfortable' is a good word. It can be hard to make a drama's ending feel earned (Idealism overcomes) because people tend to expect a happy ending in the first place.

One of my favorite anime is 'Princess Tutu', a masterpiece designed to be a subversion of the tragic structure (no easy feat), whose ending winds up feeling completely earned because the characters are trying so hard to avert a tragic ending. I feel like a Drama might have a harder time subverting audience expectations because people are already expecting a happy ending. Laughing

Princess Tutu is also a favorite of mine! It was amazing how well the whole thing worked, considering it was a marriage of ballet+classical music+European fairytales+magical girl anime+a meta commentary on the nature of storytelling. And all the characters were lovable, to boot! The ending was also quite a bittersweet one, just as it should be based on the setup of the plot.

Another "tragic" anime I really love is Tsuikou-Hen (known in the States as Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal). All of the character development is very subtle, the emotions understated, and yet it really packs a punch with the finale. The gorgeous music and usage of symbolism help, too Smile
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
It's a shounen series, that's a pretty standard implication. Er, expectation.

and nge does exactly what to expectations?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7