• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Reveals Mysterious Girlfriend X Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And as a bonus it is being released on Blu-Ray as well.

Yeah, time to celebrate another slightly-crippled 1080i Blu-ray release of an excellent show. I'm presuming that it's not ADV's fault, but I still don't like to see it. That's one of the reasons (in addition to audio and compression issues) why I've passed on a few of their Blu-ray sets so far... ;_;
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
@DKL:

Agreed. The fanservice was fantastic and quite tasteful, and I was impressed by the way the teen cast learned about and explored various fetishes (and boy were there a few unusual ones). But though the sexuality side of things was important, what was truly noteworthy was just how Tsubaki and Urabe sought to understand one another before getting into the normal but superficial parts of dating like holding hands and kissing. This focus on feelings and empathy by a confirmed couple actively sets the show apart from the vast majority of Romantic Comedies, Anime or otherwise, which treat understanding your partner as an aesop to be delivered and learnt at the end of the story. For example, in most RomComs a squabbling girl and boy both learn to accept one another at the story's climax, then they get engaged/married, then the ending credits play. But Mysterious Girlfriend X - and I cannot stress this enough - treats understanding your partner as an ongoing process that forms a significant part of the relationship journey itself.

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
There were lots of things to love about Mysterious Girlfriend X, the retro character designs, the awesome soundtrack, the AWESOME voice of Urabe, the weird dream sequences, and finally as dtm42 says, the fact that it's about a developing relationship .. not a relationship as an end point as so many romcoms are.

I'll definitely be purchasing it when it's released in NZ later this year.
Prede

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Why are people so surprised this got picked up and is getting a dub? Maybe it's not HUGELY popular but come on now . It was talked about more then most shows that season . Mostly Because of the drool but still. This show gets a lot of discussions started.

Been dying to watch it myself since before it aired, but as usual I waited for the North American release . Had this puppy pre-ordered as soon as I could. The cast looks more then solid, pretty fresh too. Lets hope it sounds as good as it does in my mind. I have faith it will be a good dub though...
Khooni

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Very Happy GOOOOOOOOO SENTAI!!!!!!!! Very Happy
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Why are people so surprised this got picked up and is getting a dub? Maybe it's not HUGELY popular but come on now . It was talked about more then most shows that season . Mostly Because of the drool but still. This show gets a lot of discussions started.

Been dying to watch it myself since before it aired, but as usual I waited for the North American release . Had this puppy pre-ordered as soon as I could. The cast looks more then solid, pretty fresh too. Lets hope it sounds as good as it does in my mind. I have faith it will be a good dub though...

You could watch it legally on Crunchyroll anytime, or Hulu. It has already had a North American release since the first day it aired.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
well give cast list on look sorts ok give yea sentai have simmons as female give compare seiyu version was new name.

as for simmons well she is on the rise right as new batch of anime dub voice coming in give heard her in time paradox, horizon series, majikoi, & space pirates.

now as girlfriend x hmm wonder how she will do it?
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
This is gonna be a 2nd for me. I usually prefer dubs.

But I really can't see this show working in English with the current cast. I've always thought about how it would sound in English but no VA I know of seems to fit the parts.

Urusei Yatsura had a dub that doesn't sound right even for those who haven't seen the Japanese version.

But since I prefer dubs anyway, I want to be proven wrong and I look forward to seeing what it sounds like, because I adore this series to pieces, both the manga and the anime. I hope season 2 gets made.

But still, I'm surprised this is getting a dub.

Last edited by TopGunman on Thu May 02, 2013 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
DKL

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
@DKL:

But though the sexuality side of things was important, what was truly noteworthy was just how Tsubaki and Urabe sought to understand one another before getting into the normal but superficial parts of dating like holding hands and kissing.

I think a lot of this stuff comes out primarily because it's all hanging out in the open with the admission that, yes... the show is about sex (or to the very least: people who have a very healthy interest in sex). They just get into it, man, like James Brown.

That said, one of the aspects of the series that I like is that, while it's primarily told from a male perspective, it doesn't actually drown out the female perspective where, shockingly, you come to the realization that both sides sometimes want the same things.

And when there is a divergence, interesting things are said: one of my favorite observations comes toward the end of the series where Urabe calls Tsubaki out for being "such a boy"...

It was funny, but also strangely profound considering how Tsubaki got into the mess to begin with (he didn't really bother to see things from the other side when making his choices earlier).

This was a... deeply interesting show.

I wasn't even really put off by the drool thing (all things considering, Shohei Imamura made a movie about female ejaculation, so Mysterious Girlfriend X's fixation wasn't exactly the weirdest thing I've ever been exposed to regarding the subject).
Prede

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

You could watch it legally on Crunchyroll anytime, or Hulu. It has already had a North American release since the first day it aired.

Yeah but I was waiting for the dub. I figured it would get picked up anyway. I figured right.
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Blu ray arrived in the mail today. 6 minutes in to the English dub and nobody can pronounce Urabes name properly. The teacher and the students have all screwed it up.

I already knew I was going to prefer the Japanese vocals but come on. The English actors can at least figure out how to say the main characters name. What the hell.....

*edit*

I almost couldn't take it. Her name is not ERR-BAY (ebay?) or ERR-I-BAY.

Greg Aryes didn't do to bad as Ueno and Genevieve Simmons portrayed Urabe better than I thought she would though after finishing the first episode, I think I am going to watch with the Japanese audio and subtitles.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely hearing the a being pronounced.
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I'm definitely hearing the a being pronounced.

The only place I heard her name proper is when the 3 girls ask her to eat with them.

The teacher calls her EWW-RU-BAY
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
it sounds like just about everyone is putting too much emphasis on the first two letters, but i can definitely hear the a being pronounced. I just called my brother over to listen to her name being pronounced in several places and he also hears the a being pronounced.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh what, this is out hella early lol

Gotta put in the order...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3