• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Why Did This Come Out?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
I have the first two volumes of Miami Guns, but never got around to finishing the series. The episodes I did see were funny enough to be tolerable.

I have seen and reviewed both volumes of Kirameki Project and actually gave a pretty strong rating to its second volume. It's a fun and surprisingly good little series for as utterly silly as its concept is.

I also own and have reviewed Tattoon Master. It was pretty bad.

EDIT: Oh, and I also have seen Legend of Himiko, as it came up on a free VOD offering a few years back. Wasn't awful but wasn't very good, either.

I have a few other probably-obscure titles on my shelves that I've gotten as promos or random review copies over the years. The 1990s Time Bokan OVA, which I reviewed, probably qualifies, as it's a spin-off of a '70s-era franchise that I don't believe ever got released in the States and is only really notable for having a lengthy guest appearance by Science Ninja Team Gatchaman in its second episode. I'll add others on when I get home, as I'm spacing on names at the moment.

Last edited by Key on Mon May 06, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Soo, of the shows mentioned:

Legend of Himiko - Don't be dissing on Himiko now, that show was awesome. I'm proud to own this one, IMO it's better than a lot of what comes out these days! I went out of my way to get a new 2nd disc after I got mine broken (I don't lend out originals anymore...) to make damn sure I don't lose this one.

Hyper Doll - I really enjoyed this one back in the day, haven't seen it in over a decade though so I don't know if that sentiment still holds, but I remember being sad it was never finished. I own this one, so I'll have to revisit it and see...

Detatok-o Princess - Not nearly as good as Elf Princess Rane (yet another show tragically left unfinished), but did get some laughs out of me. Own this one as well...

Seraphim Call - Not great, but not particularly terrible either. Own this one too.

Psychic Force - I don't remember anything about this one other than I watched it at a friend's house, so I guess that speaks to its quality as I perceived it. Don't own this one.

Samurai: Hunt for the Sword - Don't remember much about this one either, except I watched it at the same friend's house as Psychic Force and that some of the "bloopers" were hilarious (I still laugh at the "I LOST MY BETTER HALF!" one, and repeat it every time someone gets incinerated from the stomach up...). Don't own this one.

And for the record, I am one of those people who will be picking up Rio Rainbow Gate if it is ever released... I only watched that show cause I was bored on the day it started simulcasting, and almost dropped it after the first episode, but stuck with it and got some enjoyment out of it as the series went along. I won't say it wasn't [expletive] stupid, I'm just saying I was able to enjoy it...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
How has no one mentioned knights of raumne? This show I am pretty sure was already ripped on this website once in an article.

What about Battle Atheltes? This joke actually got a full tv show with at least 5 or 6 dvds from what I remeber.

Or what about the logo of CPM, I forgot what it is called, but I believe that show is often universally stated to be one of the worst things created..........ah just remembered the name MD Geist.

Regarding some of the shows mentioned here. Look the samurai ova is not a masterpiece, but its basically like an episode or ranma or one could even say its basically a precursor to Samurai Harem. Its not that bad.

Sola is another show where I just cant fathom why its grouped with some of the other shows mentioned. Miama Guns as well as its basically a clone of the beloved you are under arrest. And I really don't get anyone complaining about Eden's Bowy. Its a very good fantasy mixed with some really dark elements, my only complaint would be the end, due to some spoiler reasons.

Regarding Eiken, its basically a typical harem with girls with over exaggerated breasts. There is no reason to think this could not sell marginally well as an ova, not to mention the manga came out in the US.

One last thing regarding Rio. While I have not seen the show, so I cant comment on it, I find it funny people ridiculing the one guy who said its cult. I have never seen it, yet I have seen Rio splashed on everything, from Car skins in Forza Motorsports to fan art and doushinji from here to the moon. At minimum the character has a cult following if not the show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Battle Athletes TV ran simultaneously with the OVA, or at least the TV series began in 1997 before the OVA ended in 1998. So the "joke" seemed to be pretty well planned.
bkarsis

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the automatic link-bot flipped its nut again. Facile TV is apparently a company who had a hand in the broadcast of a Tenchi series. I guess this is better than the time an article mentioned Mary Poppins, and we were dutifully linked to the encyclopedia entry for PoppinS, the group who sang the ending song to the S&M-themed harem show DearS.

Sola was a decent show. It's been years since I saw it, but it's definitely got virtues beyond just "cute girls" and "romance." I remember a story having to do with magic and past lives that reminded me of Please Save My Earth.

I've liked Wild Cardz ever since I first saw it as a VHS fansub at the old anime club. I vividly remember hearing nervous laughter and a smarmy "This is so wrong..." while I was trying to enjoy myself. Those were the guys who watched a lot of Slayers.

I often wonder how many of these head-scratcher licenses can be explained by package deals, contractual demands, and people with "clout" at Japanese companies. Someone who worked for Bandai USA was on ANNcast a while back, and explained that they released Dan Doh! The Super Shot because one of their executives was a big golfer. One wonders what else they could have done with that money.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh come, don't just diss Mask of Zeguy Crying or Very sad ... It may be cheeky, but I still quite enjoyed it.
Of course, that statement may be through rose-tinted glasses, as I saw it back in the early days, among the first anime vhs I've watched. Haven't watched it since, perhaps to the better...

Ok, it might not be a dvd in this case, but the worst treatment of an anime property by an official licensee I've personally encountered also hails from those early days;
A mash-up of Dangaioh OVA on vhs (I think Manga Entertainment UK). Three episodes cut and smashed into one single unrecognizable mess, so horribly that even the slimes from Utawarerumono deserve more sympathy. Those character designs were a dangerous lure, I still regret taking the bait...
Can't pass judgement on the original OVA as I haven't seen it in it's unaltered three-episode state. But I doubt it has much in common with that abomination, at least I hope not.
Don't know if there's anyone from UK, or elsewhere, here who might remember it, and could give their impression on it, either the original or 'that'?
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I think for me, two of the most bizarre licenses had to be ADV's Sonic Soldier Borgman OVAs and particularly CPM's Time Bokan - and don't get me wrong, I'm proud to own copies of both of them!

While their licensing was unquestionably as the result of one of those package deals to obtain more desirable other titles, the fact that ADV and CPM not only bothered to release them at all but gave them the full dub treatment speaks wonders as to the way such licensing companies were utterly squandering money away during the latter part of the boom years.

No wonder CPM started cutting back on staff just a month after Time Bokan's release, and effectively went bust 18 months later (an event which we're coming up to the seventh anniversary of).

Speaking of which...

Mike Toole wrote:
I've long told the story of how Machine Robo was licensed by accident by Central Park Media, so it's comforting to know that it's not the only one!

This was the Dancougar thing, right? Typically, if this had to happen to one company, it had to happen to the hapless CPM...

CPM seem to have been responsible for more than their fair share of oddities during their existence, from the well-noted institutional obsession with M.D. Geist, some of the first "bilingual" DVDs I can recall that skipped on subs, dubs seemingly being produced without the dubbing director being present, etc...

Blanchimont wrote:
Three episodes cut and smashed into one single unrecognizable mess, so horribly that even the slimes from Utawarerumono deserve more sympathy. Those character designs were a dangerous lure, I still regret taking the bait...

That's something of a common misconception with Manga's release of Dangaio(h). What were released were the second and third episodes; the original Japanese version of the second episode opens with a recap of the first, so Manga didn't purposefully license the first episode and then edit it down. As to why Manga skipped on that first episode at all - that's still a mystery.

Blanchimont wrote:
Don't know if there's anyone from UK, or elsewhere, here who might remember it, and could give their impression on it, either the original or 'that'?

I bought the original UK VHS when it was first released, and at least Manga were honest on the back cover when they stated that their latest "movie" release was made from two OVA episodes. That they neglected to mention they skipped on the first episode was less laudable.

I recall there was at least one blatant instance where the UK origins of the dub were plain for all to hear when one character triumphantly shouts "180!".
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

What about Battle Atheltes? This joke actually got a full tv show with at least 5 or 6 dvds from what I remeber.
Did you just diss Battle Athletes Victory!? Have you no soul? The insane ending alone is worth the price of admission.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm still confused as to why Urban Vision released two volumes (half the series) of Strange Dawn. It's a decent show, but not an easy sell by any means. It looks kiddy, but isn't always kid friendly, and it looks too kiddy for an older audience to check it out. Also, they only released half the damn series, wtf? Although now days, being able to put "from the director of Princess Tutu" should be able to help a lot.

I also spent far too much time trying to track this one down, and own both of the dvd releases. The answer that I unofficially received from bugging Urban Vision at cons was that the dub was taken from a European television network's airing of the series. When show was abruptly canceled in Europe, so was the dub. The two dvd's were released with this dub (which is why the end theme was removed and shortened). So Urban Vision just decided not to release the rest of the episodes.

I know this probably opens up more questions than it solves, but it's the closest thing to an explanation that I've ever gotten. Sad
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I have seen and reviewed both volumes of Kirameki Project and actually gave a pretty strong rating to its second volume. It's a fun and surprisingly good little series for as utterly silly as its concept is.

And i am really thankful for that review. I saw it in the store for cheap after i read your review and decided to buy it. It was a good ova, not the best but it had cute girls and some really badass mecha action. That and the fact that its made by the people who did stratos 4 (another rather obscure anime that bandai released and one of my early anime favorites) made it a worthwhile purchase.

Im kinda surprised MD Geist and Mad Bull weren't mentioned in the article, as I thought people hated those ovas (although i have no idea if mad bull was previously available in the US before discotek licensed it). And didn't something like what happened to Sola also happen to Shigofumi and True Tears?
loka

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Sola is a better show than 45 of the 49 titles already licensed in 2013.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Did you just diss Battle Athletes Victory!? Have you no soul? The insane ending alone is worth the price of admission.

Word.

I almost died laughing at spoiler[the resurrected Tomoe Midou's personality, which was apparently exactly like everyone remembered..]
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Galaxy Angel Rune. #1 candidate for "why did this come out?".

EDIT: I also like sola.

Last edited by luffypirate on Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

I gave up halfway when the Japanese main character wins the big race over all the other countries than they redo the whole thing again. I was also uncomfortable with the portrayal of the Chinese athlete and the Africa athlete. The whole thing just came off like "This is what Bandai fully expected G Gundam to be".

luffypirate85 wrote:
Galaxy Angel Rune. #1 candidate for "why did this come out?".

Bandai Visual looked at that and thought "The reason this series did mediocre in America was that the prices were too good. Lets sell it for 4 episodes for 50 dollars SRP and they will see that it cost a lot and expect it to be an awesome series."
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Bandai Visual looked at that and thought "The reason this series did mediocre in America was that the prices were too good. Lets sell it for 4 episodes for 50 dollars SRP and they will see that it cost a lot and expect it to be an awesome series."

Remember though, not every volume was 50 dollars. Those crafty devils roped you in by offering the first episode at the low, low price of $20. Once hooked, getting the rest of the series for $50/4 per episode looks like a bargain!

But seriously, Rune might be a better choice for this list than all those obscure Media Blasters titles. Most of those titles probably cost next to nothing to license, and some of them offer a lot more entertainment value then Rune, that's for sure. Please note I am a fan of all things Galaxy Angel, but I find Rune to be almost unwatchable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8