• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Adds GYO: Tokyo Fish Attack, Outlines Blast of Tempest DVDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I spy another Blue Exorcist: release cheap (for Aniplex levels) bare-bones sub-only DVDs of a show, but expensive as hell billingual DVDs and Blu-rays later. Oh, boy...

Well for Blue Exorcist getting both of the new DVD sets only cost $20 more then getting all 4 of the old DVD sets. For all the extra special features and a dub I don't think that is unreasonable at all.

I'll have to check out GYO I hadn't heard of this before, but it looks interesting.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Mad Y U DO DIS Aniplex?

It don't really care if it's dubbed, but I will hold off my purchase for the blu-rays... maybe 2 years from now I guess ? Sad
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I really loved this series, but I'm not spending money on the DVDs and I'm sure as heck not going to spend money on the eventual Aniplex release of the blu ray in the US since it will be insanely expensive. I'm pretty much boycotting their blu rays until (if/when) they become competitively priced.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
People should get used to titles like Tempest, which are published by Aniplex, never going to the other licensers anymore. Aniplex of America is just picking up everything Aniplex produces now.

Last year, Sentai picked up the Persona 4 anime. That was an Aniplex title. They're also in negotiations for more Ginatma, also Aniplex.

I wish Aniplex was doing what Sunrise is doing. They still hold the actual license, but distribute their products through other companies.

GinTama is licensed from TV Tokyo. Dentsu and Sunrise are also on the production committee. I don't see Aniplex listed anywhere.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Last year, Sentai picked up the Persona 4 anime. That was an Aniplex title. They're also in negotiations for more Ginatma, also Aniplex.

You have a source on Gintama? I heard they would consider more if the movie did well, but never heard any more than that.

I am a little worried that Aniplex will keep the P3 movies rather than license them to Sentai, but I guess thats neither here nor there as far as this thread goes.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
TOKYO FISH ATTACK??!! Anything with a title that funny must be worth seeing... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
People should get used to titles like Tempest, which are published by Aniplex, never going to the other licensers anymore. Aniplex of America is just picking up everything Aniplex produces now.

I wish Aniplex was doing what Sunrise is doing. They still hold the actual license, but distribute their products through other companies.

GinTama is licensed from TV Tokyo. Dentsu and Sunrise are also on the production committee. I don't see Aniplex listed anywhere.

Well according to Gintama's encyclopedia page Aniplex is listed down under Sound Production.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
http://www.aniplex.co.jp/gintama/

Gintama is Aniplex. I believe that the TV run is technically owned by TV Tokyo, but all DVD/CD/Merchandise is handled by Aniplex, and thats what matters when it comes to licensing for home release.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
http://www.aniplex.co.jp/gintama/

Gintama is Aniplex. I believe that the TV run is technically owned by TV Tokyo, but all DVD/CD/Merchandise is handled by Aniplex, and thats what matters when it comes to licensing for home release.

If you look at Sentai's releases, Aniplex's logo is always included on their shows. I haven't seen a single title licensed from Aniplex that hasn't included their logo on the box, at least not from Sentai. They're not even listed among the production partners on Sentai's DVD sets. TV Tokyo, Dentsu, and Sunrise are the only partners listed. There's no way they would license it from Aniplex exclude their logo, not to mention completely avoid any mentioning of them.

If you look at the covert art for Volume 1 of GinTama HERE, there is no mention of Aniplex anywhere. So it's most certainly TV Tokyo, though I suppose Dentsu would also be a possibility.

Aniplex having domestic DVD rights doesn't always equate to them having international rights. In fact, it's quite common for the international rights holders and the Japanese home video distributor to be different companies. Many of the series that Sentai licenses from TBS have a different home video distributor in Japan, as do nearly all their Showgate titles. I believe the majority of TV Tokyo series are distributed on home video by other partners.

Also, some other sites and Twitter accounts reported that Sentai stated they were in talks for more GinTama at Anime Boston, but I don't know how accurate those reports are. https://twitter.com/aritzen/status/338357790676504576

EDIT: Also, checking my DVDs, Aniplex is not listed in the English credits at all, which they most certainly would be if the show had been licensed from them.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have to admit I love the box for Gyo. Now would I buy it? Nope. I saw it as part of last year's NYAFF. It was fun to watch with a crowd along but it's not of my taste. It's a crazy piece of work. It's crazy enough that I would consider but I think I can pass on this. However I may recommend this for our collection. But I have to admit it is something kooky out of the crazy gross Japanese cinema that we've come to know. I applaud Aniplex for making the packaging resemble a "B" shock horror film.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

You have a source on Gintama? I heard they would consider more if the movie did well, but never heard any more than that.

From AnimeBoston: https://twitter.com/aritzen/status/338357790676504576
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I've been curious about GYO for awhile, but I'm still debating if I want to purchase it though. I almost certainly would have if it was released on Blu-ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4