Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll iOS App Lists Spring 2011 Anime


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 7467
Location: Wales
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
llamaben wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Basically, FUNimation's deal is with FCC so only covers shows where FCC is responsible for the international (or at least the North American) distribution rights.
While their deal is with FCC, that doesn't mean they didn't pick up other noitaminA titles from other companies.

..no, but I don't believe that has happened for any noitaminA show they have streamed since the deal started (if they picked up a noitaminA show outside the deal they would almost certainly have got full rights, not just streaming, and would also have got UK and Australian rights too if possible - all noitaminA series streamed by FUNi since the deal have been North America only).
It makes no difference. If FCC has the rights, FUNi gets it automatically (for the duration of the partnership). Is someone else has the rights for whatever reason, then it is up for negotiation like Hourou Musuko. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make any more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
llamaben



Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
It makes no difference. If FCC has the rights, FUNi gets it automatically (for the duration of the partnership). Is someone else has the rights for whatever reason, then it is up for negotiation like Hourou Musuko. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make any more.
I'm not really sure what point I was trying to make either Confused. But anyway, if Funi really wanted a non-FCC noitaminA title they would still probably get it over CR or other companies. All I'm saying is that there would be a reason behind not simulcasting Wandering Son and (presumably) Ano Hana, and it's quite possible that the same reason applies to FCC titles too once their partnership runs out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Finny-chan



Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 395
Location: West Virginia, U.S.A
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll might be getting Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi?? Yes please about time we get some Shounen-Ai titles.

Also the other other ones they listed I've been wanting to check out too so this will hopefully be a good season for me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 7467
Location: Wales
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
llamaben wrote:
All I'm saying is that there would be a reason behind not simulcasting Wandering Son

a) they didn't want it
b) they couldn't settle on terms
c) they weren't even offered it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 1841
Location: USA (mid-south)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
Although they have yet to announce it, Crunchyroll has had a Spring lineup page up since at least yesterday. It currently shows 13 "?" boxes for new titles, with the first nine listed to be announced March 28 - March 30 (three titles per day).

UPDATE: The listing was later changed so that only the first two boxes show March 28 as the announcement date, and the remaining 11 boxes were changed to TDB (to be determined).


Last edited by TheAncientOne on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3213
Location: NE Ohio
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
... (if they picked up a noitaminA show outside the deal they would almost certainly have got full rights, not just streaming, and would also have got UK and Australian rights too if possible - all noitaminA series streamed by FUNi since the deal have been North America only) ....
Isn't this, "would have also got UK and Australian rights too if necessary."?

That is, is there any reason to believe that Funimation prefers an "English speaking countries" license to an R1 license? I don't see why they would.

It is obvious why some Japanese production committees would rather not bother negotiating separate deals for the separate markets, so sometimes Funimation will only have the broader license available. But given their preferences, it seems they'd be better off if all their licenses could be R1 only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jtiskool305



Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 232
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
From my post on the CR forums.

I just got on my ipod and found on the notification part that Gintama is now on there. I guess it got leaked?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 25 Oct 2003
Posts: 7467
Location: Wales
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
is there any reason to believe that Funimation prefers an "English speaking countries" license to an R1 license? I don't see why they would.

It is obvious why some Japanese production committees would rather not bother negotiating separate deals for the separate markets, so sometimes Funimation will only have the broader license available. But given their preferences, it seems they'd be better off if all their licenses could be R1 only.

FUNimation quite often gets the UK rights (also Australia and apparently sometimes South Africa too) and sub-licenses to Manga (and Madman). AFAIK they are the only US company to currently do so (ADV used to, Sentai never does) so I assume it is something they specifically ask for rather than something "forced" on them. All the titles on this list are ones that FUNimation has UK rights for since they are all available to view here on their Youtube channel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group