• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Natsume's Book of Faces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
With Natsume, the story I want desperately to see is how his grandmother fell in love (I guess, not much to go on) and actually had offspring. Overall it is a wonderful show, if they keep making it, I will keep buying it.

I have always wondered about this as well. They keep saying she died young, but apparently she had at least one child or else we wouldn't have Natsume.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
With Natsume, the story I want desperately to see is how his grandmother fell in love (I guess, not much to go on) and actually had offspring. Overall it is a wonderful show, if they keep making it, I will keep buying it.

I have always wondered about this as well. They keep saying she died young, but apparently she had at least one child or else we wouldn't have Natsume.

One of the popular WMG is that her husband/lover was Youkai.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
One of the popular WMG is that her husband/lover was Youkai.

Huh. That could make for an interesting story, but then again it'd mean Natsume is part youkai! Personally I don't see the story going in that direction (and wouldn't want it to), but it's still a fun side thought.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Btw, your second link in the Natsume review seems to be off, and I think you meant "kedama," not "kedame." Wink

Guh, thanks. I'm getting sloppy. Can we blame it on Comic Con? Please?

Sadly, I never did review the first 3 seasons. By the time I caught up, reviews of those wouldn't have been timely, but I'm sooooo glad I watched them. For the longest time, I was kind of hemming and hawing about "yet another yokai show" but Natsume was anything but.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Sadly, I never did review the first 3 seasons. By the time I caught up, reviews of those wouldn't have been timely, but I'm sooooo glad I watched them. For the longest time, I was kind of hemming and hawing about "yet another yokai show" but Natsume was anything but.

Thought so, which is why I was surprised when there was a review up for season 4. I think I had mentioned several times while you were raving about Chihayafuru that you should also check out Natsume as the character development in both series are excellent. (Or was that when Erin was handling the column? IIRC she or someone at ANN wasn't as enthusiastic about Natsume.)

As a huge fan of the series, I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed it. ^^ I highly recommend the manga!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

Me three. I recently marathoned seasons 2, 3 and 4 and this question kept popping up every now and then; especially since one of the main arguments of the story is how Reiko was so lonely and hated both human and yokai, and how Natsume is an evolution of that since he's able to co-exist and love both human and yokai. The fact that "Natsume" is Reiko's maiden name and yet it somehow got passed down to Takashi makes me wonder even more on the subject
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Me three. I recently marathoned seasons 2, 3 and 4 and this question kept popping up every now and then; especially since one of the main arguments of the story is how Reiko was so lonely and hated both human and yokai, and how Natsume is an evolution of that since he's able to co-exist and love both human and yokai. The fact that "Natsume" is Reiko's maiden name and yet it somehow got passed down to Takashi makes me wonder even more on the subject

Huh, I hadn't thought about Reiko's maiden name being passed down and that's a good point. You then also have to wonder if either of Natsume's parents (not sure which is the child of Reiko) were able to see youkai and if any they had any similar experiences as Natsume (Takashi).

Btw, I absolutely love the Fujiwaras! They are sooooo kind, and I'm glad the story of how they invited Natsume to join their family was animated near the end of the third season. I totally wibbled when I read the scene in the manga where Natsume asks to go with them while in the hospital room, and then shed a few tears when I saw it animated. I hope one day Natsume will be able to tell the Fujiwaras about the youkai.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Well they kind of start hinting about it in Vol 14.
nemesiz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Quote:

Having only watched the series, and not read the continuing Manga of Natsume Book of Friends, a couple of possible ideas on the continuation of the name or line. In Japanese society in Feudalistic times, unrelated children and prominent adults were adopted into the traditional Clans for the protection against rivals, continuation of the bloodline but also improve reputation by accepting rare talented individuals. Before the war when Imperialism re-appeared the practise had a resurgence, and while rare, the system continues today in the form we see in westernized society. A more plausible answer though is indicated and suggested in the animation, is that Reiko could be alive and head of the Exorcist Clan. If she had left her old family in disgrace "black sheep", run away or chose to marry into the new Clan all her past background would be erased. Her previous family would then classify her as "dead".
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Well they kind of start hinting about it in Vol 14.

Did they? I'm flipping through the volume right now and while there's a pretty long chapter with Reiko, I didn't see any hints that could allow us to speculate. Then again I read this a year ago when it first came out so my memory is hazy.

nemesiz wrote:
A more plausible answer though is indicated and suggested in the animation, is that Reiko could be alive and head of the Exorcist Clan. If she had left her old family in disgrace "black sheep", run away or chose to marry into the new Clan all her past background would be erased. Her previous family would then classify her as "dead".

Huh?? Sorry, but I really don't think that's the case. It wouldn't fit with the atmosphere of the story at all.

While there are still many questions about Reiko, I don't think it detracts from the story if some of those questions go unanswered since the main character is Takashi and the series is about his interactions with youkai and humans, and how those interactions shapes his views. Little by little though Midorikawa sensei is definitely revealing bits and pieces about Reiko. It'll be interesting to see if she gives us the whole story in the end, but I wouldn't want the spotlight to shift entirely from Takashi to Reiko. The way Reiko's past is weaved into the chapters right now is perfect.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Did they? I'm flipping through the volume right now and while there's a pretty long chapter with Reiko, I didn't see any hints that could allow us to speculate. Then again I read this a year ago when it first came out so my memory is hazy.

Yes I don't have my volume on me so please forgive me if I am forgetting something but

spoiler[Natsume's relatives talk about her having a child out of wedlock and he was always afraid to ask more about her because of what they might say

And then there is also a moment where Reiko is telling the youkai that some guy is giving her manjuu and telling her to not stay up in the tree. I was always under the impression this is probably Natsume's grandfather.]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Yes I don't have my volume on me so please forgive me if I am forgetting something but

spoiler[Natsume's relatives talk about her having a child out of wedlock and he was always afraid to ask more about her because of what they might say

And then there is also a moment where Reiko is telling the youkai that some guy is giving her manjuu and telling her to not stay up in the tree. I was always under the impression this is probably Natsume's grandfather.]

I remember something like that too.

I also think it safe to assume that Takashi's mother is Reiko's daughter. During the second Matoba arc, Matoba asks Takashi about his grandmother and then he asks about his mother. If I remember correctly, Takashi answers that his mother didn't have any power and was an ordinary person. That's why I think Natsume's mother is Reiko's daughter.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote

HMM. I'll have to go back on this later.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
In chapter 57 of volume 14 spoiler[Takashi tells Tanuma that Reiko had his mother out of wedlock. No information on the last name, though his father could have been a Natsume as well.]

It is indicated several times that Takashi is as strong as Reiko. To me this indicates that the bloodline has not diminished as it did with the Matobas. If a yokai is not involved, his grandfather may have been from one of the yokai hunter clans.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
@Alan45
You might want to put that under a spoiler tag.

Anyway, yeah, I just went through the chapter and spoiler[confirmed that Natsume is related to Reiko on his mother's side, and that Reiko had his mother without getting married.]

It's been so long since I've read this and I read a lot of manga throughout the year so I totally forgot this happened!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3