• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed 3?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
WinG_ZerO_83 wrote:
If you don't like the show then don't watch it

Then how will we know if it improves in the future? For a few episodes near the end, Destiny was looking like it might do that. It didn't, but it very well could've had the production staff managed to pull their heads out of certain dark places. And then what? I'd have missed out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then how will we know if it improves in the future? For a few episodes near the end, Destiny was looking like it might do that. It didn't, but it very well could've had the production staff managed to pull their heads out of certain dark places. And then what? I'd have missed out.

looks like in your heart you like the show because i never finish or watch the show that i don't like. Unless your one of those people, if you watched the first Ep, you have to finish entire show no matter what.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, in this case it was more my self-imposed plan to eventually see every major Gundam series to completion, for better or for worse. At least now with Destiny out of the way, things are only looking up for the time being, because I still have X, Turn-A, and Victory to get through.

Also, I get extremely annoyed by the fanboys of awful shows that go around copping an attitude with people that didn't like the show and gave up on it. You know, the whole "well YOU'RE just impatient and shallow and didn't wait for the GOOD part around episode #!" crap. I've trudged through a few awful series (Love Hina, Gungrave, Abenobashi) partially because I knew they had these kinds of fans and I wanted to take away a major part of their ego when conversing with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
WinG_ZerO_83 wrote:
PS how bout we stop the Sunrise Bashing and appricate the MANY LONG & HARD HOURS that the animators and prodution staff put in to their work not to mention BANDAI for the dub.

You know, you say "MANY LONG & HARD HOURS" but considering the incredible amount of stock footage that was re-used again and again (i.e. attacks and the plethora of flashback episodes...why did we need to be updated every 7 episodes?), I don't think they worked nearly as hard as you would like to believe. It was more like a cut and paste job to make more money.

Nagisa wrote:
Also, I get extremely annoyed by the fanboys of awful shows that go around copping an attitude with people that didn't like the show and gave up on it. You know, the whole "well YOU'RE just impatient and shallow and didn't wait for the GOOD part around episode #!" crap. I've trudged through a few awful series (Love Hina, Gungrave, Abenobashi) partially because I knew they had these kinds of fans and I wanted to take away a major part of their ego when conversing with them.

I second that. I enjoy talking about series postivley or negativley, and taking away that "you didn't stick around for when it got good" defense is both really nice and also crushes most of the argument that particular person has for the series they happen to enjoy.
Mroni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Well I realise to some people here i am going to commit blasphemy but I like seed alot better than the original gundam series and zeta gundam is horrid. In seed the focus is on the characters not the crappy newtype powers that some people have. In Seed there is a definitive race war going and this makes the plot alot more interesting. The only way they could ruin seed this next time around would be to talk about Newtypes or some crap. Coincidentally my second favorite gundam is wing followed by Turn A. Bring on more seed less Zeta.

Mr Oni
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
Mroni wrote:
Well I realise to some people here i am going to commit blasphemy but I like seed alot better than the original gundam series and zeta gundam is horrid. In seed the focus is on the characters not the crappy newtype powers that some people have. In Seed there is a definitive race war going and this makes the plot alot more interesting. The only way they could ruin seed this next time around would be to talk about Newtypes or some crap. Coincidentally my second favorite gundam is wing followed by Turn A. Bring on more seed less Zeta.

Mr Oni

And Zeta Gundam didn't focus on charaters? Didn't SEED have an immense focus on Coordinators and the fact that Kira was one, just like how the characters in Zeta focus on Kamille's growing Newtype abilities? Wasn't the One Year War also a 'race war'? A group of people believing they are superior and therefore waging war. The Coordinators and ZAFT pretty much play the same role as Zeon and their belief in Newtypes being the next step for humans. I find it strange that what you find in SEED you don't see in Zeta.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:14 am Reply with quote
So, when do we start sending checks to Studio Bones to create a miltary mecha epic?

Seriously folks, in case you haven't notice, the talent pool at Sunrise RAN DRY when the key folks responsible for Cowboy Bebop left to create Studio Bones. Gundam Seed is probably the most graphic illustration of this.

Bones proved with Rahxephon that they can play on a level right at heavy hitters like Gainax and Production IG. Now I think it's time they took on the old boss in his own stomping ground.

If Gundam is beyond saving as a franchise (and so long as Hirai creates characters and Ookawara the mecha, it is) then we need a new freaking franchise.

And none of this "I'm more existentialist than thou" bullshit, either. I want guns, battles, operatic movements, epic proportions, grandiose characters, and more starships and mecha than you can shake a stick at.

Hmm.... think they'd let Leiji Matsumoto write, Hajime Katoki design, and Shoji Kawamori direct?
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:46 am Reply with quote
And just when I thought that the SEEDlings weren't capable of sinking any lower.

Spotlesseden wrote:
looks like in your heart you like the show because i never finish or watch the show that i don't like.

For the sake of the children, stop Posting.

Mroni wrote:
I like seed alot better than the original gundam series and zeta gundam is horrid. In seed the focus is on the characters not the crappy newtype powers that some people have. In Seed there is a definitive race war going and this makes the plot alot more interesting.

Your Username is missing an O.

Craeyst Raygal wrote:
If Gundam is beyond saving as a franchise (and so long as Hirai creates characters and Ookawara the mecha, it is) then we need a new freaking franchise.

Okawara actually has talent.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:59 am Reply with quote
How about, instead of a long, drawn out, argument over Okawara's merits, I concede that perhaps his dull and repetitive mecha designs are a result of limited budget?

I'm a huge fan of Katoki, and as much a huge fan of Izubuchi, because in both of them I see near limitless creativity and attention to detail. Okawara's designs just never seem nearly so inspired nor are they as exciting to watch in motion.

Besides, Arrow, you neglected to mention if you thought I had the solution or not. Wink
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:53 am Reply with quote
Mroni wrote:
In seed the focus is on the characters not the crappy newtype powers that some people have. In Seed there is a definitive race war going and this makes the plot alot more interesting.

So...wait, this is actually somewhat contradictory. You want the race war aspect, and yet you reject the race war aspect presented in the classic Gundam series? Wasn't the Federation's paranoia over Amuro Ray being a Newtype (spoiler[and subsequently placing him under house arrest]) just like the Alliance's paranoia over Kira's Coordinator abilities? Sure seemed it, to me. And you say Zeta lacked character development, and yet it went rather intensely into the thoughts and motivations of such characters as Four, Haman, Kamille, Reccoa, and especially Char. Heck, of all the animated Gundam titles, Zeta probably did the most for Char's character development of all of them, spoiler[showing how he came to assume the ideals of his father through his own methods.]

I mean, yeah, some of the characters were pointless and/or obnoxious. But for every Rosamia and Katz that Zeta had, SEED had just as many Lunamarias and Tolles and Stellars.

Mroni wrote:
The only way they could ruin seed this next time around would be to talk about Newtypes or some crap.

Um, actually, SEED does have Newtypes. They've been rather poorly and indirectly addressed, but they are there. spoiler[Mwu la Fllaga and Raww le Klueze were Newtypes, hence their ability to control remote weapons like gunbarrels and funnels (well, before Destiny introduced the "magic dumbing down" computer that allowed Sting & potentially Athrun to use them), as well as sense other people rather psychically. Rey Za Burrel and Astray characters Morgan Chevalier & Prayer Reverie are similarly SEED-era Newtypes, and Kira seems to have become one himself by way of utter plot contrivance.]

TranceLimit174 wrote:
The Coordinators and ZAFT pretty much play the same role as Zeon and their belief in Newtypes being the next step for humans. I find it strange that what you find in SEED you don't see in Zeta.

Well, the thing is though, Zeta was more about a reaction to a corrupt government than a race war. The Zabis emphasized the Newtype "master race" theory, but Commodore Hymem and his cronies (Om, Daningham, etc.)—and later Scirocco acting mostly on his own—just sought to use postwar tensions to garner excess influence for themselves (rather like certain modern governments are alleged to have done Wink ).

Last edited by Nagisa on Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:57 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Seriously folks, in case you haven't notice, the talent pool at Sunrise RAN DRY when the key folks responsible for Cowboy Bebop left to create Studio Bones.

Dunno, I think Planetes, Ryvius and Turn-A Gundam are darn good stuff, and they were made after the Bebop people had left. (But then, Sunrise is also doing Cluster Edge which is, though somewhat interesting in its primitive way, a Gundam Wing for beginner bishounen fangirls.)

I just can't picture Bones doing a show like Gundam. Yes, they did Rahxephon (and Kenran Butousai and Eureka 7) but those are not war dramas like Gundam (that is, like Gundam ought to be). Kenran Butousai and Eureka 7 are fun adventure stuff, and while I haven't seen Rhaxephon, from all the comparison to Evangelion it doesn't seem like a military mecha epic.
Mroni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:33 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Mroni wrote:

Mr Oni

And Zeta Gundam didn't focus on charaters? Didn't SEED have an immense focus on Coordinators and the fact that Kira was one, just like how the characters in Zeta focus on Kamille's growing Newtype abilities? Wasn't the One Year War also a 'race war'? A group of people believing they are superior and therefore waging war. The Coordinators and ZAFT pretty much play the same role as Zeon and their belief in Newtypes being the next step for humans. I find it strange that what you find in SEED you don't see in Zeta.

There is a very big difference between coordinators and newtypes. Coordinators are a product of science like creating a better type of person. Coordinators think they are better than naturals when in reality they are still just people. Newtypes are better than regular people something about peoples minds being opened up by space or some shit. with coordnitors and naturals the line is very clear cut. With newtypes you don't know who is one they have to come into their magic psychic powers or some crap. In the first gundam series newtypes are rumored to exist and a small group of newtypes think they are superior. Zeon is not fighting a war to prove newtypes are better than old types. As for Zeta here is what I get out of it.

1.Horrible artwork worse than the original which was 5 years older.
2.Unlikeable characters with little plot development. Did anybody actually want to see more of amuro. dear god he's still whining. Becky or whatever amuro 2s name is I have to admit he gets better than amuro.

3.Char droning on and on about how old types need to open their minds.

4. A horrid ending fight scene where the people fighting are using more magic powers and the spirits of dead people than if the show was called magic voodoo girl gundam.

There is no comparison of these shows any similarities are superficial one is a masterpiece the other is like a brown spot in a festering pair of George Bushes underwear. Seed you can watch over and over and feel the characters. Zeta the amount of cheesy crap dialogue in 10 seconds of it will make you want to play in traffic.

Mr Oni
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:08 am Reply with quote
Okay, now be prepared to get torn to pieces.

Mroni wrote:
Newtypes are better than regular people something about peoples minds being opened up by space or some shit.

Not only are you a crude ignoramous, but Newtypes are not "better" than people at all: Hell, the Newtype myth is shattered eventually.

Mroni wrote:
3.Char droning on and on about how old types need to open their minds.

Char is Right.

Mroni wrote:
A horrid ending fight scene where the people fighting are using more magic powers and the spirits of dead people than if the show was called magic voodoo girl gundam.

The Bio-Sensor Scenes were Epic.

Whereas Rau & Shinn got screwjobbed.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
Mroni wrote:
Zeon is not fighting a war to prove newtypes are better than old types.

You obviously didn't pay very much attention to the series. Or at least to anything Gihren Zabi said. Or that anyone said in response to his ideals.

Mroni wrote:
2.Unlikeable characters with little plot development. Did anybody actually want to see more of amuro. dear god he's still whining.

You complain about Amuro whining? What about Athrun? He was so grief-stricken over not knowing what to do that it took him thirty episodes to finally act, at least Amuro had the sense to actually get up off his ass and seek out the answers he wanted instead of Athrun's sitting around moping until it nearly literally kills him. And what about Kira? Were it not for the attempted spoiler[Lacus assassination,] he'd have just stayed on that beach, kept staring out like a mentally affected person, and pretty much did nothing but whine himself.

And if you wish to compare both first series, the line between Kira and Amuro becomes even less clear. They both pull many of the exact same stunts, and where one works himself to the brink of utter exhaustion out of stress, the other makes himself easy prey to manipulative women over much the same thing. It's awfully unfair of you to accuse one and blindly overlook the obvious actions of the other.

Mroni wrote:
Becky or whatever amuro 2s name is I have to admit he gets better than amuro.

Huh? What the hell?

Mroni wrote:
4. A horrid ending fight scene where the people fighting are using more magic powers and the spirits of dead people than if the show was called magic voodoo girl gundam.

As opposed to ending scenes where spoiler[we take five minutes out of real life so a dead naked girl can float around with no...apparent relevance to anything (seeing as she's dead and he's not hearing it anyway; it's all some utter alternate universe imagination nonsense that has no bearing on anything actually going on in the story--and yes, Fukuda has admitted this himself).] Or an ending where spoiler[all of the characters act completely contrary to how they were written the rest of the series, the villains lose a completely one-sided battle, and we have a nice, cuddly family moment with people whose relationship was never clearly outlined, but who clearly could not be family from what was (again) established much earlier in the series.] Kamille spoiler[tapping into a mental anomaly,] or "main character" Shinn spoiler[getting wasted within the first ten minutes and crying about everything because nothing about his character changed.] Gee, I think I'll take Kamille because, though it is cheesy by 2000 standards, at least it was more competently written and brings closure to the story. At least it made sense, unlike damn near anything going on in Destiny's conclusion.

Mroni wrote:
Zeta the amount of cheesy crap dialogue in 10 seconds of it will make you want to play in traffic.

How do you know? By many of your previous comments (who the hell is "Becky: Amuro 2?"), you barely paid any attention to the series and tossed it out after watching all of 2 randomly-selected episodes.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Ok, now for my two cents Very Happy First let me say this is a very good thread, best I've read here in a while, lots of back and forth and also lots of conflict Twisted Evil

Now for the Seed!

Seed was good in my opinion. Yes it used a lot of plot themes from other Gundam series but has anyone here watched any other anime lately? There has not been an original idea in anime sence about 1990. Seed's mecha looked good and as a whole the story stuck together and finished out.

Now for Destiny!

...I have to agree with most of the people here, the world would be a better place without Destiny. It really is the same story with a few changes, Look at the ending! It's the same battle scene form seed. It had a strong opening but I guess they ran out of money and had the janatorial staff finish up the end Laughing
\

A Third Seed series would have to have some really new ideas and some really inovative mecha designs.

ok...let the bashing continue
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8