• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Turning 100

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:

Several things: First off, the actual price is now $39.99 for this set. Second, the set is actually 8 Discs. Third, all episodes have the japanese audio included with them. Fourth, many deletes scenes from the original dub were restored. Scenes in the deleted section are just simply deleted scenes because there was no english audio track(dialog wise) for the scenes. So Manga couldn't exactly restore them. Other than that, that's pretty much right.

Oops, you're right. The episodes that I watched, I watched subtitled, but since the back of the box said they were all in English, I thought that only a few of the episodes were subbed. And yeah, there's 8 discs but I didn't think to change that from the info I copied from. So, thanks!

I liked the episode with the baby elephant. Anime cry I almost cried when it was rubbing against a tree trunk thinking it was its mom. It was sooo cute.

Also, I have to apologize if I just sounded rude at all in my post, but I just thought I'd post out a few mistakes, that's all.

And I guess you weren't the only one who liked that episode =P.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
From what I've seen of it, Angelic Layer is incredibly predictable. BUT, it's very well-told to the point where though you know what's going to happen, you want to watch it anyway. Basically the quality that makes a series rewatchable- the fact that you already know what's going to happen doesn't diminish the story quality.

I think King of Bandit Jing is kinda similar. Yes, if you really want to, you could look at is as repetative. But on the other hand, it tends to be very creative within the framework it gives itself, and half the fun is just waiting to see what twist it'll put on things this time. Also, while it does tend to be episodic, you do get multipart short story arcs, and I'd say that the final one more than makes up for any apparently lack of an overarching theme (outside of Jing being the King of Bandits) earlier on.

Finally, I want to toss in my two cents on the Final Fantasy. FF:U is not a film version of FF7. FF:U is not a copy of any FF game, in fact. Practically every FF game/spinoff that has been released since 7 other than direct sequels has gotten a mixed reception by fans. Why? Because each FF is different, a different story, a different style. Many people dislike one or more of the games after 7 because of this, not to mention Spirits Within and so forth. However, one must realize that part of the uniqueness of the franchise is that each installment IS different (exception when Square finally caved to the fans' pressure and made a FF7 sequel). Granted, not everything will suit everyone's tastes, but I think people would be able to better enjoy the series more if they take that into consideration, not trying to compare everything to whatever their favorite installment in the series happens to be.

With that said, FF:U is a very unique anime, and not to everyone's tastes. It's not without action, but action isn't necessarily the main focus. It has a peculiar animation style, that if you look at it from the assumption it was done deliberately is actually kinda neat. The plot isn't necessarily for everyone, but that's true of virtually any anime. But really, the greatest problem FF:U is saddled with is the fact that it's a FF title, and that means people make assumptions, and thus like any other FF title judge it by the rest of the franchise and not on its own. But if you don't take it too seriously, more of a sidestory with a twist, it can definitely be enjoyable. Besides, I think FF7 fulfilled the FF series' drama/angst quotiant right then and there, do we really need more?

Also, it's a thought of mine after seeing the entire series, that the main character is not Ai and Yu and company, but rather Kumo. Which gives the series an entirely different meaning.
CloakBass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
```````````````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
From what I've seen of it, Angelic Layer is incredibly predictable. BUT, it's very well-told to the point where though you know what's going to happen, you want to watch it anyway. Basically the quality that makes a series rewatchable- the fact that you already know what's going to happen doesn't diminish the story quality.

Very true.

While watching AL, I couldn't help but grumble at the predictable nature of its storyline; Misaki's rise in the ranks, her eventual rival and the series' ending. However, for some reason, I kept at it, even though I predicted the results for most of the contests. Of course, the showrunners threw in a twist or two I wasn't expecting. I was surprisingly happy they did that because it increased my enjoyment of the show. The relationships of the shows characters and how they're resolved is what ultimately kept me watching.

However, I haven't felt the need to re-watch it a second time; gave the set away to my my younger cousins. But that's not a knock against the show. I rarely re-watch any anime, as it is, unless it's something I absolutely love.
TheShadow99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
I'll have to be the fourth to suggest Angelic Layer... It's very much the Shoujo take on the (now classic) shonen tournament formate, however that doesn't mean it isn't interesting... Shonen tournament format is pretty limiting and predictable (the hero will always win when it counts, often the hero is the child of a 'legendary' figure within said tournament, etc), Just look at MAR or any of the various card game promoting series'... The thing that sets Angelic Layer apart is it's more emotional and character building (rather than power building) take on the idea. That's what makes it more interesting than normal (I appreciate AL more than any of the Shoenn titles)...

Heck I'm awfully tempted to show AL at the convention I help run. I was the head fo video, now I'm the vice chair... Either way I can get anything shown I really want... Wink Locally their seem to be alot more women into anime than men, so it actually makes alot of sense...
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

On Eva Platinum--I'm not sure if the thinpak is worth buying if you have the old DVDs. . .sure, it has the restored audio & video + the Director's Cut episodes, but it lacks all of the other cool extras in the Platinum single releases. Of course, if you're buying Eva for the first time, it's a good buy.
It's absolutely worth it for the remastered video and 5.1 alone, doubly so if price or shelf space are major factors.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
CloakBass wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

Oops, you're right. The episodes that I watched, I watched subtitled, but since the back of the box said they were all in English, I thought that only a few of the episodes were subbed. And yeah, there's 8 discs but I didn't think to change that from the info I copied from. So, thanks!

I liked the episode with the baby elephant. Anime cry I almost cried when it was rubbing against a tree trunk thinking it was its mom. It was sooo cute.

Wait... you didn't actually watch all the episodes?! I guess I can't blame you, especially considering the quantity of anime reviewed in this column, but now I'm curious... What were the procedures you went through when reviewing all these boxsets? How do you normally review things?

;p I wasn't going to watch 51 episodes, so I watched the first disc, the 3rd disc, the 5th disc, and the 7th disc. I figure if I didn't figure out what was happening in one of the discs, then I was missing something and had to go back and watch the missing discs.

With most of the boxsets, I've already seen all the episodes, because I watched them all when they came out on fat DVD. But with some of the series (like Chrono Crusade and DNAngel), I never got around to reviewing the later volumes because by the time I watched them, the thinpaks had already come out. So that's what inspired me to do this thinpak edition-- partially to show people what was out there, and also to kind of make up for not finishing reviewing some of the series ^^;

The ones that I didn't watch in their completion on regular DVD (sadly, only like, 3), I watched all the episodes if they captivated me, and every other disc if they didn't. Needless to say, it ate up most of my Christmas break.

There's a few holes in the column though, I have to admit. I forgot a thinpak or two, so I'll be throwing them in later ones, and I wasn't able to put in any of the Bandai thinpaks because they didn't send any to me so I wasn't sure of their selection, but I might slide them into later columns as well.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Bamboo on her 100th column.

Now she just has to write 129 more to catch up with me Cool

Just kidding. Seriously congratulations.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I only saw one episode of Happy Lesson, but it seemed pretty good to me. Maybe it just works better in little bits?

And I saw all of Eden's Bowy. (My dad plays Oltran in the dub!) I liked it a bit . . . it's one of those series that you wish had more fans, but can easily see why it doesn't. XP
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
2006 already? Goodness, time goes by way too fast. I think I first started noticing the quick passage of time when I realized that for the first time in years, I don’t know anybody still going to school at my old high school. It’s a weird feeling, thinking back to how much time has passed, remembering when you sat in the same chair so many years ago, unable to comprehend what life would be like in a few years.
How about going to your old school only to fine it has been reduced to a weed infested empty lot because not enough students were available to go to it and the building fell into disrepair so badly it was eventually condemned and pulled down. Crying or Very sad

Congrats on passing 100. May you live long enough for the next 100. Wink
Zakuro1208

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Congrats! Smile Lovely Column!

Ill definatly be entering the Grocery thing. ^-^ I think it'll be fun!! :3
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just wow. Look at all these huggable thinpaks.

Even I and my ever-starved budget will be able to afford at least two of them immediately, and I already have Evangelion thinpak -- it's the best Eva release Evar, except if you buy the Platinum single DVD's. Wink

A great 100th Column, Bamboo/Sakechan, and thank you for showing me the Light of many of those thinpak boxsets covered in one column. Smile
CloakBass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kaleido Star is simultaneously one of the most overlooked and best series released in recent years.
<snip>
I’m definitely in the minority here, but I’ve never really thought Slayers was funny. Everything was also so goofy and so campy that I ended up rolling my eyes more than rolling on the floor.

I agree with both 100%
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
From what I've seen of it, Angelic Layer is incredibly predictable.

I think King of Bandit Jing is kinda similar. Yes, if you really want to, you could look at is as repetative.

Not worth getting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4