• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2013-08-21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Im 22, I started watching anime by watching samurai pizza cats before preschool, renting ranma 1/2 and street fighter in Kindergarten, watching pokemon in 2nd grade, and watching toonami. All this before I was 10. Am I one of the young'uns in this case? Anime hyper
Raneth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
This strip--and thread--is great.

I'm 26 and got into anime right before the boom hit--so around 97-98? I couldn't afford them, but I had a friend who used to buy the DBZ VHS tapes and would tell me all about the cool stuff that was coming up, like Trunks and Cell. This was during the eternal reruns of the Frieza saga on Cartoon Network. I was also a Pokemon FANATIC. Pretty much the epitome of a Poke`kid. My friend was more into Gundam Wing, and used to make fun of me for being immature. Laughing

It was DBZ and Pokemon that got me into anime, but it was Trigun that cemented my love for the medium. I remember sitting on the couch with my friends on New Year's, marathoning the first half of the show on DVD. The next week was spent hunting down the rest of it. Ever since Trigun, I started following anime releases via magazines, and later the internet. I also remember being a huge fan of Zoids: Chaotic Century on Toonami.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Probably so, Public, 24 and still going...lol.

All I can say, the 90's were just good times for me, that is all. :3
(But yeah, we know times change, and have to adapt it, lol.)
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, those were the days. Didn't relive ALL of them, but I experienced enough of them.

31. My first anime programs were the stuff Nickelodeon showed in the mid to late 80s before I knew any of it was anime. Earliest exposure, while realizing I was actually watching anime, was a few articles and ads in an animation magazine and Dragon Ball with the original Ocean Studios dub. I thought the show was pretty stupid...but I couldn't stop watching for some reason. Robot Carnival and Vampire Hunter D on Cartoon Network came around the same time, but it wasn't until the boom during the late 90s that got me hooked. I'll never be as big of a fan now as I used to be, but I'll never stop watching.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
As I've been reading (and enjoying; nice to know I'm not the only "geezer" around) this tread, I can't help but wonder if anime fandom generations are a little bit on the quick side, perhaps 5-7 years. I mean, you have the 80s generation, the early 90s, the late 90s (me), the early 2000s, the late 2000s, and now the current generation (I'm overgeneralizing, I'm sure). What this does is it creates new waves of fandom that go crazy over the new trends, which end up replacing the older ones.

This is why, despite being only around 30, we "feel so old." It's because not only has anime left us behind, but it's done so at least 2-4 times already, and it's becoming harder to stay "relevant." Maybe some of you are better at it than I am, but I haven't bothered "keeping up" with anime for over a year now, and even when I was, I'd end up behind anyway, so I stopped trying. There seems to be very little that comes out lately that really excites me anymore, at least the same way it did ten years ago. Am I crazy?

I mean, think about this: The first season of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is SEVEN YEARS OLD! Full Metal Panic! is TEN YEARS OLD! So is the first Fullmetal Alchemist series! All of these shows that seem so "new-fangled" are hitting double digits already, if not in a few years. It all just seems to be blowing past me so quickly.

Maybe it's a part of "growing up." I'm not the 16-year-old-who-gets-his-homework-done-at-school-so-his-mom-can't-stop-him-from-watching-Toonami anymore, and I've lost that youthful vigor that compelled me to sit through even the some real lame series. My time feels so limited now, so I don't want to take the chance on a new anime series I don't know I'll like. Is this what "growing up" is about? Because it kind of sucks. They should of warned us about this in elementary school.

This isn't to say I don't think anime is in a bad position, it's just obviously not catering to me anymore (or at least not very often), which I guess could be another sign that I'm getting old, sorta like this one.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
You're quite likely onto something, BJ Waters, but if you are, then I'm probably one of the exceptions that proves the rule.

Here I am in my early thirties, and my wife and I are as big of anime fans as ever. I don't know if it's because both of us being fans has reinforced our fandom where if we had held different interests I might have been pulled away from it, or if it's because we both like moe which a lot of folks that got into anime the same time I did seem to hate, but I'm watching nearly a dozen shows this season.

Maybe I just went too far down the rabbit hole in my youth, but I have a hard time imagining my life without anime fandom. It's become almost an ingrained part of who I am at this point. I'm probably going to end up one of those strange old dudes wandering around the convention in an old faded con shirt from the nineties looking vaguely confused. *sigh* Oh well, at least I won't be alone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Just turned 37 this past Sat (8/17), and can fondly remember pretty much everything in this strip... changing Usagi's rice balls into Serena's donuts being a prime example...

Man, I feel old... Surprised

And if someone has to explain to you what the initials KOR stand for, well, I envy your likely being younger than I, but also recommend you whippersnappers check out a classic like Kimagure Orange Road (might be hard to do since the DVDs are sadly out of print...got TV discs 3-12, the 2 OVA discs & 1st movie disc when AnimEigo was clearing them out at $6 a disc as their license was set to expire (I'd had the 1st 2 discs for a while prior).)
daughterofashes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm an old lady then at 32.

This brings me back. I even remember renting Tenchi VHS tapes from my comic book store for $1 a day. They would only let you have one at a time....and guess who was at the comic book story every day for about 2 weeks.

This strip is definitely right about one thing. New fans today have no idea how good they have it. I remember buying DBZ and Rurouni Kenshin DVD's (back when DVD's were new) for $20-40 a disc and they'd have 1-4 episodes and you'd happily hand over your money.

Nowadays you're getting whole seasons or whole series for that amount of money, on DVD/Blu-ray combo packs in limited edition boxes with gifts from Rightstuff! But if you don't want to pay that it's fine too because it's steaming for free on Hulu.

If you'd told me 10 years ago that I'd ever be able to watch a fully subtitled show the same day it aired in Japan (legally) I'd think you were crazy...But we're here. Smile
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
Everything moves at a faster pace nowadays Very Happy

I'm in the UK and DSL wasn't available till the year 2000 and was at first out of most's price range it's really only been affordable for about 10 years while fibre is taking off and in some cases is cheaper than DSL already. And remember before DSL downloading an anime was not realistic.

Youtube isn't even 9 years old and DVD only came out in 1996 and wasn't affordable till the legendary Samsung DVD-807 in 1999.

Being an anime fan before 1999 was very expensive with a take what you can get rather than pick what you want mentality.

Especially since it was very rare for TV series to be picked up leaving OVA's and Movies as most people's only option.
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone! I used to have my own string on here years ago called "Hard to be an older anime fan." I used it as a platform to both discuss my own problems with being a longtime anime fan as well as giving others in the same situation a place to discuss them as well. To put it in perspective, I am 41 and have been an anime fan for over 20 years. When I was in the anime club (Anime Discovery Project) at the University of Washington back in the early 1990's, all we had were a scant few legitimate releases on VHS and the rest were "semi-legal" fansubs. For us, we went to the nearby Tower Records to find the newest releases also on VHS. The first anime convention I went to still exists today but under a different name: out with Baka-con and in with Sakuracon! In short, I am him in spades. If I were able to have met Robin at the last Sakuracon, she may have found this out for herself.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I remember that KOR wall scroll!!!

What? Nobody else? Don't tell me nobody remembers that wall scroll?! Very Happy

Paul Soth wrote:
36, old enough to remember finding R-rated Streamline and UK Manga Corps releases buried in the children's' section of video stores. And naturally these were the releases that were punched-up with excessive amounts of profanity in order to prove that this "wasn't kids stuff," just to go along with the violence and occasional nudity these old releases would contain.

Or sometimes located in the "secret section" that video stores still had back then. Y'know, the one behind the curtain so nobody --who doesn't already know-- could see what's behind it. Ya don't see that anymore. Wink

daughterofashes wrote:

This brings me back. I even remember renting Tenchi VHS tapes from my comic book store for $1 a day. They would only let you have one at a time....and guess who was at the comic book story every day for about 2 weeks.

Ours let us borrow 20-25 at a time for around $50, to be returned "a week or whenever reasonable, as soon as you can manage" (obviously there's no late fees). How do ya think we got thru all those Ranma 1/2 tapes! Cool

Ushio wrote:

I'm in the UK and DSL wasn't available till the year 2000 and was at first out of most's price range it's really only been affordable for about 10 years while fibre is taking off and in some cases is cheaper than DSL already. And remember before DSL downloading an anime was not realistic.

That's why we were in bbs, mailing lists, or newsgroups and used uuencoding to transmit large binary files. Laughing

Ushio wrote:

Youtube isn't even 9 years old and DVD only came out in 1996 and wasn't affordable till the legendary Samsung DVD-807 in 1999.

And the legendary Apex DVD player that back in 2000 "acquired some amount of fame when it was discovered that they contained a secret menu screen that allowed the user to circumvent regional lockout and Macrovision's copy protection. This feature was put in by the Chinese company that manufactured the device which Apex packaged, and Apex said they had no prior knowledge of it. Apex quickly discontinued the model with the secret menu, but the player became a hot item on eBay, which led Macrovision to step in and have eBay ban sale of the player, citing the Digital Millennium Copyright Act."

Anybody who was into anime DVDs at that early time had an Apex.

WWAanimefan wrote:

When I was in the anime club (Anime Discovery Project) at the University of Washington back in the early 1990's, all we had were a scant few legitimate releases on VHS and the rest were "semi-legal" fansubs.

Arctic Fansubs too, I bet. Laughing
(Justin Sevakis is mentioned there as well.)

• Animeraider gave us this detailed response on the origins of fansubbing. All the writing below is a quote from Animeraider:

Yes, it was mostly we handful of crazies. We all knew each other – or at least we knew each other by our handles (mine hasn’t changed). We subbed them ourselves and traded what we had done for VHS tapes of what others had done. I still have a few hundred of those. The most prolific was Arctic Anime, which ran out of a rental shop and introduced some great shows to us....

At about the same time some people I know started noticing Shoujo and how it wasn’t represented in the US at all, and they started subbing a few great magical girl shows – specifically Hime-chan no Ribon. There were groups who put out things fast, like Arctic (the Horrible-subs of their day) and those who took their time to be sure they got everything right, like Tomodachi and TechnoGirls. There was a code back then as well – if a show got licensed you stopped subbing. We wanted to support the industry.

I think that’s what has happened with Mr. Sevakis – the fansubbers of today don’t follow the code. He wanted to support the American companies who paid a lot of money for the rights to their shows (and they don’t come cheap – $5K per episode was the launching point 10 years ago). Now I don’t know Sevakis and have never met him, but I imagine that this is where he’s coming from. I myself stopped collecting subs years ago for this very reason. It also helps to speak the language, but hey…

Alas, the show I was after all along (Minky Momo) never developed, thanks in part to a very complicated licensing issue involving Hong Kong. I still have right of first refusal to a great Magical Girl anime – but I no longer have the money to make it happen and so would happily surrender that right should someone else pick it up.

(hint, hint)

OK here guys, take the old, old......... old "Otaku-ness Purity Test"!
(It's so old, it's still hosted on Tripod, remember those?)
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote
My God. I'm turning 30 NEXT WEEK. Wild. I think my beard's just about the same too.

And, for me, I'd say more like 14ish years. Been to every Otakon since 2000, remember buying my first four VHS copies of Neon Genesis Evangelion there. Thirty bucks each. Subs only. Man, how time flies.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
I'm 23, but I've been actively watching anime for over 10 years now(by actively I mean I knew what anime was and went out of my way to watch it).

This comic hits a weird place for me. I mostly watch older stuff, but I'm too young to have been around for the VHS days.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
I had to laugh at that one. 30 is the new 60. For awhile he had me going until he said 30. It's like he jumped from one OS extreme to something new. But yeah, I guess your old Sailor Moon syndicated on TV would be as old as it gets. But he's no dino when compared to those that got on the anime scene during the Fred Patten days.

I'm 44 so I'm part of the new age of dinos who grew up watching Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets and (while I never watched it) Star Blazers. I knew that it was different from watching Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo. You could barely tear me away from the TV in the morning for school or my rushing home to see Mark, Jason, Princess, Tiny & Keyop fight the forces of Spectra and their "monster-of-the-day" every day. By my HS years it was Voltron. The lion brigade was far more popular than the 13 vehicle Voltron. Lets not forget those those 3 damn robots toys; 1 of which was called Voltron II that never made an appearance. WTF!! Shocked

Later, I was introduced to the anime clubs in NYC. My first exposure; and seeing that these places were run by a bunch of men in their early 30's and 40's. Some still living at home while others held good paying jobs in the city. They'd meet every 3rd week of the month and screen tv shows such as Orguss, Gundam, L-Gaim, Dirty Pair and the occasional OVA treat. The first OVAs I had seen there were Prefectural Earth Defense force, Dallos, Iczer-1, and Outlanders. They'd start the session, break for lunch and then resume until the afternoon's end. They even had booths set up where guys sold Hobby Link Japan models and anime artbooks. I bought many of my Iczer-1 artbooks from them. Some of the younger attendees would visit the St. Marks Comics store down the block during the intermission. They were located in the heart of St. Marks St in NYC. Which at this time has changed greatly. After working for the School of Visual Arts so long I would later become surprised at how close all these places were from each other.

Then you had Tokyo Video a facility located in uptown NYC where much of the club usually rented their shows from. It was one of the first establishments where you could rent any Japanese TV show provided they had it. They even copied new OVAs for you for a price. They eventually became reluctant of renting to non-Japanese because of theft. So they put in place a policy that if you rent something you had to put down a $15 deposit. This fee only applied to non-Japanese. Laughing There were 2 Zen Bookstores. The first didn't like catering to non-Japanese, and the owner was pretty rude to non-Japanese cluttering up his store and talking loudly about the anime related things. I had no problem with him yet I was unaware of this behavioral news. While the 2nd branch later changed it's name to Books Nippon. I had a good relationship with them as far as buying stuff. I bought my first imported cassette tape from them; Domion Tank Police. The first used to be located on 44th and 5th Avenue not far from Rockefeller Center, and the 2nd was located a block from the DGA (Director's Guild of America). Of course you had Kinokuniya which used to be across from the ice skating rink. I miss it being there and have yet to visit the new location. The Zens, Tokyo Video are long gone.

By the time I got to college, I had a pretty decent grasp of anime and manga and later met people from the Phillidelphia anime clubs run by a guy who knew the folks from the NYC chapter. He'd been on the scene far longer. His days go back to era of the pump action BB guns, Green Hornet, Gerry Anderson, Astro Boy, Gigantor, Jack Benny and possibly Amos and Andy. From him I learned that anime went back deeper. I finally learned about who that 2nd Voltron was, and was shown the series the idea came from; Albegas. He shared his love for the old robot shows and introduced me to Go Nagai, and the hot blooded heroes that came with that era. He was also part of a group of friends who were about teaching people about the shows he loved while growing up, it wasn't always about anime. People he knew in the circle made and shared tapes of anything they had. He hated "anime tape" snobs. That was what I learned attending their clubs, was that there were certain fans who would run off tapes, always touted this statement of "1st gen, 2nd gen" crap. Basically it went like this, if you had a commercial copy of a film that copy was considered the "master". If you run it off for someone it was considered the "1st gen" copy. Keep in mind the recording quality had to be in "SP" for VCRs and Beta-1 for Beta machines. This was the "holy grail" for recording anything on tape for trade. Stuff recorded in "LP" could get a pass if you wanted other films. But anything in SLP nobody wanted because the quality went down. If you gave a person a copy from that 1st gen it later became 2nd gen, and vice versa. Stuff I've seen recorded using Beta-3 still had a pretty high resolution rate when compared to anything recorded using the other settings on a VCR. One guy I knew recorded the entire Dirty Pair OVA series onto one tape using Beta-3 and it still looked good. Surely a technophile could differentiate. I finally realized that Beta was better for recording features since it was more based around archiving. Now if you had access to an LD of that feature, then the copy run off from that would become the "master". Because LD recordings supersede anything recorded on a VHS or Beta because of the high resolution rate. So when you go up to someone and for a copy of a feature they had, you had 2 options; A) trade. If they have something you want you run off something they don't have or B) a blank tape. If you picked option A, the next question would be "is it 1st gen or 2nd gen?" It took me a while to understand this craziness. So if you didn't have anything to trade you had the option of giving them a blank tape, but they wouldn't except any old blank it had to be a good quality brand like Fuji, TDK (of the highest quality), Maxell (Metal or Gold) or Panasonic (of the highest). No money was ever excepted, the tape was payment enough. We used to laugh at the tape snobs, but looking back at it today I could in a way see why they made a big deal. They wanted that tape to last. Or they were idiots trying to act all high and mighty about having something you wanted. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything they wanted because I just got started collecting and they acted like they had every film in the book. But if you were a person who cared more about just getting the film then all you said is just record it at the best quality and let's not make a big deal out of it. But look at what happened later. When the age of early digital fansubs came out THEY were utilizing both LD and the now little known S-VHS. So when this new age of anime fans came along and started selling pirated copies of fansubs online they were being run off from those 2 sources. LD was the ultimate and S-VHS became the master for making copies. If the show they were selling was from LD they would state it. If S-VHS was all they had on hand that was considered the highest quality that your "pirated" show came from. So in a way the whole 1st gen thing still existed but without the annoying fanboys. It was a fun time seeing the changes.

By the 90's you pretty much saw where anime was heading. Streamline pictures releases dub of Laputa. Friends are getting to see more raw anime through trader with lots of early Miyazaki and later Akira. Early pirating where vendors sold their wares through mail catalogs and at cons. Same with anime CDs. I still see some guys like this around. Especially for the CDs. I'd pass the table and you run into fans pulling out their list of CDs that they need complete. Yep I was part of that crowd, but as I became more of an anime "snob" myself and decided long ago to replace all my anime CDs with the originals. We finally make it to the early industry to what we know now. To the boom and hopefully back and going forward.

Soon we will all be dinosaurs, because everyone will have a story. Who knows what the anime fans of the torrent age will tell those that will have access to stuff streaming in the "cloud" or whatever. We're already there and who knows where it will go from there.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:00 am Reply with quote
Turned 41 a couple days ago. Had that gut at 30, but it's just about gone now, thank goodness. Loved Starblazers and Robotech as a kid, then in college discovered those 6 heavily edited tapes of the whole Macross saga at Blockbuster, right at the time when Akira, Windaria, Project A-Ko, Guyver and a bunch of other stuff was starting to appear. Nostalgia crashed headlong into a wave of new-and-shiny, and the rest was history.

I remember hanging out on rec.arts.anime.misc in the early and mid-90s and reading about all kinds of stuff I had no way of seeing. I remember debates of Valkyries vs Tie fighters...Cute Wars...the Global Ranma Insanity Thread...even some of the more colorful trolls. I remember grudgingly giving ADV an extra $10 a tape just to avoid their dubs...I remember the furious debates that erupted about whether the DVD format was really an acceptable replacement for LD or not. I remember buying the last Apex player that my local Radio Shack had, and importing Ghibli films that "conventional wisdom" said would *never* be available in the US because of Ghibli's conditions. Conventional wisdom usually turned out to be wrong; "Five Star Stories" was never supposed to get a release either.

Best of all, I found some friends who liked anime too, and we had a lot of really fun Friday evenings together. I could go on and on down memory lane, but this post is getting too long already. Anyway it's been a lot of fun being a fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7