• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-02-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabble

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote
Anyone else notice that the column wasn't twice as long this week, as promised last week?
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Meh, CLAMP peaked around 1997 anyway. When they started two potentially amazing series (Legend of Chun Hyang & Clover), didn't finish them, and then started doing stuff like Legal Drug and Chobits? Yeah, they just ain't what they used to be. The glory days of Tokyo Babylon and X and Card Captor Sakura and Magic Knights Rayearth are pretty much done.

Well, you can't disagree with the fact that Chobits was BIG when it first came out. (How many girls went as Chi for cons?)Even though I'm a big fan of Legal Drug I will agree that it doesn't have as much of a fan base as the other Clamp animes. (Too much shonen ai perhaps?)

Now about the contest, I think this is the best one I've seen, so I salute you and you'll definatly be getting a submition from me Very Happy
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
You know, for the contest, one could conceivably create a plot summary of spoiler[you're not stealing my idea] and take it from there. I'm not sure this would be permissable, however. Only one way to find out, I guess. hehehe

Regarding teen ambitions to create their own anime/manga or whatever - I don't think this is a bad thing or in need of condemnation. I'm fairly sure that almost every successful artist was, at one time, a teenager. Further, as teenagers they probably hoped at least once that their dreams would come true (sappy and corny, sorry, but you know what I mean). You don't get very far by not being optimistic. There's a point at which most people learn that optimism can only take you so far, however, and this usually happens in the later teen years. It's all about growing up. This is why the "How can I get my anime/manga idea published?" question is forever being asked - there's always a fresh batch of teens to ask it.

Maybe a special forum should be set up for aspiring anime/manga creators to learn (in a sticky) what not to do, plus share ideas, get tips on good learning opportunities and direction on where to go for more insight into the business. This way, all such over-eager Answerman askers can be directed shortly and sweetly to that area. I think most people would be happier being sent to that forum than a reply of, "Give it up, you're ignorant, you annoy me and you need to go to school for a long time before even thinking about creating anime/manga."
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
Love the contest... hate the prizes. -_- ah well, I may submit something anyway just for giggles.

Quote:
Regarding teen ambitions to create their own anime/manga or whatever - I don't think this is a bad thing or in need of condemnation. I'm fairly sure that almost every successful artist was, at one time, a teenager. Further, as teenagers they probably hoped at least once that their dreams would come true (sappy and corny, sorry, but you know what I mean). You don't get very far by not being optimistic.

While I know neither is really "encouraged" by answerman, to me there is a HUGE difference between someone asking "how can I get my work published" (like the questioner is a doujinshi creator and doesn't know how to make the next step) and "OMG I HAVE AWSOM IDEA, PLEEZ GET FAMUS ANIME PERSON TO MAK IT!!!" One is having ambition, drive and a wealth of optimism, the other is being an unrealistic fanboy/girl who wants credit without work. I mean, at BARE minimum if you're some psychotic fan with dreams of stardom who can't DRAW, you could at LEAST fully flesh out your story, if you think writing is your strong suit. But then, I'm NOT really a fan of fanfiction.... Rolling Eyes
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
Wow, that letter from the Gundam fan sounds like someone from my anime club. ^_^;;; Though that is very true... it's hard enough finding someone who's just interested in anime in general, you can't expect to like all of the same stuff.

And wow, that first letter really is cliched. Granted a really good writer could possibly make something of a setup like that, but... I can name way too many anime series with same/similar plot devices. Though I see a similar thing come up with webcomics a lot... even though there there are a few genuinely good ideas, a *lot* of webcomics out there could benefit from the authors learning how to write, and taking a class in sequential art wouldn't hurt things at all.

Quote:
But then, I'm NOT really a fan of fanfiction....

Fanfiction can be a very good way for people to hone their writing skills without needing to create everything from scratch. Many good fic authors will often start with fics very near to the parent series, but later create AUs, epic-length fics, and generally slowly move away from fanfiction and nearer to fleshed-out original writing.

So fanfiction can be useful, just a lot of it is pretty bad. >_>
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah, my message to all "i hvae a idea for a anime!!" aspiring creators: Stick to Fanfiction.net. Besides, aside from all the other problems, why would studios want to animate something that's written in English?

Nagisa wrote:
Meh, CLAMP peaked around 1997 anyway. When they started two potentially amazing series (Legend of Chun Hyang & Clover), didn't finish them, and then started doing stuff like Legal Drug and Chobits? Yeah, they just ain't what they used to be. The glory days of Tokyo Babylon and X and Card Captor Sakura and Magic Knights Rayearth are pretty much done.

Aw, come on, what about Angelic Layer? That was cute and perfectly good (enough)...

AnswerMan wrote:
There's no reason to believe that FUNimation's release will contain the inferior TV version.

Yeah, because no R1 anime DVD release has ever contained an inferior TV version when something better was available, especially not ADV's Sakura Diaries or TRSI's Kare Kano (referring specifically to episode 18--you know what I'm talking about) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I guess I'll be watching the reviews to see what Funi's DVDs are like--however, I don't think people who were disappointed in the Negima anime's story will be awed by the DVD content; as far as I know, it's just some extra panty shots and other etchi content added in.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
The coughing up of blood (Hemoptysis) is one of the major symptoms of Tuberculosis (TB).

Those of us with access to advanced Western medicine probably haven't seen a case of TB, at least nothing that could be considered commonplace. However in the rest of the world, TB is a far more common reality of life.

Thus it would make sense, espically in period pieces to have the "sickly" character have "consumption" TB.

Think Doc Holiday in Tombstone for a Hollywood equlivalent...
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Love the contest... hate the prizes. -_- ah well, I may submit something anyway just for giggles.

Yeah those Trigun boxsets are a complete ripoff.
Kamon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
MTV?! Zac, I'm very disappointed in you. Laughing

DriftRoot wrote:
Regarding teen ambitions to create their own anime/manga or whatever - I don't think this is a bad thing or in need of condemnation. [snip]

As Zac already stated in the article, there is nothing wrong with dreaming. It's when it gets to the point that you're desperately hunting for the phone number/email address for (insert Japanese animation studio here) that it goes beyond the point of being reasonable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Yeah, my message to all "i hvae a idea for a anime!!" aspiring creators: Stick to Fanfiction.net.

Or, if they really, really, REALLY want to try and get it produced for real, try finding other methods of storytelling beyond anime. There's absolutely nothing wrong with appealing to an American animation studio, or trying to form your own studio around the project, or even going the route of comic books and graphic novels...or just regular novels. Hey, what about live-action film or TV? Who knows, maybe the idea you have would actually work better in one of those methods.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
The coughing up of blood (Hemoptysis) is one of the major symptoms of Tuberculosis (TB).

Those of us with access to advanced Western medicine probably haven't seen a case of TB, at least nothing that could be considered commonplace. However in the rest of the world, TB is a far more common reality of life.

Thus it would make sense, espically in period pieces to have the "sickly" character have "consumption" TB.

Think Doc Holiday in Tombstone for a Hollywood equlivalent...

I'm not sure why people are "correcting" me on this when I mention in the column that they might all be dying from consumption.

I've gotten like 3 emails "well actually it might be TB!", like they sent the letter before they finished reading the answer.

It MIGHT be TB all the time but it seems like a hell of a lot of anime characters die from it and it's rarely ever mentioned as actually being TB. Usually the person is just "sick".
Kuroki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But as long as we can watch Lost and Project Runway together, it's all good.

I loved you before, but now I love you on a whole new level Zac.

But what gives? You don't watch Invasion too?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Aw, come on, what about Angelic Layer? That was cute and perfectly good (enough)...

Well, though I've not seen Angelic Layer myself, it is entirely possible for someone on the decline to pop out a good idea or two. It's still entirely possible for CLAMP to churn out a solid hit in this day and age, just as (and it certainly happened) they had a miss or two in their pre-1997 halcyon days. I'm just saying that the overall body of work, the majority, has been lacking (not even saying they're bad per se, just not up to the standards set by their predecessors) when you compare post-'97 to pre-'97.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Meh, the pictures of the prizes stretch the column too wide for my screen, even if I scroll right to get the side menu off the edge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Besides, aside from all the other problems, why would studios want to animate something that's written in English?

It's been done. It's not common, but anime series or films have before been based on English (or other language) stories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6