• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
your favorite gundam is....

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wingfreedomstriker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
Because Strike Freedom is dull?

Is it Because it looks like reincarnations of numerous Gundams from previous series?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
And does nothing different? Yup, you're exactly right.

Not to mention...Kira & ORB. *snore*
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Wingfreedomstriker wrote:
Super Arrow wrote:

Is it Because it looks like reincarnations of numerous Gundams from previous series?

I'd say more because it looks like a slightly uglier Freedom (just say "no" to bellybutton guns), and basically does nothing but spam DRAGOON fire all over the place. Yeah, it was kinda cool the first time, but afterwards it just got old because the suit was too ramped up in power to make any of the battles it was in exciting. Being able to wipe out 50 enemy suits while barely lifting a finger does not make for a very entertaining battle (which, incidentally, was the same reason I couldn't get into many of Wing's battles, but that's another story for another day). At least the original Freedom was still essentially a saber-and-shield fighter with some bonus artillery cannons to make a grand entrance with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Hey now, the Sazabi & Virsago/Virsago Chest Break had awesome torso-based weapons.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:27 am Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:

I agree that the "Gundam" look has been done to death. The simpler Gundams like the EZ-8, Mk-II, and Alex work much better than the gaudier ones for me. Katoki Hajime's versions of the Gundam units illustrate the elegance of simplicity very well. Overall I prefer MS that are more on the traditional Izubuchi style like the Kampher and the Jagd Doga. They have a great 3D design.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, which variation of gundam did you all watch first (start off with)?

i went backwards. First, i remember seeing Gundam SEED on adult swim, and then thinking "wow this is cool." so, i rented endless waltz, and liked that even more. So, i made a point to watch the wing series, and then jumped around. So, im pretty sure i went from most recent backwards....

either way, I still can't forget how cool the heavyarms/wing zero seemed to me the first time i saw them Very Happy actually, i think i should have models of those somewhere in my room....
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
Out of curiosity, which variation of gundam did you all watch first (start off with)?

The first time I actually watched Gundam was the original film trilogy in the early 80s. Although I had a small collection of Gundam toys and books, not to many anime fans had VCRs until around 1982-83. That is compounded by the fact that the series (much like the original Trek) became more popular after it was canceled and the films were released. I think I saw Gundam at Timecon 84 along with Final Yamato and a few other cool films, but it was definately before Zeta was released. When Zeta was released in 1985, Mikado in San Francisco would play nice copies of the newest episodes in front of their store. I had bought my Beta by the time Zeta was released, although it took me a good couple years to track copies down. Since then I've watched each series soon after it's initial release. To put this back on topic, I would say my love for the UC Universe stems from growing up watching it. This might also explain why I'm bored of the traditional Gundam look. Like many First Gundam fans I've really gotten into Gundam Seed. I spent the last two days snapping together four 1/100 Gundam Seed kits!
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
NyuuChan wrote:

The first time I actually watched Gundam was the original film trilogy in the early 80s. Although I had a small collection of Gundam toys and books, not to many anime fans had VCRs until around 1982-83. That is compounded by the fact that the series (much like the original Trek) became more popular after it was canceled and the films were released. I think I saw Gundam at Timecon 84 along with Final Yamato and a few other cool films, but it was definately before Zeta was released. When Zeta was released in 1985, Mikado in San Francisco would play nice copies of the newest episodes in front of their store. I had bought my Beta by the time Zeta was released, although it took me a good couple years to track copies down. Since then I've watched each series soon after it's initial release. To put this back on topic, I would say my love for the UC Universe stems from growing up watching it. This might also explain why I'm bored of the traditional Gundam look. Like many First Gundam fans I've really gotten into Gundam Seed. I spent the last two days snapping together four 1/100 Gundam Seed kits!

glad to know, im not the last one on earth who still enjoys whipping up a few gundam models every now and then. Even people i know who generally dislike anime, can appreciate how cool some of them look.

and i found heavyarms. He was in my closet..poor guy...

and, you might be the best one to ask, but what order is gundam meant to be wateched in? im almost positive i watched them 100% backwards, so i'd like to at least know what order they were intended to go in...(although the only one i watch still frequently is endless waltz. i don't have a clue why, i just LOVE that movie Confused )
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
The Universal Century is the only Timeline with extended continuity and can pretty much be viewed in production order.
Wingfreedomstriker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Super Arrow wrote:

I'd say more because it looks like a slightly uglier Freedom (just say "no" to bellybutton guns), and basically does nothing but spam DRAGOON fire all over the place. Yeah, it was kinda cool the first time, but afterwards it just got old because the suit was too ramped up in power to make any of the battles it was in exciting. Being able to wipe out 50 enemy suits while barely lifting a finger does not make for a very entertaining battle (which, incidentally, was the same reason I couldn't get into many of Wing's battles, but that's another story for another day). At least the original Freedom was still essentially a saber-and-shield fighter with some bonus artillery cannons to make a grand entrance with.

-the Freedom's the Shield and beam entrance is much better than having those two useless guns. He also lost his rail cannons and changed it into those Dragoon systems.(which reminded me of the Providence Gundam and other suits from UC that were mentioned)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
The Universal Century is the only Timeline with extended continuity and can pretty much be viewed in production order.

well, i thanksed you, but for some odd reason my post dissapered again....well, thanks again.

and also, i don't remember the name of the Gundam (red one) piloted in the begining of SEED Destiny, spoiler[that was used to take on Abyss and the other hijacked Gundams]. I always loved that one, for the twin swords he used that connected into one badass double bladed saber.

what was it's official name again?
Wingfreedomstriker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
Super Arrow wrote:

well, i thanksed you, but for some odd reason my post dissapered again....well, thanks again.

and also, i don't remember the name of the Gundam (red one) piloted in the begining of SEED Destiny, spoiler[that was used to take on Abyss and the other hijacked Gundams]. I always loved that one, for the twin swords he used that connected into one badass double bladed saber.

I think you are Reffering to is the Sword Impulse Gundam which is piloted by the main character in the first half of the series.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
Super Arrow wrote:

I think you are Reffering to is the Sword Impulse Gundam which is piloted by the main character in the first half of the series.

yes, just rewatched, it is the impulse. Well...yeah...i like it. Cool Gundam.

Deathscythe Hell Custom = teh secks.
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Shinn? Main Character?

Rolling Eyes

NyuuChan wrote:

Deathscythe Hell > Deathscythe Hell Custom

Buster Shield FTW!
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
Shinn? Main Character?

Rolling Eyes

NyuuChan wrote:

Deathscythe Hell > Deathscythe Hell Custom

Buster Shield FTW!

yes, but i couldn't remember if it was shin or shinn, part of me even thought SHINJI? well, at any rate, i just said Main character....

I don't recall, but was there ever a large scale battle, between both the Deathscythe (preferably Hell) and the God Gundam? Kinda like a Jesus vs. Satan thing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6