• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Adds D.N.Angel TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
That's entirely possible. My set is from 2002, and I know ADV had given up on the practice with later titles. Unfortunately, a quick look at the ANN encyclopedia suggests that those Nadesico re-releases are pretty much out of stock with the usual go-to sellers.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
Last I checked DN Angel DVDs were still fairly easy to come by, guess it's been a while since I checked. I'll only buy it if it's pretty cheap, or has a good new dub, because much as I love ADV and most of the voice actors that worked on DN Angel, that is one dub I just can't stand.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
I had no idea there was a call for it. It's one of my lowest regarded completed shows. Five years ago it made my bottom 5 "worst" shows list (well overtaken by others now). Not that it's all bad, but it went nowhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
Section 23 didn't sell this off, or any licenses. Generally their contracts prevent them from doing that. Even CPM couldn't sell off it's licenses. The best it could do was sign distribution agreements with ADV and Right Stuf prior to it's bankruptcy. They've simply been letting licenses lapse as they expire, rather than reacquiring them.

DN Angel was definitely expired. The last release was a couple years ago and its final run on Anime Network was over a year ago. It has since been pulled from the listings on their website. Not to mention their license would be nearly 8 years old as this point, and most expire at 5-7 years, depending on the title. They would have had to renew it already if they still had it.

Nadesico is almost certainly expired as well. The thin pack was released a few years back and their have been new releases since then. It's also not streaming online or running on VOD anywhere. Also, I'm pretty sure the later releases did restore the on screen text, except for the credits (normal practice for the time), but I could be wrong.

I'm not surprised to see DN Angel picked back up, but I was surprised to see Dicotek doing the nabbing. Its good to see it staying print, but I will skip their release. I already have the original singles and artbox which are now autographed. In fact, it was the first series I collected with an art box.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Letting licenses expire...makes me wonder why John Ledford and Matt Greenfield didn't just sell ADV in the first place.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Letting licenses expire...makes me wonder why John Ledford and Matt Greenfield didn't just sell ADV in the first place.

A company only has so many resources, so what makes more sense: spending money to acquire titles that have been on the market for years and are still readily available, or acquiring new titles that have never been released and have better sales potential?

Licenses expire. Companies get new ones. That's how the business goes, and everyone does it. Look at all the titles Geneon, Media Blasters, Funimation, Bandai, ADV, etc have let expired over the years. Despite all the license rescues in the past couple years, most shows never get picked up again.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't think a BRD release would really be possible for this show anyways. I was under the impression that a (worthwhile) BRD release was dependent on the Japanese already re-mastering it for higher resolution.

So while Nadesico could theoretically have a great BRD conversion since it was still cel-painted (look at CCS for example), DNangel was from the early digital cel-painting era undoubtedly mastered at 480p. Also doubtful there is enough detail in it to warrant the costs of BRD conversion either.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I don't think a BRD release would really be possible for this show anyways. I was under the impression that a (worthwhile) BRD release was dependent on the Japanese already re-mastering it for higher resolution.

So while Nadesico could theoretically have a great BRD conversion since it was still cel-painted (look at CCS for example), DNangel was from the early digital cel-painting era undoubtedly mastered at 480p. Also doubtful there is enough detail in it to warrant the costs of BRD conversion either.

That's my thinking here as well. If the Japanese did a true HD remaster, it's possible. But the records have been a bit spotty for this type of animation, so even if they did, I doubt it would be much of an improvement.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:

That's my thinking here as well. If the Japanese did a true HD remaster, it's possible. But the records have been a bit spotty for this type of animation, so even if they did, I doubt it would be much of an improvement.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have the Stellvia of the Universe box set from ~2003. 1-2 years ago they released the show in Japan on BRD, and I was disappointed in the quality difference from the DVD. The character art didn't really look much better, and even the CG scenes were underwhelming when you would think it would be easy to remaster those parts.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Stellvia was a digital show so the BDs would have been an upscale, but Nadesico was cel animated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nhat

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
They announced a few titles last year (around summer) but Galaxy Express 999 is still not released!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
May I be the first to say -- who? :)

Never heard of this company before...

Your not the only one, even though I've been watching anime for a decade, I have never even heard of this company before today.

But I remember this series being licensed before and it makes me wonder, will this company add anything new this disk or leave as is. Because if I were a fan of this show, that is what I'd be wondering. Especially if have the previous edition from ADV.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
aereus wrote:
May I be the first to say -- who? Smile

Never heard of this company before...

Your not the only one, even though I've been watching anime for a decade, I have never even heard of this company before today.

But I remember this series being licensed before and it makes me wonder, will this company add anything new this disk or leave as is. Because if I were a fan of this show, that is what I'd be wondering. Especially if have the previous edition from ADV.

This is actually the third former ADV license they have picked up. So far, they haven't added any additional material to any of them. In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if they had even less. Most of the special features for this were things like English VA interviews, and those often don't get put back out.

The only advantage this one may have is that the masters ADV received were composite. There is a chance DiscoTek could get component masters and there could be a slight improvement in video quality. However, we likely won't know until the set us released.

To shiroi hane, they were talking about DN Angel's potential on BR, not Nadesico. Nadesico actually has had an HD remaster and bluray release in Japan. If it were reacquired here, it could potentially have a bluray release.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Stellvia was a digital show so the BDs would have been an upscale, but Nadesico was cel animated.

Hence my pointing out that cel-animated shows converted to BRD can look really good, but the early digital stuff does not Wink

Although for its time, Stellvia really did have great character art I thought, and the CG was kinda goofy but acceptable for a TV anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3