• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pre-Tear?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucy/Nyu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
I know I can read the review on the site, nya. But I'd rather get some personal opinions that are diversified. I was thinking about starting it and I was wondering what you guys think of it. So, worth my time? Sorry if there is a better place for questions like this but I ditz out and miss things like that so ... don't flame me, nya!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
As a mahou shoujo genre it's certainly colourful. I found it a bit annoyingly slow at the start but after the first disc the second and third were much better. I found it heart warming and wrenching at the same time. A good rental.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't buy it, but it's worth at least watching. A couple times I thought it was a little cheesy, but I find a lot of magical girl shows to be this way. Either way, it's short so it doesn't drag out...plus the characters are interesting. The plot didn't appeal to me too much though.

But to me, it's one of the magical girl shows where the girl actually does more than just point her wand or whatever and boom, the enemy is dead. It has more action in it than just that, which i considered a plus.

I would say it was good, and worth my time to watch, but I wouldn't buy it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote
Pretear seems like a combination of almost all shoujo themes mushed together. It's rather fun to watch, but don't expect anything groundbreaking. Though I have to say, having Himeno actually KNOW how to fight is seriously a real treat. Very Happy

I actually prefer magical girls who already know they can kick ass which probably why I found this, Pretty Cure, and Nanoha very entertaining. Rolling Eyes
-gecko-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
I bought Pretear after watching some with my kids on On Demand. It's a pretty cute variation on a combination of the Snow White and Cinderella themes. I really got into the character developement of Himeno and her awkward family.

The story definately picks up toward the middle of the series. I don't want to get into spoilers. It isn't too deep and was quite enjoyable for me to watch with my two girls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
Pretear is definitely one of my favourite anime series (and luckily also my roommate's, who owns the whole series on DVD, which means I can mooch Anime hyper).

People have pretty much already dealt with the reasons for love, it's cute on the outside but does have substance beneath that, great characters, entertaining story (the real plot arc gets going in vol 7, the stuff before that is mainly set-up...and then there's episode 4, which I really don't like, because it's very filler-ish, but at least it's only one episode).

Definitely a recommendation if you like shoujo/magical girl.
LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Let's face it, it's not a groundbreaking series, but it's fun and charming. I personally wish they made it longer. 13 episodes felt way too short.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
LG wrote:
Let's face it, it's not a groundbreaking series, but it's fun and charming. I personally wish they made it longer. 13 episodes felt way too short.

Though in all honestly, this is based on the manga which supposedly 4 volumes long so 13 episodes may just be the right amount. Rolling Eyes

Anyone who has seen the anime and read the manga want to confirm this?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd say it's certainly worth the $25 for the thinpack. Like others have said, Pretear is a bit clichéd, but it has a lot going for it, like the connection with Snow White/fairy tales, the slapstick/violent comedy with some of the family members, the variety of costumes (transformation scenes aren't the same every time), and primarily the stories of love and betrayal that link Himeno's family, the Bishounen Seven, and the Princess of Disaster. If you can get into it, the last few episodes can be pretty emotional, judging by the reaction of the people I was watching it with--after all, everyone knows I'm a sentimental sap Anime smile + sweatdrop. All in all, Pretear is a show that I can recommend, if you can tolerate angst and magical girl silliness.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Though in all honestly, this is based on the manga which supposedly 4 volumes long so 13 episodes may just be the right amount. Rolling Eyes

Anyone who has seen the anime and read the manga want to confirm this?

The manga is indeed 4 volumes long, and it really tells a completely different story from the anime (personally I like the story better in the anime, and the characters better in the manga).

I think 13 episodes was a perfect length for Pretear, nice and short without having much filler, though as I said before I do not like the 4th episode and wish they had done something else with it, because such a short series really shouldn't have ANY filler episodes, and that's all 4 is.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I think that you will enjoy Pretear. It is a short series, but it manages to get everything you need into it.

1) Perky heroine (P.H.) with family problems.
2) P.H. meets group of really cute guys who need her help.
3) P.H. spoiler[likes one of said guys who doen't want to admit he likes her.]
4) P.H. has smart, funny best friend with glasses. Smile
5) P.H. has interesting transformation scenes.
6) P.H. has an enemy that she must defeat to save the world.

All in all everything you want in a Magical Girl anime!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think that you will enjoy Pretear. It is a short series, but it manages to get everything you need into it.

1) Perky heroine (P.H.) with family problems.
2) P.H. meets group of really cute guys who need her help.
3) P.H. spoiler[likes one of said guys who doen't want to admit he likes her.]
4) P.H. has smart, funny best friend with glasses. Smile
5) P.H. has interesting transformation scenes.
6) P.H. has an enemy that she must defeat to save the world.

All in all everything you want in a Magical Girl anime!

7) Has too much bad language for under 12s though.
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Im not really a big fan of magical girl shows but I must say that I loved Pretear. The art and costume design is beautiful and the heroine has different transformation sequences, all of which are beautiful to watch. The character interaction and development is superb with some twists that you would absolutely NOT expect. Lots of action, some sharp comedy and a great emotional ending that wraps it up nicely. Throw in some good music and you have Pretear! Definitely worth the cheap thinpak price! (I bought the singles back when it came out)
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Heh, my girlfriend picked it up on a whim, and we watched it together. At first it was pretty cliche and cookie cutter, but holy crap, the last few episodes really got to me, I think I was balling my eyes out at the ending, LOL. Its definitely a lot deeper than it appears at first glance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1