• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
Front page has confirmed that it is indeed season 2!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
Indeed it has. So...

Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
It may be for both, I can't say, but there's a bunch in there that is quite obviously about a game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
I don't really think the announcement is that exciting, as given Haruhi's popularity and the available source material, a second season was nigh on inevitable. When they give us a date, then I'll start to be excited.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
It may be for both, I can't say, but there's a bunch in there that is quite obviously about a game.

A PSP game (Yakusoku 約束), a PS2 game (Tomadoi 戸惑), a Wii game (title yet to be announced), and a second TV series.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I don't really think the announcement is that exciting, as given Haruhi's popularity and the available source material, a second season was nigh on inevitable.

Same here. It would be more surprising if they announced that they would NOT make a sequel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Starks wrote:
Front page has confirmed that it is indeed season 2!

I CAME!! Laughing
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I don't really think the announcement is that exciting, as given Haruhi's popularity and the available source material, a second season was nigh on inevitable. When they give us a date, then I'll start to be excited.

I have to admit, I wasn't as excited as I thought I would be. I guess it was a combination of the Moonphase 'announcement' last year and the inevitability of it. It was more just "Oh good, they finally confirmed it."
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
What do the boxes numbering 1-9 with various Haruhi Suzumiya no XXX titles mean? Do they mean the second season (assuming it is real) will have 9 episodes in it?

Also, what does HitokiriShadow mean by his 'Moonphase' announcement? Is a 2nd season of Moonphase being produced?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Moonphase is a Japanese anime news site that is highly regarded.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Just watched Haruhi Vol 2.

The main thing I have to report is that I did further investigating into the video quality of the domestic Haruhi releases.

[...]I stuck it into my computer's DVD drive to check the rough filesizes and bitrates. I also did the same for Haruhi 1 and 2 (the regular disc).

To my surprise, all 3 Haruhi discs are authored at a very low bitrate. Haruhi 1 and 2 are authored at 5.5 megabits/s total bitrate...which is even lower than the typical low quality standard of 6 megabits/s used my most domestic American movie DVDs and most anime DVDs from Funimation and Geneon. Furthermore, the extra broadcast order Haruhi disc, is at 5 megabits/s instead, but the video quality is the exact same...the smaller size is because of the missing English 2.0 and English 5.1 audio tracks.

But at 5 megabits/s and absolutely no extras...all 5 episodes of Haruhi fit onto a SINGLE-LAYER DVD. Anyway, so that's the report on Haruhi video quality. Smile The normal Haruhi DVDs are on double-layer DVDs due to the extras wasting space, and most of the space on the double-layer DVDs is wasted as usual.

But anyways this explains the bad quality we see in the Haruhi intros.

Ok, in the spirit of being scientific I popped in my Haruhi R2 volume 1.
It contains two episodes, one audio track, no subtitles and a few video extras.
Total size is 4269MB.
Audio bitrate is 1546Kbps (LPCM)
During the OP the bitrate displayed by PowerDVD hovered around the 8Mbps mark, reaching as high as about 8.8Mbps.

I don't have R1 volume 2 so I only have volume one with the multiple audio tracks to guage against but here are the equivalent stats:

4 episodes, three audio tracks, two subtitle streams and probably about triple the number of extras since it coveres two R2 volumes plus the ASOS stuff.
Total size is 6298Mb
Audio bitrate is 448Kbps+224kbps+224kbps=896kbps (Dolby Digital)
Video bitrate for most of the OP hovered around 4Mbps, but jumped to over 7Mbps during the busiest section, peaking around 7.8Mbps.

Comparison screenshots (as close as I could make them, and using identical settings and from the same episode):
R1:
R2:

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Melkior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
What do the boxes numbering 1-9 with various Haruhi Suzumiya no XXX titles mean? Do they mean the second season (assuming it is real) will have 9 episodes in it?

Those are the titles of the 9 light novels that have been released so far, with a short description of each.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Melkior, thanks for the info.

Shiroi, wow I didn't know any DVDs actually used raw PCM data for the audio tracks! Is this common on many Japanese R2 anime releases or is Haruhi an exception? I wonder if my DVD player would even play PCM audio correctly, although if it is a part of the official spec then I guess it should, but I've never tested it before so who knows. My cheap DVD player can't decode DTS audio, for one thing. PCM audio doesn't require decoding but the bitrate is huge so who knows what would happen.

The other comment I had is, why is the R2 pic you posted so blurry? Despite the much better level of artifacting (though I can still see some, 8 megabits/s is not transparent quality either) I can't say that I even prefer that image due to how blurry it is. Is the R2 DVD really that way?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Shiroi, wow I didn't know any DVDs actually used raw PCM data for the audio tracks! Is this common on many Japanese R2 anime releases or is Haruhi an exception?

Most R2JP and R3TW titles use LPCM (1536 kbps) with 2.0 channels. AIR on Blu-ray has LPCM 5.1 channels.

Porcupine wrote:
I wonder if my DVD player would even play PCM audio correctly, although if it is a part of the official spec then I guess it should, but I've never tested it before so who knows.

They all played perfectly fine on my computers and DVD players.

Porcupine wrote:
The other comment I had is, why is the R2 pic you posted so blurry?

I have the same question. @ Shiori: was your computer's DVD drive region-free (I doubt something like that exists), or you have used software like AnyDVD to crack the code? That *might* produce different images.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:29 am Reply with quote
The drive has hacked region free firmware and I use DVD Genie to reset the software when I run out of changes. This would have no effect on the video quality.
tenton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Comparison screenshots (as close as I could make them, and using identical settings and from the same episode):
(images snipped)

Wow, you can see the R2s are a little blurred there (in an effort to make it artifact less), at least with those two screenshots. Looks like Haruhi is too much, even for the Japanese to handle. We'll have to wait for HD versions of it, I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 124 of 213