• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anti-Piracy Act from U.S. Congress Leaked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the "I'm poor" arguement doesn't always work... I'm not earning alot of money at the moment, yet, somehow I manage to SAVE up a bit of money and treat myself to anime/manga/whatever every now and then. I might not get EVERYTHING I want, but I can still get something... I'm not rich and I wait for sales on TRSI etc. I'm not sure why more people just can't do this, if they say they can't afford stuff. Whatever your extra pocket change goes towards, is your priority.

Nowadays, people seem to spend money on more expensive toys, like iPads and whatnot, and yet still call anime expensive...

Oh and some comments on the "piracy rocks!" arguement:

Why do people always think it's about the "rich cooperations" and "stick it to the man!" People make little wage at those places too. Do people REALLY enjoy adding to the growing unemployment population? These are usually the first people they "let go" when there is financial troubles. And these are everyday men that are just trying to find a career, like anyone else strives to do.

Also, as far as the console wars go, the reason PS3 still doesn't sell quite as much is easy: 360 came out first, it got to be ahead in the race, people will sometimes buy whatever console their friends play on. So no, it's not about piracy with sales, but for what people's preferences are :/
Mmsven

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
http://www.funimation.com does, as does CrunchyRoll, many of ANN's streams, and Bandai, RightStuf,Funi and MB's Youtube accounts.

Is there a way to watch a full dubbed series on any of those? I've tried looking but couldn't find anything.

Paploo wrote:
Also, dvd's are pretty affordable in Canada. Plus, w/RS you get free shipping over 150$

Anime DVDs in British Columbia are trash. The selection is limited to maybe 40 different anime and the price is never below the suggested retail price, so prices are frequently nasty. I order all my anime through Rightstuf with free shipping when there's sales.

Jrittmayer wrote:
No, a 1:30 trailer for X-men first class isn't enough to judge the whole movie, since most trailers are supposed to look good. I have every right to pirate that movie and watch it THEN decide whether I feel like paying or not. Yeah, okay. In fact a 4 episode "trailer" is quite nice of funi, not to mention all the series they put up FOR FREE in their entirety.

I never watch a live-action movie just based on a trailer. I go by the ratings of sites like RottenTomatoes, since ratings from tons of dedicated live-action critics actually mean something completely unlike user ratings for anime. Also, free dubbed anime?

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Wait... did you just use not liking subs as an excuse to watch fansubs?

I watch my anime English dubbed as I perfectly implied. There's almost always dual audio DVD rips available.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
This thread is officially depressing. Locked.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9