• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Movie News False

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comorbid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
And for all you knuckleheazds arguing about Firefly and Serenity, it's merely a live-action Space Western heavily influenced my Eastern cultures and story elements.

I think the argument is mainly people not being able to differentiate "influenced by" from "ripping off." And for the most part, either one of those stances is strictly opinion anyway, unless the artist in question actually says, "yeah, we pretty much just blatantly ripped off ______ for this."
CaliSerenity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
That's part 1 of the problem: SM doesn't necessarily call for imagination and storytelling. It's pretty acrhetypal, considering it's the show that all following mahou shoujo shows are based/judged on.

Ignoring the monster-of-the-week theme, I always thought SM had this cool continuing storyarch over the eps. I liked the story of an alien princess reincarnated with her prince and her protectors and finding her lost true love. Anime smile

Does anyone remember Roswell? The backstory reminded me of SM - with a super-powered royal family 'reincarnated' as humans with little memories of their past life, and a protector sent down to guard them (but with a different twist on the love story Anime smile). I think the overall story of each SM season would make good movie storylines. *sigh* Finding your destined love is such a nice romance story. Anime smile

Joe Mello wrote:

Part 2 is his humor: I admit it's pretty good, but I don't think it works in this setting. Usagi isn't exactly the one to be making witty comebacks, you know.

Humor, if you've got the talent, I think can conform to any storyline. Who'd a thought that the dark brooding Angel from the Buffy storyline could deliver some funny lines with a show of his own? Anime smile

Joe Mello wrote:
And for all you knuckleheazds arguing about Firefly and Serenity, it's merely a live-action Space Western heavily influenced my Eastern cultures and story elements.

Haha. Anime smile Maybe it's just that space westerns I think are rare in American stories, and it's nearly a genre in anime - so fans make that connection to anime immediately. You've gotta admit when River came out of her kryo-sleep in a naked fetal position from inside a luggage box, that had to remind people of Outlaw Star! But like I said, I do love Firefly/Serenity. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I first heard about this rumor over at the Anime on DVD boards, but there was no official announcement on their front page (the thread is located in the Off-Topic section of the AoD fora), so I took the rumor for what it is - a rumor.

1) It's off topic for AoD's front page. AoD doesnt' report on live-action remakes. As far as I can recall, none of the confirmed live-action remakes (most of which are in pre-production hell) have been mentionned on AoD's front page, not even the very talked about Cameron remake of Gunnm.

2) Even if it was on topic, Chris Beveridge has the brains not even to dignify this kind of rumor with a post. He would have waited for, or sought out proper confirmation of the story as we did.

-t
Case

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, ANN.

Seems wrong to even gratify the person who fabricated it with even a denial story, but it's worth it to have the truth be known.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
comor:
Quote:
I think the argument is mainly people not being able to differentiate "influenced by" from "ripping off." And for the most part, either one of those stances is strictly opinion anyway, unless the artist in question actually says, "yeah, we pretty much just blatantly ripped off ______ for this."

I used to support that argument until the Stealth director admitted he liked Macross. Now I'm also thinking that the director for Batman Begins was a fan of the Bebop and Utena movies.
Maleficence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a lot of people reading and misinterpreting interviews.

In an interview with Lindsay Lohan, she said that she was trying to convince Joss Whedon to let her play Wonder Woman. But Joss had no interest in Lindsay as Wonder Woman, and stated that.

In another Lindsay Lohan interview, after Joss denied her, she said that she wanted to do any action movie and play a heroine, such as Sailor Moon. Lindsay Lohan just used it as an example, and wasn't trying to imply that there was a Sailormoon movie in production. And there was never any attachment to Joss Whedon.

These are just people mixing interviews and misinterpreting them
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Maleficence wrote:
I think this is a lot of people reading and misinterpreting interviews.

In an interview with Lindsay Lohan, she said that she was trying to convince Joss Whedon to let her play Wonder Woman. But Joss had no interest in Lindsay as Wonder Woman, and stated that.

In another Lindsay Lohan interview, after Joss denied her, she said that she wanted to do any action movie and play a heroine, such as Sailor Moon. Lindsay Lohan just used it as an example, and wasn't trying to imply that there was a Sailormoon movie in production. And there was never any attachment to Joss Whedon.

These are just people mixing interviews and misinterpreting them

That, or another possibility is that it could've been a belated April Fools' joke. Makes me wonder what the Animage article in question actually said.
Erufu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
KDRudy wrote:
I'm amazed at how many people thought this could be true, how funny. Thanks for finally killing the rumor.

Plus, Whedon wouldn't cast Lindsay Lohan, I'd imagine Trachtenberg would be on the fast track for the title role.
I can't imagine him castnig Trachtenberg in any future role as she has been quoted in saying that she didn't like her character in Buffy because it was poorly written and made her speak "below her level".

Besides that slight off topic remark, I'm happy with the live action series. It's just like a train wreck; you just can't look away.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I think that remake of Outlaw Star[What was it again? Serenity?] he did last year just proved he wasn't cut out to adapt anime. Rolling Eyes

I'm a bit late on this one, but this quote is irritating. The concept of Firefly/Serenity wasn't the newest, the inspiration however came from a pair of novels that predate Outlaw Star by a significant margin. Like it or not Outlaw Star wasn't the first time those minor elements were brought in to play, and minor they were as the two shows are actually very different as anyone who has actually bothered to watch them would know. But as usual, there's a similarity some always have to whine "rip-off" but when the roles are switched it's always dismissed.

I'll also go on record with this, Firefly was easily a greater show than Outlaw Star managed to be in my opinion. Better characters, better writing, greater depth and meaning, Outlaw Star was only average to me.

As for the Sailor Moon movie news, that's no surprise and I figured as much. Whedon has his plate full with other projects as he has discussed in interviews since Serenity was released, none of which were a Sailor Moon project or even sounded like they could be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ENJN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
That, or another possibility is that it could've been a belated April Fools' joke. Makes me wonder what the Animage article in question actually said.

I've only looked through the May issue but as far as I can tell it says absolutely nothing about anything. It's not really a news magazine and they don't seem to write about anything other than anime either, they don't even cover manga. Whoever wrote the original rumor used it as an excuse.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

Last time I checked, Japan doesn't even celeberate April Fool's Day, so why would they do a belated April Fool's joke? Besides, Genvid.com also checked the May issue of Animage and they couldn't find anything, either. Quoted from Genvid.com's front page, "Regarding the unsubstantiated rumor that Japanese magazine Animage has announced that Fox has picked up the rights for a live action Sailor Moon flick starring Lindsay Lohan, the May issue of Animage says nothing. I read through it myself. ANN is looking into the April issue and could write about that as early as tonight." It is a false rumor started by some whiny Sailor Moon fan with no life, nothing more, nothing less.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
aresgoddess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
[Do not triple post. Use the Edit Button. --Nagi]
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks again for clearing this up. I was a little worried, not but Joss Whedon cus well the man is a genus. I think he would have done an awsome job on a sailor moon movie. BUt Lindsey Lohan as sailormoon, that had me seriously freaking out. So thank you so much ANN for clearing this up, I always knew you would.
BehindPastEyes
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I actually found this out on Rangerboard, so we've talking about this for last couple including our ideas of what would happen if there was a live-action Sailor Moon. Thought it was bogus due to fact last timne I checked, Kaiser Toei had the rights to the anime under lock and key and currently having a big beef with Naoko Takeuchi over the rights. Plus, due to the nature of Starlights in either medium, no one in the English speaking nation will get to see Sailor Stars unless you had BT.

And then for some dumb reason, they're not even allowing PGSM to come over here. They would make a good amount of money off the live action series depending on the distributor. But obiously, they're not even thinking of that since Toei's firm round butt has the lips of 4Kids Entertainment permantly attached. (Not to mention their ludicrous demands for a Battle Royale release.)

Personally, I think we won't have any Sailor Moon movies until Toei decides to smart and release the rights to ADV so they can give it a brand new shiny faithful English dub like Macross and Gatchaman, so Cartoon Network can show it outside Toonami and get more ratings. Luci Christian would own as Sailor Moon, Mars, or Venus.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Thanks again for clearing this up. I was a little worried, not but Joss Whedon cus well the man is a genus. I think he would have done an awsome job on a sailor moon movie. BUt Lindsey Lohan as sailormoon, that had me seriously freaking out. So thank you so much ANN for clearing this up, I always knew you would.

Lindsey Lohan doesn't look like Sailor Moon and I hope if there is a Sailor Moon movie she wouldn't play her. I heard that Gina Davis was going to be Queen Baryl in that movie, but I think that is a rumour. I can see Reese Witherspoon doing a great job as Sailor Venus; not sure about who would do a good job of Sailor moon or the rest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4