• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonic720

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Here's another brain-teaser for anyone who has an answer--for as long as everyone's stayed trapped in the game world, do their bodies really somehow not starve to death?

I actually was thinking about that the first time I watched the show, and lo and behold they addressed that issue in the Aincrad arc. Someone in the game mentions how their bodies would be dying on the outside and their need to get out before they expire. I could spoil more, but I'll just say they address that point better than any other point of contention people think stands to reason.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Here's another brain-teaser for anyone who has an answer--for as long as everyone's stayed trapped in the game world, do their bodies really somehow not starve to death?

that gets answered later
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that error in spelling in the review. When it was said watching it on a big tv is like wearing Netgear, it should be NERVGEAR. Just wanted to point that out Razz
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

that gets answered later

People sometimes get bedridden unconscious for years (without starving to death, obviously). It is nothing new or sci-fi; just regular medicine. So I am not sure why the question.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Sasukeuzi wrote:
I'd like to point out that error in spelling in the review. When it was said watching it on a big tv is like wearing Netgear, it should be NERVGEAR. Just wanted to point that out Razz

My Netgear does many things. Virtual Reality isn't one of them Smile
sonic720

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
Sasukeuzi wrote:

My Netgear does many things. Virtual Reality isn't one of them Smile

Oh crap, and here I already put in an order for the Netgear thinking I could dive into SAO... Laughing
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
People sometimes get bedridden unconscious for years (without starving to death, obviously). It is nothing new or sci-fi; just regular medicine. So I am not sure why the question.

A valid point I didn't think of before posting what I wrote--regardless, don't a lot of these gamers live alone? I think I remember the one guy Kirito befriends in the first episode saying he was a loner in real life. So how long would it take for someone to find these peoples' bodies before they start physically suffering?

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, of course. It's just one of those kinds of questions where even I'm perhaps over-thinking on a show that's clearly meant to be mindless fun. I'd like it to be a little more than that if I were to finish this show on Toonami, because again it's just not distinct enough that I find it as intriguing as its fans do.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
They explain the bit about what's happening with players' bodies IRL in the very first episode - and this isn't some tiny, casually-mentioned detail, either. When explaining the situation to the players, Akihito outright says that authorities have been informed about all of the people who are trapped in the game so that their bodies can be looked after. (Having them die from withering away IRL with defeat the implied purpose of his grand experiment, after all.) And people can live for years in a comatose state while being fed intravenously, so that's hardly a problem, either.

And patchy_boy, while Zac, Bamboo, and a few others have been very vocal about the series going downhill in the long run, keep in mind that their position is far from a universally-held one and there are many (including me) who disagree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
The problem I have with SAO is that I feel like I've missed 5 episodes inbetween each episode. The show is too episodic to me so it confuses me.

The production team made the mistake of adapting the novel volume where each chapters are supposed to be episodic in their chronological order. They were more meant to be extra materials rather than parts of a continuing plot. That was my biggest issue with the show.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
The problem I have with SAO is that I feel like I've missed 5 episodes inbetween each episode. The show is too episodic to me so it confuses me.

The production team made the mistake of adapting the novel volume where each chapters are supposed to be episodic in their chronological order. They were more meant to be extra materials rather than parts of a continuing plot. That was my biggest issue with the show.

Either way the story is still terrible.

Also, this is the /best/ part of the show. Its all downhill from here!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And patchy_boy, while Zac, Bamboo, and a few others have been very vocal about the series going downhill in the long run, keep in mind that their position is far from a universally-held one and there are many (including me) who disagree.

The waifu stuff takes hold of this show early on and quietly strangles it to death.
sonic720

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
... while Zac, Bamboo, and a few others have been very vocal about the series going downhill in the long run, keep in mind that their position is far from a universally-held one and there are many (including me) who disagree.

I actually agree with Zac that the Fairy Dance arc has some issues and is overall less inviting as the Aincrad arc, but by no means do I think it is bad or unwatchable (just less stellar than Aincrad in my view). The thing with Zac's take on SAO is he automatically writes off all positive aspects the show has because he feels the show is only good for pandering to otaku waifu wish fulfillment escapist whatever. So, I can't take his opinion seriously when he jumps to that conclusion at the expense of all that SAO gets right.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I stopped a couple of episodes into the Fairy Dance arc. I felt insulted by the way this show treated not only women period but women gamers, and the FD arc pushed it over the line.

Poor Asuna, so much promise as a character.

And I tend to avoid using Gary Stu/Mary Sue labels for a lot of reasons, but Kirito is absolutely a GS.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Key wrote:

The waifu stuff takes hold of this show early on and quietly strangles it to death.

I wouldn't phrase it precisely that way, but this show has no respect for women. At all.

Its not the most grossly misogynistic anime of the last few years, but its probably the one that was most disappointing in that respect.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Zump wrote:
I have a theory regarding this issue: the show takes place in a world without government regulation.

That theory goes straight out the window when you remember that SAO takes place in the same universe as Accel World. And in AC, there most definitely ARE government regulation, since things like the BIC were banned shortly after they were put on sale, and it became illegal to use one.

Zac wrote:

And don't even get me started on the second half of this show. I don't think I've ever seen a good premise go down in flames THIS hard. If the blatant and constant ass-pulls the OP main character does won't kill it for you, them maybe the downright abysmal writing, the downright misogynistic treatment of a certain character, or the pseudo I-may-love-my-brother sub-plot just might.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8