• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Electronic Exponent

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised any one can think Nintendo had a good conference.

I mean there was only one Wii game, and the WiiU.

The showed it off with mostly tech demos, making a point to tell us these weren't games.

Only three exclusives where annouced
Super smash broths, without a single Screen shot
Lego City, with only a few screenshots
and a tekken game, with actual footage.

But the Multiplatform games looked like they where running on the 360, probably due to the fact that all the Multiplatform games we saw where running on the 360, Reggie admitted this on an interview with game trailers.

I mean come on, this console is less than a year away. This kind of presentation would barely be acceptable for a console 2+ years away.
gothung

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

Considering that I liked FF XIII and think it is a good game, I am going to pick up XIII-2 once it comes out.

Guess I'm one of the rare people that didn't really have a problem with XIII either. I didn't ask for it to cure cancer or end world hunger, just entertain me for a while, and as a game, it did just that. And as such, I look forward to XIII-2. Don't set unreasonably high expectations and you'll start to nitpick even the best of games.

Example: Another game that had pretty obvious flaws was Nier (PS3), but it was still a nice game with a great story (especially if you play towards the second-fourth endings). Plus, it was on sale recently at Best Buy for $10 so go get it! (Just checked, it's back up to $20... still probably worth it for most folks though).

Penguin_Factory wrote:

My only real disappointment with Sony is that The Last Guardian appears to be totally absent from the show.

SERIOUSLY. The Last Guardian (from what I last read online) was delayed until December 2012! At least we'll get the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus bundle this holiday season.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
Todd wrote:
Both Noel and Serah are playable, because if there's any Final Fantasy XIII character that we wanted to follow, it's Lightning's weepy, boring, easily manipulated sister.

I thought that the one Todd disliked was Lightning. Whatever, he maybe dislikes both of them.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
gothung wrote:

Guess I'm one of the rare people that didn't really have a problem with XIII either. I didn't ask for it to cure cancer or end world hunger, just entertain me for a while, and as a game, it did just that. And as such, I look forward to XIII-2. Don't set unreasonably high expectations and you'll start to nitpick even the best of games.

The difference here is, Final Fantasy XIII (Should be obvious) isn't the first in the franchise, there were 20 years worth of games before it, 8 of the main games and most of the spin-offs are dead perfect, so you shouldn't be so quick to shoot down people's expectations considering we grew up with expansive, story rich, amazing RPG's, and not the out of touch, linear piece of garbage that is XIII, you know a game is bad, when its sequel fare is toting game mechanics and additions that have been in every game before it. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
gothung wrote:

The difference here is, Final Fantasy XIII (Should be obvious) isn't the first in the franchise, there were 20 years worth of games before it, 8 of the main games and most of the spin-offs are dead perfect, so you shouldn't be so quick to shoot down people's expectations considering we grew up with expansive, story rich, amazing RPG's, and not the out of touch, linear piece of garbage that is XIII, you know a game is bad, when its sequel fare is toting game mechanics and additions that have been in every game before it. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Just because it is different doesn't mean it is bad. I've played other FF games before, and a change now and then is not always a bad thing. I liked the linear game play from XIII but I can see why others would not like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Sony has stated that all games bought through PSN will work with the vita. They will also be enhanced on the Vita by smoothing and dual analog support for all games. Of coarse if all youv'e been buying are UMD's you're screwed.

Oh what? But all I own are UMDs. Balls... D:

The Count wrote:
You will find no one more likely to agree with you than me, but having watched all three press conferences, the Smash Bros announcement garnered the largest applause I can recall. So guess what you and I can expect more of, Yeah. Crying or Very sad

Le sigh. They really should have stopped with Brawl.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
So am I the only one in here that's legitimately excited about Duke Nukem Forever? Razz
_Emi_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Not at all. I'm also legitimately excited about Duke Nukem Forever. Come June 14, I'll be too busy having fun to be whining about what other people like. Even though I'm playing the demo, I keep thinking I'll blink and the thing will disappear.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
OH SWEET MERCIFUL LORD OUR PLEAS HAVE BEEN HEARD!

Kotaku's Stephen Totilo wrote:

American Wii owners who've looked lustfully at some acclaimed Japanese Wii games will have to lust some more. During a wide-ranging interview with Kotaku, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said he had "nothing to announce" regarding whether role-playing games Xenoblade and The Last Story as well as action game Pandora's Tower would be coming to North America. They could; they could not. He had no news on that. Sorry, folks. We'll have much more from Fils-Aime in the coming days.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I cant wait to play Duke Nukem Forever and chew bubble gum.

And then run out of bubble gum.
rrizqiw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
i kinda sad that most people think Vita is just Ps3 portable when half of the game you cannot play on Ps3 because of using Vita feature
Myznomer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote
I'm a little disappointed by Agarest Zero's mundane special edition, because the first game's was probably the best gift I have given my friend. It was pretty hilarious to watch him basically shove the box under the table and move on to the next present.

belvadeer wrote:
Happy 3rd Todd! It's been a joy following along with your articles and commenting on them all this time. =D

FFXIII-2: What do you have against Laura Bailey anyway dude? XD

I thought he mentioned her frequently because he liked her. And rightly so. Laura Bailey is one of the most amazing American voice actors out there.

Also, about Vita not supporting UMDs: t(-_-t)
Sorry, Sony, if I don't put my trust in the online services of lackwits, but I went the safe route of having all my games in physical form. Oh, what's that? Why yes, I do have a Steam account. Difference being, Steam is run by a core group of dedicated and trustworthy people. It's okay, I'm having more fun with my PSP that doubles as a Game Boy Advance (and triples as a Super Nintendo, and etc. etc.). I'm sure you'll make the Vita "hackproof" anyway, thus removing all the coolest things about the PSP.
lyransi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:16 am Reply with quote
Noel's cute! I'm looking forward to giving FF13-2 a shot even though I didn't care enough for any of the characters to try FF13.
gothung

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:

Whew... 8 of the 14 main games and most of the spin-offs dead perfect? That's way worse of an assumption/generalization than even what I said.

Look, I've played most of the games: I, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XIII, Tactics, Crystal Chronicles, FF: Adventure, Tactics Advanced, Tactics Advanced 2, CC: Ring of Fates, and Mystic Quest... plus further spin-offs into the SaGa, Mana, Chocobo, and Kingdom Hearts series...
(Holy crap that's actually a huge list... makes me wonder how much of my life I've poured into the FF universe)

Anyway, I played all those games and managed to enjoy all of them. Even the generally reviled Mystic Quest or the weak Crystal Chronicles series. Calling everything "dead perfect" is too quick an assessment. They all have flaws... ALL OF THEM... it's just that people tend to fanboy certain games and excuse all of that game's flaws, yet nitpick on every single little thing of games they didn't like. Just learn to go with the flow of each particular game and enjoy what's there rather than what's not.

Example: FFXIII has no world map, no towns, and is very linear! ...So? The important parts are still there. Could it have benefited from a proper dungeon for exploration? Sure, but having a massive world map isn't that important. Look at World of Warcraft.... HUGE map... and most people ignore it and fly from point to point anyways. They just like the idea that if they WANTED to explore, they could, even though most will never step outside of the linear paths between objectives.
No towns? Sure you lose that bit of exploration, but again, what do most people do anyways? Talk to every villager once, then ignore them for most of the game. Go through the houses like a crazed klepto, and never reenter them again. Then they go grind in dungeons and only return to buy/sell stuff. People spent most of their time outside of town anyways, so Squeenix tried cutting them out for a game. All the world building atmosphere is still there in the pseudo-towns like Palumpolum, Nautilus, etc.

(And don't try to say differently... how many people go back to random NPC's to "catch up"? Once the player realizes they'll never change what they say, they're forgotten.)

Now, am I saying XIII is perfect? Nope. I'm part of the "I'd like to have the option to explore even if I never do". But I didn't let myself focus only on the negative aspects to the point of not enjoying the rest of the game.

Now regarding XIII-2, maybe the only reason they're throwing "game mechanics and additions that have been in every game before it" into the sequel is because people have all been bitching and moaning because FF changed and now they're not familiar with their recipe cookie cutter RPG that they've come to expect. they tried to innovate, the mass didn't want/like new ideas, and so Squeenix folded and catered to the fandom instead.

Or maybe they're including it because it honestly makes the game better in areas that were identified as weak. I dunno, I didn't notice because I was having too much fun playing the game rather than analyzing faults.

TLDR: Stop focusing only on the negative and being quick to judge. Go with the flow and enjoy what's there instead of only looking at what's not. Go in with REASONABLE expectations.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Enough shooters
Unfortunately, this is nearly all we saw, outside of the games Nintendo had to show off. I find that Michael Pachter tends to be very wrong with his predictions (though he supposedly admits this about his monthly predictions), he was spot on about E3 this year, saying that next to nothing other than shooters would be announced.
rrizqiw wrote:
i kinda sad that most people think Vita is just Ps3 portable when half of the game you cannot play on Ps3 because of using Vita feature
I think it's because so many of the games they've announced for it are playable on the PS3, as well. Sort of like how the Wii U is considered an HD Wii, with games that are already going to be available to you if you own a 360/PS3, so there seems to be little benefit in upgrading at this point in time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3